Urgent help needed please. Boot will not open!

dt-tdi

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Urgent help needed please.
Whilst out in my car shopping this afternoon I parked up and activated the boot release on the drivers side door, nothing happened.
I tried the realise button on the boot itself and again nothing happened.
Tried turning the engine off and doing the same procedure and again I couldn't get the boot to release.
At this point I gave up and came home as my daughters pushchair was and still is in the boot, coincidently when I drove off I got two bulb failure warnings on the dash (rear fog light and number plate light)
When I got home I checked fuse 38 (15amp boot release) and it is ok.
Has anyone had the same issue as me please???
Thanks in advance
David

Haven't had the issue but seem to recall there's a key release next to the boot handle. Never tried but worth a look? Mine is a saloon so if you have an avant I can't comment.

Haven't had the issue but seem to recall there's a key release next to the boot handle. Never tried but worth a look? Mine is a saloon so if you have an avant I can't comment.
I've managed to manually open the boot on my saloon using the key.
Looking at some of the threads on here it seems I could have an issue with the actuator or a wiring problem?
Has anyone had the same issue that could advice me on the route to a solution please?

I am guessing here. I think the wiring has broken in the boot. Between the boot and chassis. Pull the rubber grommets out when your boot is open and inspect the wires and repair if you don't know what your doing don't touch it

I am guessing here. I think the wiring has broken in the boot. Between the boot and chassis. Pull the rubber grommets out when your boot is open and inspect the wires and repair if you don't know what your doing don't touch it
You were spot on with your diagnosis Darren.
I had a broken brown wire (Earth) but it wasn't in the boot lid, it was in the section of the loom which is clamped to the moving boot mechanism. Once I separated the rubber sheath I could see a clean break in the wire.
Sorted it by soldering it and heat shrink to protect it.
All working properly again now and saved myself a few quid in the process.