Urgent rear springs help

Jenno007

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am currently in the process of installing coilovers on my S3. It has been everything but smooth sailing as it's my first time doing anything with the suspension.

I have a question. The rear springs don't sit properly. Am I supposed to re use the rubber mount? It keeps the spring in the centre of the seat, but doesn't fit in the bottom of the spring completely.

47fbf2daca535f2fa00d9a42ff302b77.jpg

I am hoping I can just drive around and they will settle in. I'm not sure if this is dangerous though as the spring could potentially pop out?

I want to try get these in today so urgent help would be appreciated

When you lower the car back on the floor with its wheels on, the rubber spring seat should pop up into the spring. I presume you've tried lowering it though?

A bit of lube on the rubber might help?

If it won't go in, then check they're the right rear springs.

When you lower the car back on the floor with its wheels on, the rubber spring seat should pop up into the spring. I presume you've tried lowering it though?

A bit of lube on the rubber might help?

If it won't go in, then check they're the right rear springs.
Yeah I've tried lowering it. I will try a bit of grease, not sure why I didn't put some on before. Thanks for the help. They are the correct Springs so I'm hoping a bit of driving and they will pop in

Try taking the rubber seat off the car and try inserting it into the bottom of the spring before fitting the whole assembly into place.

So have the bottom of the spring directly onto the car? No rubber seat? Is that safe / okay to do?

No, you need the rubber spring seat, or it will be noisy as heck.

I mean, try fitting the rubber seat to the spring off the car, then insert that whole assembly (ie the rubber seat already fitted to the spring) into place. Try some grease on the locating piece on the suspension arm too, should help it all go back together nicely.

Edit: looking at your pic again, are you sure the spring and adjuster are the right way up? As a rule of thumb, markings on the springs should be able to be read right way up....

Ah right. Yes I gave that a go, and even in the vice I couldn't do it (my vice is slightly too small. I might buy another rubber seat. I'm thinking the coilovers are supposed to have an after market one.

Thanks for the help mate

Didn't see you edit. They are AP coilovers. I'm quite sure they are the correct way up, but you make a good point. I will take them off after work tomorrow and try them the other way around

Just found

images

AND

images

Seems like I got them in the wrong way around.

If someone could confirm that, that would be fantastic!

Otherwise thanks everyone for their help

Still think your springs look odd, compared to those on there site i.e. pig tail at both ends, but may just be me.

PS mind and disconnect the level sensor for the lights, if not already done

mark

I reconnected the level sensor, do I want to leave it unplugged?

I'm pretty sure the previous owner has installed after market front lights anyway as they have a manual height adjuster.

I think the image you're referring to is a bit misleading. If you carefully look at the bottom of the spring it appears to be a bit wider than the top? But yeah you are right, they do look a bit different to mine..

Sorry...ye reconnect the sensor when done.
It just looks like the top of the spring could move about if not tight around the top cone.

As said it may just be me, im sure there should be someone on here to correct me.

cheers
mark

Still looks wrong to me as I would think the spring needs to be positively located

<tuffty/>

There are some plastic carriers at the top to keep the spring in place (which I didn't have fitted in this photo).

So I'm thinking if I flip the spring and have the plastic carrier at the bottom and the height adjuster at the top it will hopefully sit okay.. I know there is no way to know without trying, but to be honest I found this job a pain the in a$$, so I thought I would ask to see if someone could tell me what I was doing wrong before I waste any more time.

There were none provided. They documents that came with the coilovers said "fit suspension" and basically had a heap of warnings

Thanks mate. Going to change them today. Can't wait to drive the car! Only problem is my wishbone bushes are f@#$ed, so that will be next on the list to change

Thanks for all the help guys, flipped the springs today and they fit perfectly. The car feels so much better, can't wait to fit all the suspension bushes and get an alignment