Upgrading washer jets to fan type

L-M

Reaction score
i know there are a few threads about this but i cant seem to find a definite answer, i have a 2011 a3 and want to get rid of the jet type front washers for the fan ones, i did this on my last car and found them alot better and used less fluid, so what i want to know is will the be a straight fit on an 11 plate a3 or will i need the shim things iv seen and what ones do i need, anyone have any links/part numbers or can tell me what car they come off, thanks

Hi someone has already posted how change to fan washer jets. The post was done months ago I think they got jets from a VW but dont quote me on that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Won't need shims on a facelift i think it was found. Partnumbers be the same you have already found, the last letter may have changed

I did a post about it ages ago with part number included.
If you use my username in the search bar as well as fan washer jets, you should find it easily.

*searched, also are they easy to remove or is there a way to do it to ensure you don't break anything ? Thanks

5M0 955 986C is what to search for.
Alot of people myself included are using Chinese copies of it. Work fine for around 6 to 8 pound the pair

Was just about to post that part number just found it, they are heated ones, im not sure if mine are heated but i take it it makes no difference anyway, thanks

All UK a3s have heated washers as standard iirc.
Takes 2 seconds to remove your old one to check

Ok will check when im home, do they just pull out ? Or does it need to be done a certain way

They pop out. I just hold them with a thumb and index finger and push up towards the windscreen

Anyone got a picture as i have no clue what you lot are on about ? Lol

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Not got a pic but google that part number above and you will see them

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I did this not too long ago and iirc the jets were about £20+ each from tps so the chinese clones are a good way to go.

Do these also fit on a ‘06 Sportback? The standard ones are like super soakers and wash the screen of the car behind me too haha...

All UK a3s have heated washers as standard iirc.
Takes 2 seconds to remove your old one to check

Why have heated washer jets? Surely they would only un-freeze the jet, not the water in the washer system

Why have heated washer jets? Surely they would only un-freeze the jet, not the water in the washer system

Presumably to stop any residual water from blocking the hole? Screenwash shouldn't freeze anyway, if it's diluted correctly.

Most people like my dad just put water because he can't be fcuked to buy screen wash Loool

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Where do you get shims from if you’re sport back owner

Where do you get shims from if you’re sport back owner

I got mine from my local VW dealer, as they're used on multiple VAG models. They didn't make for a perfect fit for me, however. I really had to jam them in, but they did the job.

I’ve ordered a pair from China

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered myself a pair from Ebay, arrival 29th may to 20th June....so now I wait :p hate waiting

Reactions: Abi
Received mine today, but are not heated! Will these throw up an error?

Has anyone successfully ordered and received the shims to fit these? If so please enlighten me

Just done mine on 2011 Sportback. No shims needed unlike when I did it on my 2007 A4. Easypeasy.

I did mine the other day but one of them didn’t mist the spray, it’s just all came out in a bit of a mess so I’ve asked for a replacement that’s on its way. No shims needed on my 8p 3 door.

Gonna pop VW later, see how much the shims are and if in stock. My 2010 A3 sportback requires them

I'd call first to check stock. I think I had to order them, but I think it was next day, and they're like a quid or two.

Reactions: Abi
I'd call first to check stock. I think I had to order them, but I think it was next day, and they're like a quid or two.

I’m passing by VW on way home anyway, but thanx for the heads up