Uprated anti-roll bars - Should I?

DJ_26

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted your opinion on this subject. The car is an Audi A3 8P 2.0TDI FWD. I have a set of Vogtland -50mm lowering springs and shocks fitted, which has improved the handling and looks. It also has polybushes in the front wishbones.

I'm currently contemplating getting some uprated anti-roll bars for my car. The steering rack is being replaced on Friday (the steering light came on after the lowering kit and new CV boots were fitted, still don't understand how and why this has affected the rack). So a new rack is needed to rectify this.

I am not going to take the car on the track. I just want the car to be a little more responsive when steering and doing quick changes. It just sees motorways and town roads and the occasional country road once or twice a week (this is definitely where I enjoy driving the car the most). I don't want to compromise comfort, well what there is of it anyway! To be honest, the handling has improved a lot with the Vogtland kit and it rolls a lot less than it used to. Especially on roundabouts, it doesn't seem to understeer actually, it grips and turns a lot better.
So in my instance, is it actually worth fitting the front and rear anti-roll bars? Or shall I just go for the rear anti-roll bar only (and maybe fit the poly anti-roll bar bushes that I've had sitting around for the OEM front roll bar) ?

Realistically I think I'm only going to have the car for another year or two, I don't want to put too much money into it either. I've already dismissed the idea of a hybrid turbo earlier, because of the cost! Obviously, if maintenance needs doing, then I will do it! It is tempting though, because it means I can enjoy the car a lot more.

So far I'm looking at the KW kit (26mm Front: 23mm Rear) and the Whiteline kit (24mm Front: 24mm Rear). Alternatively, I could just get the 24mm rear on its own.

So what do you guys reckon I should do?

1) Go for front and rear anti-roll bars
2) Go for just the rear anti-roll bar
3) Don't get them and just replace the existing anti-roll bar bushes with the polybushes (seen as the subframe is coming off anyway) and feel relieved that I don't have to spend any extra on the car and maybe put the money towards a better car designed for performance!
4) Same as 3), but get a rear anti-roll bar later.

Replace both if you can afford it. In my opinion, they make more of a difference to handling (especially cornering) than the suspension kit. Did you consider the H&R ARB kit?

Rear only if your on a tight budget, but if your getting the rack taken out take the opportunity to change the bar too. I would go H&R all day. Best handling mod you can do for the money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: S.
Stiffer arbs will affect comfort but it does depend on how stiff they are. Best to buy adjustable bars and you can play with the adjustment for a balance between handling and comfort.

H&R arbs are probably on top of the list of the mods i've done. Front soft, rear hard is best for road use. Had it hard front, hard back and even tho i liked it it was too hardcore for roads use and daily driver.

H&R arbs are probably on top of the list of the mods i've done. Front soft, rear hard is best for road use. Had it hard front, hard back and even tho i liked it it was too hardcore for roads use and daily driver.

When you say it was too hardcore, did you mean the car was too uncomfortable and stiff or the car was too responsive/twitchy?
I do want to maintain the comfort. I'm just concerned that if I fit the thicker bars, will the axle be less likely to articulate or move, because the anti-roll bar is stopping that from happening? Like for instance if I was to go over a square speed-hump with just two wheels?

It was stiff. Go kart style. Less forgivable.

It was stiff. Go kart style. Less forgivable.

Ah yes thought so.

I see there are quite a few recommendations for H&R kits. Do the bushes need to be oiled frequently or can you fit and forget?

Stiffer arbs will affect comfort but it does depend on how stiff they are. Best to buy adjustable bars and you can play with the adjustment for a balance between handling and comfort.

I wouldnt say they affect comfort, they just make the car flatter in corners less likely roll, the comfort comes from the springs and dampers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2) 034 Motorsport rear ARB, absolutely no doubt - here on my own 8P RS3:

Upload 2017 10 17 18 54 46

The steering rack is being replaced on Friday (the steering light came on after the lowering kit and new CV boots were fitted, still don't understand how and why this has affected the rack). So a new rack is needed to rectify this.

Did you have the car retracked after fitting the lowering springs? Tracking will be changed as the ride height has been lowered - this might upset the steering angle sensors etc so I'd definately rule this out before replacing the rack.

Not sure how your front ARB compares to an S3 version but for me std S3 front ARB, uprated rear is a good setup for UK driving.

Did you have the car retracked after fitting the lowering springs? Tracking will be changed as the ride height has been lowered - this might upset the steering angle sensors etc so I'd definately rule this out before replacing the rack.

Not sure how your front ARB compares to an S3 version but for me std S3 front ARB, uprated rear is a good setup for UK driving.

Yes i had 4-wheel alignment done and it was spot on, tracked nice and straight. The sensor at fault with the rack is the Torque sensor (G269). Steering angle sensor seems to be fine.

Have you bought anything yet? I’m thinking of doing similar to my s3