UPS Man just delivered this.....

BigGreg

Reaction score
After an exhaustive week of looking and quizzing, I decided the tuning box idea was the best option for me. I have been used to doing remaps through the OBD (Or whatever) but seems this is only possible on the B8 after the ECU is removed then doctored. So the tuning box seemed the easier option, then when I looked in to it, I was stunned by the figures being produced for the multi channel offerings (controlling fuel and boost). In the end I plumped for TDI tuning's version. I was impressed by the chat I had with TDI who along with there strong customer reviews online gave me confidence in them, that was before learning of my 10% AS.net discount. Must say TDUK gave a very convincing case also, in the end I guess cost ruled £50 is better in my pocket. Hope I don't regret it.

So if all goes well, it will be on the car tonight.
CRTD2® TWIN Channel Diesel Tuning Box - Audi A4 2.0 TDI CR 168 Bhp / 170 PS / 125 Kw - 2008 Onwards

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
I had one of these on my B7 140TDI and when it was plugged in you can feel the torque/bhp difference immediately, esp in 2nd gear.

I took mine off in the end due to excessive smoke out the back when putting the foot down. That may have just been my car ofc i dont know. May be far different on a cleaner engine!

I had one of these on my B7 140TDI and when it was plugged in you can feel the torque/bhp difference immediately, esp in 2nd gear.

I took mine off in the end due to excessive smoke out the back when putting the foot down. That may have just been my car ofc i dont know. May be far different on a cleaner engine!

Hopefully the dpf will help here. But I guessed there might be a smoke issue.

well it may well do as mine didnt have a DPF so that may indeed be the reason? lets hope :)

Did they ever supply you with some dyno feedback to back up their claims?

And not all boxes are the same either...

GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts.

monkeyhanger
I live here
View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: MK7 GT 2.0 TDI 150 Dyno results
« Reply #27 on: 22 February 2014, 16:05 »
OK, here it is, done about 40 miles in it since fitment, this is the dual channel CRDT box (rated 235PS)

Firstly, my car has been running a bit sh!tty in the 50 miles pre-box. Smack in the middle of a spell of DPF regenning, last night I had to give my cousin a jump-start when he flattened his battery in Newcastle City Centre last night and called me up, in prime pub-kicking out time. Spent 20 mins crawling around the 1/2 mile of road surrounding the Central train station, which made things worse and then 10 mins of 2000 rpm idling while he tried to get his sh!tty Citroen people carrier to splutter into life.

After a short spell at the Metrocentre this morning, I headed out to DTUK when Andrew confirmed he could meet me (and save me waiting for the postie on Tuesday). After getting there, Andrew fitted the box off his Skoda onto mine to see how it runs (set at 4+1, Andrews recommended top setting). The industrial estate consists of a 3/4 mile long road, and it was empty, so I did a quick spurt to 80mph and back down to sensible levels. Huge difference. Did same on the way back. Andrew then put the software onto the new box and fitted it to my car. Repeated the blast along the industrial estate, my box seemed a tiny bit better, or maybe I was just more confident in it's use. Came back, then had a chat with Andrew about TDIs we've had in the past etc (for about an hour!!!)

Firstly, I would say that I prefer this box to the TDI-tuning box I trialled - they are 2 very different animals.

The TDI-tuning box is raw and savage, some people might prefer that, but for me a sudden surge of power that causes wheelspin at 60mph in 3rd when you put your foot down is a bit of a widow-maker. At times with that box on setting 7, I felt I could quite easily James Dean the car.

The CRDT-2 has a much smoother and linear development of power - as smooth as the GTD's stock power range, but just more of it. Unlike my experiences with the TDI-tuning box, the idling was as smooth as stock - I experienced lumpy idling with the TDI-tuning box, but Buddy hadn't noticed on his. When we took my dad's TDI-tuning box off his MK5 GT 170 to trade in for his DSG GTD, his idling became smoother.

The car ran at the hot end of the spectrum for the 40 miles (24 miles home and 16 miles going to pick the missus up from work) I drove around on after fitting the box (minimum 95C, but staying at 102C for a good 10 mins, and then being happy to be sat around 97-98C for most of the time). I wasn't sure whether the running hot was down to me booting it a bit, or whether it was a continuation of the DPF regen that had been going on. I do think my stock GTD was running on the cold side, as if this was the main cause of my slightly poor mpg and frequent DPF regen.

A few days will tell if the boxed GTD has a preference for running at 95-97C, as my Scirocco did, if so, I might see my mpg and regen interval improve on that score alone.

The car feels complete now, like it was meant to be. At stock i'm feeling it is no faster than my Scirocco 170TDI.

Got onto the A19 at Killingworth, up a long and steep sliproad from the road below. Me and a Civic Type R got on the 2 lane sliproad at the same time and I annihilated the R. It was trying very hard, but not even close. Those things have no torque so maybe a standard GTD would outdo them up a hill (just).

Got home and 90 mins later I went to pick up the missus from work (overtime). On my rolling start run onto the coast road, for which I have measured previous cars performance against by the speed at which I pass a sign, I managed 88mph (it was quiet and I took it straight back down to 75 :whistle:), compared to 81mph average on my GTD and 83mph average on my Scirocco.

The other thing that seems to have improved my drive is pull away from a standstill. The worst thing about the auto handbrake is that I always pull away ultra cautiously until after the autohold has fully let go - it feels like if you give it some for a quick getaway then you'll stall (it probably won't but it feels that way). My car doesn't feel like that any more, the car feels like it'll easily overcome the bite of the autohold for a better getaway. You've got to have a bit of restraint in 2nd - seems the easiest point of an acceleration move to wheelspin if you're not careful.

Over the moon with the box, and on the assumption that I won't get any more regens than I get already (time will tell), i'll have no regrets at all.

I reset my MFD "since start" mpg reading when I left DTUK. It had been an abysmal 41mpg due to all the regenning which followed the previous night's events. By the time I got home (24 miles later), it was up to 55mpg. I suspect that like the TDI-tuning.co.uk box, the indicated mpg will be somewhere in the region of 15% optimistic at the higher settings, making an actual 47mpg far more likely (about what I would have expected from stock with as much hooning around as I did from a hot start).

I will keep you updated with actual mpg/regen info. In fact I might top the car back up tomorrow just so we can see a "whole tank" mpg that isn't biased by the sh!tty run I had between filling up and fitting the box.

at the end of the day competition is good, but make sure youre comparing apples to apples, and not apples to pears :)

Did they ever supply you with some dyno feedback to back up their claims?

And not all boxes are the same either...

GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts.

at the end of the day competition is good, but make sure youre comparing apples to apples, and not apples to pears :)

Andrew, I really don't think bashing your competition is the way to grow your business. That was a good read and who knows if I lived down the road from you I probably would have popped over for a chat and a try before I buy, but sadly it's a bit of a trek from Edinburgh. So far I am happy and if I am not when I stick it on the car then it goes back and I get my money back. But I tell you what you have done here lacks class, so if it's no good don't expect me to send my refund your way. In my post I credited TDUK, I didn't bash your company. So sad.

Andrew, I really don't think bashing your competition is the way to grow your business. That was a good read and who knows if I lived down the road from you I probably would have popped over for a chat and a try before I buy, but sadly it's a bit of a trek from Edinburgh. So far I am happy and if I am not when I stick it on the car then it goes back and I get my money back. But I tell you what you have done here lacks class, so if it's no good don't expect me to send my refund your way. In my post I credited TDUK, I didn't bash your company. So sad.

Im not bashing them Greg, as I've said competition is great for any business :)

but when you make a comparison to the DTUK box that was £50 dearer (your words, not mine) then id like to point out that not all boxes are the same, and with our kits we do supply rolling road data for the 2.0 TDI 170PS.

Were asked these questions all of the time, and i have said nothing on this thread that ii haven't said to you or anyone else i speak too.

You've chosen another brand of tuning system, and i do hope youre happy with it. But as I've said please compare apples to apples, and not apples to pears..

Im not bashing them Greg, as I've said competition is great for any business :)

but when you make a comparison to the DTUK box that was £50 dearer (your words, not mine) then id like to point out that not all boxes are the same, and with our kits we do supply rolling road data for the 2.0 TDI 170PS.

Were asked these questions all of the time, and i have said nothing on this thread that ii haven't said to you or anyone else i speak too.

You've chosen another brand of tuning system, and i do hope youre happy with it. But as I've said please compare apples to apples, and not apples to pears..

I don't want to start a slanging match Andrew, I made my choice after contacting you, TDI Tuning and three other companies. It came down to a two horse race, if I picked the wrong one for fifty quid then so be it. You believe in your product and the company that make them for you so that's great, but highlighting someone who is unhappy with a purchase from another company to try and prove a point is a little petty. It made no mention of if it was even the multichannel option. What is clear TDI Tuning move huge volume of these "pears" and have astonishingly good feedback, in fact after spending thirty mins looking for dirt on them (Google) I came up empty handed. You believe yours is the very best tuning box on the market and then the rest must be pears, but at the premium price you charge then it must not just be an apple, it must be a PINK LADY apple the very best in my eyes. But maybe you prefer a different apple, a Galo perhaps. Choice is what makes the world go round. Don't get stressed because I never chose DTUK, life is too short!

Not getting stressed about your choice at all Greg, but at least when you and I go into a supermarket we can both see exactly what we're buying :)

My gripe in this industry is the fact that some of the claims being made by several companies are pure BS..

"Made in the uk" and inflated tuned figures that a lot of people don't question...

Anyway I'll continue being and open and honest as I can be with people, and if they decide to believe and not question the BS then that's just life ..

This is the downside to flashy websites and the online market place..

Reactions: BigGreg
I wish you every success Andrew. If I do make it on to the rollers, I will send you the outcome promise.

Hi Greg,

Well done on stepping into the tuning box world :)

Let us know what your first impressions are and how the fuel economy goes as I have seen a big improvement in response from the car and an improvement in mpg .... I am still testing the numbers but should have a fill to fill mpg report by the end of the week.

Reactions: BigGreg
Hi Greg,

Well done on stepping into the tuning box world :)

Let us know what your first impressions are and how the fuel economy goes as I have seen a big improvement in response from the car and an improvement in mpg .... I am still testing the numbers but should have a fill to fill mpg report by the end of the week.

Cheers. Sadly I am away to London 5am tomorrow, hopefully when I get back the mechanic will have done the timing belt then I will stick this on and we will see if it's any good. Just reading the bumf on it now. Pretty excited. ;-)

As part of our continued development program, TDI Tuning regularly undertakes testing sessions at a number of non-affiliated dyno centres in order to constantly improve and measure the outputs produced by our tuning boxes.

We thought you would be interested to see some of this occurring and have recently dyno’ed both a 170PS Audi TT Quattro and a Euro 6 184PS Golf GTD DSG.

The full write up and results can be found on our blog, but we also produced a video on the TT for you to watch which includes the before and after graphs to show how power and torque has increased.

Volkswagen Golf GTD and Audi Diesel Tuning

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that I'm biased because I do use the TDUK box, but I'm not sure that I'd like the feel of that massive spike on the TDI Tuning box at 3500 rpm. I find it funny that the PR bit in the video says that it 'maximises drivability' but I'd say that makes it less drivable in everyday situations...

I actually had one of these on my A3 170 Quattro and it was a great bit of kit but the delivery was pretty sudden and I'm pretty sure with just FWD it could have been a handful. I'm willing to bet that it's awesome for people that push their cars hard on a regular basis though! If you did it from time to time it could possibly catch you off guard I'd imagine.

Mine is very progressive and doesn't really chase the ultimate power figures, more for smooth power and torque.

Just my thoughts, and as I say I'm probably biased. Horses for courses and all that. :)

Reactions: rabhrab, warren_S5 and Liquidfusion-S3
We do have a number of customers that want power delivery similar to a performance petrol vehicle and the max performance setting allows this.

Of course the box has a range of other settings which are less focused on performance and offers flexibility for different users.

Reactions: Daggerit
We do have a number of customers that want power delivery similar to a performance petrol vehicle and the max performance setting allows this.

Of course the box has a range of other settings which are less focused on performance and offers flexibility for different users.

Have to say chaps that I have tried all the maps on mine and have to say that the power delivery is extremely smooth and progressive across the board. I have ran some pretty mad maps in the past on my Rover 220t (how i miss it) and my Impreza and know what a handful a bad map can be at times. This is not like this, smooth no big lumps of torque or anything. Maybe the 19's help, but I know it runs great with it. Still working out what setting is the best for me. Will post my final findings, once I have had a good few miles on each setting.

Reactions: TDI-Tuning