URGENT!! HELP PLEASE!! :(

MoAudi1.8T

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

my mates just bought a 2.0 tdi 2004 with 80k. But yesterday it was driving normally and out of nowhere we heard a snap/bang and whitish smoke starting pouring out what appeared to be from the exhaust!!!!

As we saw this, we stopped the car immediately, but when we went to restart the car it wouldnt start! All engine lights (ignition) comes on as normal but does not start! Tried jump starting but no luck! Have a feeling the battery has had it

Please someone shed some light on what this could be

Thanks

Really? :( . Has he caused any more damage? We stopped the car immediately but iv heard snapped cambelt will bend the valves?

Could have caused more damaged but I would get it checked out ASAP, dont drive it anywhere even if you do get it start somehow!

Unfortunately it does indeed sound like a snapped cambelt! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE ENGINE! In doing so you will almost certainly cause further damage to the engine. You may be very lucky and get away with a few bent valves but knowone will know until it's been opened up and inspected. Good luck!

It'll not start, thats for sure. Its gonna be expensive and it WILL have bent a valve(s) and possibly snapped followers too. Sometimes is just as cheap to source a replacement lump

I had a feeling it might have been. When u say he may be luckynto get away with a few bent valves,im assuming this is repairable?

Thanks for the replies boys

Sounds like a boost hose has popped off to me....

But if the belt had snapped it would have cut out straight away instead of pumping out white smoke..........

Boost hose usually would result in black smoke as the ecu would over fuel as it is loosing air. Given that fact that it won't start it does sound serious, white smoke would usually indicate water involved somewhere.

Needs expert investigation I'd say.

Good luck.

Paul

how could you guys mention anything close to the timing belt.
when the timing belt goes the engine gives no warning no smoke
no judder, it simply goes off with no drama.

It could be anything, guessing without seeing it is poinless. It could be the turbo, I've read of a seized turbo stopping a car from starting. If it was the timing belt the engine would sound like its turning over quickly but not starting. Could be headgasket & now the bores are filled with water, the list goes on...

how could you guys mention anything close to the timing belt.
when the timing belt goes the engine gives no warning no smoke
no judder, it simply goes off with no drama.

Well in my 30+ years in the motor trade, I can quite easily say timing belt. The white smoke would be unburnt diesel!!

that's what append to mine 2 months ago, lucky i got extended warrenty, audi recoverd the car and checked it the following week and come out with the head gasket, glow plugs and turbo, and hopefully should have it back tomrow

Loud bang, pop, whistle etc & then white smoke sounds turbo to me, but given it wont start aswell, urm could be worse, speculative atm from all, drag her **** into garage to have a look.

Sorry i havent been on, been trying to sort out the car!

As some of you had suggested it was the turbo that went! the old turbo was gone completely! car is running fine now thank God! however the car is smoking slightly but dark black smoke, but only when we kickdown we see thick smoke for a second and then clears up and when driving normally no smoke is seen?

mechanic says that it is the excess oil that is burning off because apparently the car had lost a lot of oil and since topping up the old oil is still being burnt off? does this sound right

amar - which extended warranty do you have cos iv been tryna convince my m8 to get one?

Good that you've got it sorted. I went for timing belt because of the 'no start' bit. The oil that you are seeing is most likely oil that is sat in the exhaust and producing clouds as you boot it. I did a turbo on an LDV van a while back and the black smoke was unbelievable. Only way I could resolve it was to bin the exhaust and put a new one on. Have a look at the exhaust tail pipe. Any oil there?

cheers mate :)

yeh looked at the exhaust tailpipe and doesnt seem to be any oil there :S . when driving casually no smoke is seen whatsoever so thats why were a bit confused aswell

If the turbo was putting oil into the exhaust it can take a while for it to totally clear. Glad its sorted now :thumbsup:

Khufu I think that may be the case. What would you suggest be the quickest way to clear it? long run on the motorway ? or kickdown everywhere :w00t:

A lap of the M25 on a day thats its moving will burn off the oil and more importantly it should clear the cat as well if it gets hot enough. :)

It will clear in time anyway but i know i coked up the cat on my VR6 once and a good blast cleared iot out but its sustained heat that does it.