----- Urgent, PLEASE HELP!! Car left on side of road :-( -----

Audi-A3-97

Reaction score
Hey pps,

Just bought my 1st Audi 2 days ago, so not a great tech head with them atm...

On my way home tonight, with petti light on n bleeping... About 500m away from petti garage, and she broke down.
Called a m8, bought 2 jerry cans of petti, filled her up, and turned her over a fair few times... But nothing...
not even wanting to start, but cranking over fine, until battery died.

Got the jump leads out. Another 10mins turning her over still nothing, so had to leave in the layby.

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEA HOW TO START HER BACK UP IN THE MORNING? ANY LITTLE TWEEKS I CAN DO TO HELP??

cheers,

usual thing when ya run out of petrol they take ages to get going again and usually jump leads i end up borrowing when i trouble are shot and waste of time.probably go first thing in morning!

What the hell?

Petti, M8, ATM?

It sounds like you need to buy an XR3i and maybe get a GCSE in anything.

Why are the always people, correcting grammar, and taking the **** on forums, lol. I find it so funny. A GCSE? Thanks I have plenty, hence why I'm a qualified electrician! Not a chavvy c*nt.

just got in, and too tired to type on iphone, so use abbreviations, to save time and get on with my life. U know, actually doing things I enjoy doing? Other than, trying to make yourself feel big/better by taking the p**s out of others. U know?

THANKS TO THE REPLYS FROM THE DECENT PPS BTW (by the way) lol,
hopefully have it going in the morning

You will get better replys if you talk in normal English on here. I've never ran out of petrol but am I right thinking perhaps disconnecting the fuel filter and see if petrol is reaching it? If its got that far then at least you know I should start soon when it makes it's way to the engine.

Judderman, is there really any need for that? Do you know who the OP is? Doubt it! If your going to be like that dont bother posting please, the poor kid is trying to ask for help and your just giving him stick for no reason.

Anyway, have you got access to vagcom or a a fault code reader? Maybe worth scanning the car to see if any error codes come up! As said unplug the fuel filter or pull the fuel rail out and see if fuels getting to the engine, if t is then you can eliminate a faulty fuel pump and look at other avenues.

Well yes... does sound a bit better than an xr3i. I'll check if the easy start doesn't work.

Cheers dani,

its funny you say that... I bought the car 2 days ago after my e36 323i coupe got written off.
i had the fault codes read yesterday, as the car isn't accelerating properly. Think it might be the ignition control module...
any way... Here are the fault codes

Basic settings p1559 intermittent
00544 maximum boost pressure intermittent
00561 mixture adaptation adaptation limit (ADD) exceeded
16500 coolant temperature sensor, G62 not a plausible signal, PO116 intermittent
16514 O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1, malfunction in circuit P0130 intermittent
00515 intake manifold pressure control limit exceeded, intermittent
17967 throttle body (j338) fault in basic settings P1559 intermittent

coolant temp could make it a ****** to start if giving wrong signal.sounds like throttle body could do with cleaning and re alighning to tbh

....just got in, and too tired to type on iphone, so use abbreviations, to save time and get on with my life. U know, actually doing things I enjoy doing?...

Appreciate what you are saying but do please consider that if its difficult to understand then it doesn't save us any time trying to workout what you mean to be able to help you...

Cheers dani,
Basic settings p1559 intermittent
00544 maximum boost pressure intermittent
00561 mixture adaptation adaptation limit (ADD) exceeded
16500 coolant temperature sensor, G62 not a plausible signal, PO116 intermittent
00515 intake manifold pressure control limit exceeded, intermittent

Guessing this lot was from a generic fault code reader and not VCDS so here goes.... I assume by your username you have a 1997 A3 1.8t... this is an AGU engine code and almost everything to do with how the engine runs is derived from the mass airflow sensor (MAF)... if that goes then all sorts of stuff can go wrong (some seemingly unrelated too)...

These two would be first thing to look at...

I would consider replacing both sensors.... use a genuine Bosch O2 (lambda) sensor as cheap ones will give you pain...

17967/P1559/005465 - Ross-Tech Wiki

This won't help either... yours is a cable throttle not drive by wire so TB adaption process is a little different... try this..
Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Throttle Body Alignment

I think the rest of the codes could be symptomatic of the other faults...
00544 - doesn't come up specifically but was referenced here...
01262 - Ross-Tech Wiki

00561 - mixture adaptation adaptation limit (ADD) exceeded (sounds MAF related)
00561 - Ross-Tech Wiki

00515 intake manifold pressure control limit exceeded, intermittent... this code resolves as..
00515 - Ross-Tech Wiki (00515 - Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40)) (I suspect this will not help the starting issue)

...could be wiring issues in there too...

Ignition amp issues will manifest as a permanent misfire (cyl 3 typically)... new IMC required or there are a few guides on how to 'repair' them floating around on the web..

<tuffty/>

It just bothers me when people don't bother to try to write in English. An iPhone has a spell check and auto-corrects as you type so that's no excuse.

You get replies on forums like mine because when someone else has problems with their car they search and use English words, and therefore this post is pointless if it's all text-speak. It saves people creating new threads if everything is readable.

Hope you get it fixed.

Ok, so popped down to the moter. Took fuel line off injector rail, and found no petrol was getting through... Replaced fuse, job done...
As for the fault codes, I'll sort my sensors in the week.
thanks for all your help,

Ok, so popped down to the moter. Took fuel line off injector rail, and found no petrol was getting through... Replaced fuse, job done...
As for the fault codes, I'll sort my sensors in the week.
thanks for all your help,

Assuming this was the fuel pump fuse? unusual for that to blow for no apparent reason... this could be related to one of the fault codes (00561 - mixture adaptation adaptation limit (ADD) exceeded) you are having... I would check the fuel filter maybe as this could be blocked... if its blocked then fuel pressure will be low causing the ECU to try and add fuel as AFR is not correct... a blocked filter will also cause extra load on the fuel pump causing more current draw and subsequently blowing the use...

Fuel filter is a inexpensive thing to replace tbh and worth doing tbh... while you are at it it maybe worth while checking the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) too... this requires a vacuum pipe to it as its a rising rate regulator... if the vacuum pipe is damaged (or missing) then lack of fuel pressure will also cause the ECU to adapt more fuel in...

<tuffty/>

So I replaced the coil pack on cyl no. 3 yesterday and it sorted a lot of problems with acceleration... Then had my codes wiped.
Did a few miles today so going to have the codes re-read tomorrow, n see what needs sorting.