USB C ports

Reaction score
Looking at the new A3, it seems that there are only 2 usb c ports. With the old usb 3 ports on my ford ,I could plug in a very discreet memory stick for my music. Being a little thick (due to getting older), apart from plugging in phone I for CarPlay and android auto ,what do you use the new ports for? . I have looked but cannot find any really small (in physical size) memory sticks.
Any recommendations please.

I have a short 90 degree "USB-C OTG" cable ( £6 from Amazon ) plugged into the right hand USB-C socket. Plugged into it is a standard USB-A "memory stick" full of audio. It all sits in the little recess and the 90 degree angle on the USB-C means that the cable hugs the wall of the recess. I found that if I plugged it into the left hand socket then it auto-played on startup which I do not want as generally prefer automatic bluetooth play from my phone.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Thank you for your reply ,will have a look when I test drive in a couple of weeks time

Been advised here on the forum (if I wanted to play music from USB) was to get a small USB-A to USB-C plug adaptor and plug to the left USB-C. I already have a very small (size of the tip of my pinky finger) usb A- drive already from previous car which I hope to carry over.

Reactions: Maddave and AdamInKent
I am in the same position , I am trying spotify at the moment , just don't like the idea of paying for it :flushed:. But I am very impressed.

I am in the same position , I am trying spotify at the moment , just don't like the idea of paying for it :flushed:. But I am very impressed.
I have an Alexa auto plugged in to the second usb slot, with Spotify (I already pay for a family account as listen to alot of music at home)

I've found its perfect as the Alexa voice control allows me to play music over Spotify and also allows me to make calls without having to press anything, though will occasionally use the Audi voice control for phone too (Hey Audi doesn't work on my MMI unfortunately).

Reactions: Billy Shears and Maddave
Have a look at the Sandisk Ultras - you can stick music on it with your PC even if you don't have USB-C on there because it has both USB-C and USB-A rather than using an adapter - only one connector is exposed at a time so it's still very compact https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-Type-C-Flash-Drive

Reactions: Maddave
Sorry last link was duff I think - try this Amazon product

another recommendation for the san disk ultra Dual drive - very compact

28D3C370 DC06 4E7E AAFF 046C27F8F674
6A02074E A321 4DA2 8011 0A6B0DF964CF
79EAB03C EB43 4D27 971C 662FC842DC3B

One possible issue with this approach is that it will stick out into the "cuddy hole / storage space and thus risk damaging the usb socket. See above re suggestion re 90 degree connector. Just my 2d worth ( fwiw ).

I will have a proper look when I give it a test drive and if I decide to go for it.
Thanks for all the input

One possible issue with this approach is that it will stick out into the "cuddy hole / storage space and thus risk damaging the usb socket. See above re suggestion re 90 degree connector. Just my 2d worth ( fwiw ).
I don't think it really has the weight to damage it, it's incredibly light.

I don't think it really has the weight to damage it, it's incredibly light.
My concern was not so much the weight but the leverage when I put something in the cuddy on top of it ( which you could guarantee that I would do before long ) :((

Hello, if you don't want to pay for it, maybe you can try to use Spotify Converter to download Spotify songs and playlists offline from your free account. As far as I know, Spotify allows everyone to access its music library for free. With the help of this tool, you won't pay for it anymore.
It's a possible way, you can give it a try!

To be honest I just use wireless apple CarPlay. This is how I used music in my S3 8V on SD memory card but find it easier to use CarPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

725c85625a3aff9b5cc11d24ab139de0.jpg

Adapter
Amazon product

Usb drive
Amazon product

I go the same USB drive i intend to carry over. Interestingly my previous longer USB port was in the arm rest storage area, which I hardly use, but i still managed to bend a previous longer usb drive, so yea, if it sticks out too much, eventually one will knock it or bend/break it.

Do your USBs when playing music, end up very warm (or I was say even hot) to touch? Don't remember that USB drive particularly being warm to touch when playing from my home Hifi's USB port...

Do your USBs when playing music, end up very warm (or I was say even hot) to touch? Don't remember that USB drive particularly being warm to touch when playing from my home Hifi's USB port...

It’s ever so slightly warm when just plugged in. I’m sitting in the car now waiting for my girlfriend to get home so playing music now from the usb rather than my usual wireless apple CarPlay. So I’ll know in a few minutes I guess.

Yes does get slightly warmer but nothing to worry about.

Is there no SD card slot on the new A3’s, on my 2017 model I have all my music on a SD card which is plugged into the MMI unit in the glove box?

No, no SD card slot, but i did the same as another user, bought an adapter and transferred the contents of my SD card onto a flash drive and it works perfectly. As long as it’s in slot 1 it automatically plays whenever the ignition is on, and thankfully no worries about the Apple CarPlay gemlins.

725c85625a3aff9b5cc11d24ab139de0.jpg

Adapter
Amazon product

Usb drive
Amazon product

Feels like a bit of a step back and waste of a USB port. Taking a delivery of a new A3 in Sept so will probably get myself a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB stick, should be small enough to be unobtrusive.

In a bizarre twist the RS3 has this as standard according to the configurator - If you press the little i next to the model it lists everything - Why they would go back to this from the 8V is beyond me or it's an error which is entirely possible

Jukebox hard drive memory for music (10GB)

· DVD drive for music CDs and video DVDs

· 2 x SDXC card reader

· 2x USB charging points

· AUX-IN

I had 2 Seat's before and the MMI unit was in the glovebox and had 2 SD card readers. Slot 1 for navigatino, slot 2, well for me it was for music. But anyway, the V40 after only had a USB, so I just used the same USB and carried it over, no issues. Just needed a low profile / slim USB A to C adaptor. I haven't used the 2nd USB-C just yet (as haven't got a USB C to USB C cable.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur, and I have happily used an old iPod shuffle for the last 12 years in various cars all which allowed discreet storage either in the glovebox or under the armrest (Audi/Volvo/Seat). Collected new A3, only USBC's and both on show, anyhow - so invested in a pair of A-C converters (quite small) - plugged said iPod into the system to be told - this is incompatible.....

Saw the streaming option in the menu, but this is only for Amazon Music as I can see, and you need to sign up to a data plan with the car - so it looks like I will either have to:

a - Convert all my iTunes to USB
b - Stream spotify through my phone - so will not have any search ability through the MMI

Or does anyone else have a better idea?

Or does anyone else have a better idea?
Like you, in my last car I used a iPod, which I kept permanently in the car. In the Audi I use my phone as an iPod (ie I’ve downloaded all of my albums onto it). That allows me to play my music, under control of the MMI, either wired or wireless.

Like you, in my last car I used a iPod, which I kept permanently in the car. In the Audi I use my phone as an iPod (ie I’ve downloaded all of my albums onto it). That allows me to play my music, under control of the MMI, either wired or wireless.
That is helpful, but I assume you have an iPhone - I have a Samsung :(

I do indeed have an iPhone. So Samsung phones can’t store music for playback over a usb or Bluetooth connection? :sign omg:
Obv they do, but it leaves me still on option 1 where I need to convert all the iTunes files to be compatable

Obv they do, but it leaves me still on option 1 where I need to convert all the iTunes files to be compatable
quick question - y do you need to convert

I just copied my iTunes folder direct to my usb on my pc and it works

quick question - y do you need to convert

I just copied my iTunes folder direct to my usb on my pc and it works
Great, thanks I will give that a go! I just remember in days gone it needed to be in a different format.