Uprated DMF?

Arkious

Reaction score
Hey chaps, I am hoping someone might be able to provide me with a little information.

My 2.0 TDI 170 has been mapped for a year and has started to get what I believe to be DMF issues. To clarify if I'm right in thinking it is DMF, basically if I accelerate under load I get a second or 2 vibration from the engine. The clutch isn't slipping as it takes off like a rocket fine. Its just when its under a little too much load it vibrates.

Common example of when it would vibrate most often would be if I am cruising in 5th at 30 and went to accelerate without changing down a gear, which I would think should be fine unless I wanted to race?

I've been given a quote of £900 to have an OEM clutch and flywheel fitted locally, and they have given me a price of £300 for labor only. Knowing Darkside offer a Sachs flywheel kit for £375, this would seem like a better choice than OEM. I know they also offer an uprated clutch version for £730/£760, but the clutch doesn't seem to be the problem so don't think I need this option.

So basically my question is... Is the Sachs kit a better option over OEM and is there such thing as an uprated DMF as I cant seem to find anything? I guess an uprated DMF would be on the lines of uprated springs?

Thanks very much for the help!

Think that will solve it? I called darkside and they said its torque judder and that the clutch & flywheel are ok. They also said changing it would have no affect. Since its a tuning box I will turn this down to see if it goes away (don't know why I didn't think of this before :blink:). But the car is lovely to drive other than this so id love to sort it and have the box on the same settings.

Tuning boxes are notorious for torque spikes and most of Darkside maps are , lol.

ohh right, I didn't know that. So basically turn it down and be happy or get it mapped properly lol

5th gear at 30mph is way too low rpm for this engine - it does not lug, or it might but will reduce lifespan of the flywheel as it's dealing with a lot of vibration. Even 4th is borderline at 30mph.

My original 130,000mile clutch and flywheel were LUK on my 2007 PD 170. No clutch issues until it started to slip as the clutch plate was wafer thin/on the rivets when I took it out so no issues with it failing prematurely. Didn't have any flywheel issues but replaced it as precaution due to recommendation while gearbox is off.

I fitted a complete SACHS setup just over 2yrs ago (SACHS DMF, clutch etc), it's been fine but it's started to slip recently in 4/5/6th 2000-3000rpm on boost, at just over 40,000miles. I don't slip the clutch setting off or abuse it, so don't know why it's now slipping.

Read somewhere that the LuK setup can take a little bit more torque. Just bought this complete clutch and DMF for £280.00(!) delivered;

Amazon product

All looks good and genuine.

Thanks for the comprehensive and informative post. I wouldn't usually drive like that I was just trying to find out where the issue would happen. The car calls for 5th at 30 but I tend to leave it in 4th as you can feel the engine is better suited to it.

Anyhow it's interesting about the Sachs, I thought it would have been better! I have turned down the DTUK box a notch (was running program 2 + 3 for those that know of them) and I've switched it to 2-2 for my commute to work, so I will feedback to see if it goes.

Changing down the setting completely removes the issue, I even did a once off trial in 5th for arguments sake and it doesn't judder at all. There is a marked drop in torque, doesn't feel as pokey although it's probably all fake power haha. But it might make my tyres last longer, as it would spin its wheels all to easily in first to third. Still does spin but as twitchy, I guess that's due to the torque spike Gaz spoke of.

Thanks very much for your input guys it was very helpful. I would love to put it back to +3 setting as the torque feels quite nice. So if anyone does know of a better flywheel please let me know. But I'm tempted on a remap instead of the box, just been waiting for Audi to do its thing with regards to the software first :/