Urgent Help Required - RNS-E Bluetooth Coding

Avus Sportback

Reaction score
Hello, I know these topics have been posted a million times but I still can't get my RNS-E to see my Bluetooth module.

I have a 2008 (57) A3 8P 2.0 TDI - and I have MFSW - Factory fit RNS-E - 6 CD Changer and Cruise.

I have installed the Bluetooth module and coded it 10422 ???, my original coding was 11822

The bluetooth connects to my phone and works as it should, the sound comes through the speaker, it displays in the middle of the instrument cluster but still shows TELEPHONE IS NOT INSTALLED on the RNS-E.

What else do I need to code?

I assume I need to change the code in the Navigation unit #77. My original code was 0205117, I did change that to 0205717 but it still didn't display on the RNS-E?

Do I need to activale anything in the CAN gateway?

Do I need to reboot the RNS-E, if so how?

Nav info-

SW: 0600
HW: H99
Map: M1N061018_EN0603

Please HELP :sos::sos::sos:

Last edited:
I thought it would say "Telephone not installed"

Did you reset the RNS-E when you coded it.

Hold RADIO & SETUP until the screen blanks after you change the code to xxxx7xx

Also 0011422 is the correct coding for an A3 BT kit with MFSW and RNS-E

Had exact same issue as you on an install other day, coded perfectly, connected via BT but would not display on the rns, no matter what coding I changed to & reset the rns, now if craigs advise for coding doesnt work, then as below.

Did a forced downgrade of firmware to think was 600 or lower if you have a dvd with it on, then phone data was displayed properly, then did an update to 650 & also displayed properly, all good.

I think the unit we got, had a dodgy sds hack applied & corrupted the unit, thus downgrade cleared this firmware & restored full functions.

Now when doing fw changes it cycles through twice so dont get worried it isnt responding after the 1st software upgrade is finished, let it do its thing, takes few minutes.

Finding clients who supply there own kit are getting units from lithuania with X in the fw area shown in rns menu's which is a possible sign of security code changes, maybe this is also the cause of these problems, who knows.

Guys, thanks for the responce - It was the fact that I didn't do the reset that caused the problem. I didn't know about this but now it is displaying. :thumbsup:

I have noticed that the Display between the cluster keeps showing the first entry in my phonebook even tho i'm not using the phone?

Also, I didn't connect the "Tel Mute" wire to D11 I think as I didn't have a repair wire. Will this be a problem as it all seems to be working as it should apart from the above? I did wire the Mic directly to the RNS-E and the from the RNS-E to the BT Module. This wiring is for the SDS Hack to work I think but not got round to that yet!

Ok, the MODE button on the steering wheel should toggle between the phonebook and radio/CD.

You don't need the mute wire on the audi BT prep.

When you do install the SDS hack change the BT coding to 0011402

Thanks Craig, yes the Mode button has changed that now.

Do you have a copy of the hack with the instructions or know where I can get it?

One last question, how do i change between phones if my phone and my GF's phone are in the car at the same time both with BT turned on?

Changing to 11402 - the "0" is for no voice control, is that correct?

Last edited:
Yes you turn off voice control when you have full SDS as the BT control is now in the RNS-E when in full SDS mode. So you have to disable the BT module SDS.

Have a search for AUdi RNS-E 0660 firmware, plenty of place to download it from.

I have noticed that since wiring the Bluetooth into my car, the dimmer for the interior lights isn't working. I thought last night when driving the car that the lights were all very dim but I thought it was because i didn't have the pannel plugged in for the light switch and dimmer switch. I have plugged them back in but the interior lights are not changing when rolling the dimmer.

The Sat Nav goes from day to night colours when the head lights are turned on and off. I have just plumbed the footwell looms in this morning and they are dim too?

Does this sound like a wiring issue with the bluetooth module?

I hope not as the module is behind the stereo and it was a pig to get in.

Clear any codes thrown with vcds, then test ss somethings dont function properly when there are codes logged, if it still doesnt work then I would disconnect everything & test, reconnect, fault analysis/process of elimination based on you have already coded it correctly.

****** - cleared all fault codes and still dim interior lights.

I did go into the can gateway (#19 i think) and activate the #77 Telephone Module although I didn't see any write up telling me to do this. Could this be the problem? Should I also change the VCDS coding on the #77 and other controller back to orignal to se if that helps?

I would unplug BT module, see if problem goes away, if does then plug BT module back in & if problem returns then check your wiring.

I'd also unplug rns aswell to see if issue goes away.

Edited this twice cause missed your other points, dohhhh

Last edited:
Your not gonna believe this, just been out in the car and the dimmer is now working ????? Does the A3 have a light sensor on the car somewhere that will only activate the dimmer control when it goes dark? The switch has not been working on any of the cockpit lights all day, but not dark it works!

My footwell lights are still very dim, how do i turn thek up?

Thanks Guys

All sorted now :rock:

You can control the brightness in Central Electrics #9 - Adaptation - Group 09 Channel 005

Mine was set at 25% so turned up to 100% and its Happy Days!

You can also control it via the DIS if new enough modules installed.

0205725 IS MY CODING......I NEED CHANGE IT
To fit rnse what do i need to change to?
i have ipod connection in glovebox.....factory bluetooth,mfsw and bose sound
works ok,tel works too......got 3-4 fault codes one being control module incorrectly coded.

0205725 is A3, no BOSE, telephone, AMI and MFSW

0209717 at a guess is what you need and adaptation channel 08 needs to be 255

This is all from memory as I've not coded one for nearly a year.

that is right....i had fault code in can-gateway....i ticked the box which says navigation.......now no fault code

but still faults left ---same fault codes in radio and navigation my phones connected but no numbers/name displayed on rnse(probably do with faults below) any help?

56:radio 00858 connection radio itermediate frequency(if)output to antenna short to ground 007
01044-control module incorrectly coded 000--
03157-functionality limited due to communication distruption 000--

37-Navigation 00858 connection radio itermediate frequency(if)output to antenna short to ground 007

yes bose wire moved to correct location.

Radio working ok

The first fault is normal on an RNS-E Installation, your car has 2x HF connectors for radio and the RNS has HF/ZF so the ZF will always show a fault.

Is your phone ECU coded 0011422

Do you have phone book in the DIS

If you don't have it in the DIS it is usually that you have not enabled the comfort option in the phone ECU to talk to the RNS-E, that is why I suggested you change the phone ECU coding.

phones ok now,all number are there.........only faults i get are

56:radio 00858 connection radio itermediate frequency(if)output to antenna short to ground 007

37-Navigation 00858 connection radio itermediate frequency(if)output to antenna short to ground 007

im stuck now ?

can anyone help,above faults stil present..........when talking on phone,get hissing sound too.