Upgrading to an A6

Which one did you order? Some guys say the 2.0diesel is underpowered but I was thinking that it has more power than my A6 C5 2.8 quattro had and it felt pretty quick! Whichever model you have gone for, they are a nice place to be. Big upgrade from the B8.

Reactions: Sarge17
Thanks guys and gals. I have to say I'm pretty excited and although not as flash as some it will be the best and most expensive car I've owned.

I went for a 2.0 SE TDI. A decent spec with a few extras (memory seats, heated seats and some pretty nice wheels).

I was keen on the S-Line styling but decided that the wheels made it look quite sporty & the gadgets would do more for me daily. Pleaently surprised how nippy it was, especially in dynamic mode, compared to my A4.

I got them to tint the windows as part of the deal so will look a bit different to the pic below. I must say your comments come to life when I sat in it. A definate air of quality about the model.

As I said really excited about it & am rapidly buying accessories for its arrival. I'm sure I'll be pestering you all for advice on getting the best out of it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 355
Reactions: jojo, Jakes2514, fingermouse and 5 others
Lovely wheels!

:salute:Talking of the wheels, is that something i should declare when insuring? (sorry for the potentially daft question)

:salute:Talking of the wheels, is that something i should declare when insuring? (sorry for the potentially daft question)

Were they an upgrade option from the factory??
If so then you don't need to worry as they are classed as 'factory fitted'

If they were added post delivery then they are a modification and you should inform your insurance to make sure you are covered. Most insurance companies allow you to change wheels at no extra / minimal cost to your premium

:)

Yeah I'm not sure. Hoping there will be some documentation to say either way when I pick it up Wednesday.

Well the big day has come and after a few hours driving around and sat parked playing with all the gadgets I have to say I absolutely love it!

Reactions: Jakes2514, mcwharam, PhilDX and 4 others
Shortest review ever!

Reactions: Jakes2514, jojo, Sarge17 and 1 other person
Being black (& a rainy day) it's filthy already. Will take some soon.

In the meantime does anyone have tips on using iTunes/iOS content through the mmi & any recommendations on an ami cable capable of charging the device & displaying artwork?

Also re: the wheels, is there any way of finding out the spec when it originally rolled off the Audi forecourt?

There's a specific cable from Audi that will do that for you. Ask your dealer. I plug in my iPhone and listen to Apple Music through it and it charges too.
I think it's about £30 but I got mine thrown in so maybe a friendly chat with your salesman might suffice?
Good luck!
Also, there should be an original document detailing the original specs with the sale. Normally with the log book I would have thought...
I've always got that when buying any previous car...
Sorry if that's not much help!?

Ring this number

tel:08005423037

Its an Audi spec checker. Give them the reg and they will tell you the spec over the phone :)

Reactions: fingermouse, Sarge17 and DaveW
Went to Audi today to get the AMI cable. The young lad was a bit unsure about which cable I needed and it turns out the album artwork doesn't appear. He said that only worked on the older models which I'm sure isn't right. The part no was: 4F0 051 510 AC

Also today a little squeak appeared when steering. It almost sounds like the little un' having a whinge. If anyone can shed any light on what it might be before I take it to get sorted please have a watch of video below

So based on that thought then ... with a little Google-ing later once I'm not of work ... the 208/218/245/272 would all be on a the S-Tronic, then the 313/320 would be the BiTurbo Tiptronic.
I think there was something funny with the early C7 245PS TDI's having the Tiptronic.
The FWD 208PS's all had the Multronic CVT (which I'd always advise people to avoid - they're VERY smooth, very cleaver, but they seem to be more trouble and cost than they're worth).
The petrol 2.0TFSI (remapped S3 engine) and 3.0TFSI (remapped S5 engine) both use the dual clutch S-Tronic, but the 2.0TFSI was never a UK option and the 3.0TFSI was stopped in 2012 :(

the take rate on the matrix LED, seems to be next to no cars on the second hand market with them .. wonder the cost of a retrofit, that must be on here someone about people doing it/saying it too expensive.
They're like hen's teeth! Really difficult to find - mine are the "All LED" rather than LED "matrix", but they're still pretty good to use, but only really show their benefit over Xenon's on country roads and dual carriageways where they'll "pilot" around corners and bend the beam shape based on the type of road, speed, oncoming traffic, etc. I think the only benefit of the LED "matrix" over the "All LED" is that the matrix ones can also shape a high-beam around oncoming cars, while mine will extend and even-out the dipped beam on dual carriageways, but when it gets oncoming traffic, it will dropped the main beam right down...
The facelift ones are an eye-watering upgrade (over £4250!): HERE
The "old" style all-LED headlights like mine aren't much less: £3750 HERE
Not sure if those are upgrades from Xenon's (where you'll already have the legally required washers and suspension sensors to get the auto-levelling to work), but I have scary suspicion that the upgrade from Halogen's is even more... all the upgrades are slow and expensive as you'll need extra light sensor arrays (behind the rear view mirror) to enable the dynamic adjustment.

and it turns out the album artwork doesn't appear. He said that only worked on the older models which I'm sure isn't right. The part no was: 4F0 051 510 AC
Just put the music on SD cards / load it onto the HDD and you'll be fine - all the artwork appears on mine that way.

Last edited:
The cable you need may be the one with the red collar, same part number but ending in R not AC. The noise might be the steering wheel slip ring

Just put the music on SD cards / load it onto the HDD and you'll be fine - all the artwork appears on mine that way.

I've got quite a lot of music and don't have the HDD. I will of course have some music on an SD card and CDs in the auto changer but just want access to the music library on the phone. Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure when connecting through BT it displayed album artwork so it should do through the AMI. The lad was obviously not sure what he was talking about.

The cable you need may be the one with the red collar, same part number but ending in R not AC. The noise might be the steering wheel slip ring

Thanks Scott, i will try and pop back to Audi to exchange the lead for that one and it will hopefully do the trick.

As for steering wheel squeak i think you are right. A quick google of "slip ring" led me back to a previous thread on this forum with an identical video. Oddly it only seems to occur when i have warm air coming though the blowers. Not a peep when its cold. Does anyone know if i should get this seen to straight away or is it not that urgent?

Ring this number

tel:08005423037

Its an Audi spec checker. Give them the reg and they will tell you the spec over the phone :)

Thanks for that Rhys. I finally got around to calling them, it's a great service. Wish I knew about it whilst looking for the car. Pretty pleased with the spec tho and the best news is the wheels were on it when it left Audi.

The full spec sheet is:

Phantom Black paint
20" Alloys
4 point lumbar support
Electric front seats
Heated Seats
Black Cloth roof lining
3 spoke sports wheel
DIS
AMI
DAB radio
Lighting pack
Xenon Headlights
LED rear lights
3 zone climate control
Rail system boot system
Storage Pack
Electronic boot opening
Electric/heated wing mirrors

Reactions: jojo and AtotheK
Nice spec!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went back to Audi about the AMI cable. I was shown the other lead that Scott mentioned (with red collar) but it was the old style 30pin iPhone connecter so not any good for my iPhone 6s. I was told that it wouldn't work even with an adaptor for the lightening connector. Aparently these leads just don't display artwork which seems odd.

More concerning was whilst out & about today I kept losing connection from the AMI. Not sure if it happens when phone slides around the inside of the armrest or a loose connection at the car end or at the phone. I must admit the lightening connector end isn't very snug with the phone (see pic below). I'm wondering if I can bodge a bit of padding around the unit so it sits flush against the phone.

All things considered I'm not over joyed st this cable costing me £40!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 252
I have the same connector as you but seldom use it as it is so poor. Had to alter my phone case to get it to fit and it drops out easily. I stream over Bluetooth which works well.

I have the same connector as you but seldom use it as it is so poor. Had to alter my phone case to get it to fit and it drops out easily. I stream over Bluetooth which works well.

Well as i mentioned i put a bit of padding around the lightening connector and even put a non slip pad in the armrest to see if that stopped the loss of connection. It was still hit and miss. But after a bit of digging around on various forums i've read that the loss of connection occurs if the iPhone is below a certain battery percentage (between 70% and 80% apparently). I tested it today on a 15 minute journey with an almost full battery and no disconnections. Will continue to try it out in the next few days and will let everyone know my findings.

Finally got around to some pics...
IMG 1329
IMG 1356
IMG 1357
IMG 1358
IMG 1359

Reactions: Rhyso and jojo
Sick wheels!

Sick wheels!

I love them. Don't see many of them on the road. Hated the wheels on my A4 so doubly pleased. I'm just uber careful parking now. I'm usually about a foot away from the kerb! :tearsofjoy:

Get your phone into an Apple Store and get them to clean your port.
I've found that loose connections are usually down to trapped dust etc. in there...
Normally after a good broggle out they stick like a limpet!

Reactions: Sandra
Well, six weeks in and I'm still loving it. I've not yet had a proper run in it yet which has resulted in poor mpg, but we're off camping in it soon and i'm sure in the school holidays we will get around a bit more.

Annoyingly it seems all the kit i had for my previous A4 Avant 2009 roof box is fine except the fitting kit. Gonna pop to Halfords to make sure i do need to replace them.

As someone mentioned, i actually rarely use the AMI cable that i was so frustrated by. Instead i put most of the music i listen to regularly on a 32gb SD card. Transferring the album covers is easier than i thought so I'm pretty happy with that outcome.

One thing that is a pain, albeit not the fault of the car, is the boot liner. I regularly have my big lump of a labrador in the boot which results in a ridiculous amount of hair being left behind. The side of my A4's luggage compartment was covered in hair as the plastic floor liner didn't cover it and no matter how hard i vacuumed it i could never remove all the hair. So this time i spent a bit extra on a complete fitted solution from custom covers, and while it does the job neither the velcro fixings that came with it, nor the two lots of heavy duty velcro kits i have bought since stick very well to the side of the boot "wall". (since this photo was taken i have gone to town with the velcro tape, with no more success).

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to secure it or how any fellow dog owners out there get around this problem. I am seriously considering shaving the dog! :tonguewink:
IMG 1613

I have just upgraded from an A4 to the A6 Avant, got it 3 days ago and love it too.. Its a cracking upgrade isn't it :)
Currently browsing for a boot liner right now, which one do you currently have (where from) as i may avoid it
Ive got a golden and its going to be hell with hairs

Have you managed to upgrade your MMI software? Its something i need to check too
I have been told that you can get none genuine Sat Nav updates cheap

(Not upgraded my pic on the site yet)

Last edited:
I have just upgraded from an A4 to the A6 Avant, got it 3 days ago and love it too.. Its a cracking upgrade isn't it :)
Currently browsing for a boot liner right now, which one do you currently have (where from) as i may avoid it
Ive got a golden and its going to be hell with hairs

Have you managed to upgrade your MMI software? Its something i need to check too
I have been told that you can get none genuine Sat Nav updates cheap

(Not upgraded my pic on the site yet)

Glad you are enjoying the new car. Make sure you post some pictures when you get chance. I got my cover through http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ukcustomcovers?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754 . It's a decent cover thats easy to sweep out dog hairs it's just that the Velcro keeps coming away from the side of the boot. I'd be interested to hear what you end up with.

I haven't updated the MMI or maps as yet ( I have a 2013 version of maps from previous owner) and I listed my current software version earlier on the thread in the hope someone could let me know how far behind I am on the updates. Check out Rhysio Family Wagon thread, he recently upgraded his software from someone on eBay and it seemed to work.

Can anyone tell me how the Ttre Pressure Monitors work? I set it up and saved the correct pressures but I've not been alerted to any changes despite some tyres losing a few units of psi. Does having different valuve caps make a difference?

Can anyone tell me how the Ttre Pressure Monitors work? I set it up and saved the correct pressures but I've not been alerted to any changes despite some tyres losing a few units of psi. Does having different valuve caps make a difference?
It uses the ABS/sensors, so basically, measure the speed the wheel rotates at, and a drop in pressure would reduce the wheels rolling radius, and triggers an alert. My car has alerted me twice in the last 6 months, both at motorway speeds. Once when I tweaked the tyre pressures to see how it effects the handling, and the second time was 5 miles after I had new front tyres fitted.

It's a simple system to be honest, and one that requires a pressure drop of maybe 3psi or more to trigger.

Mine has literally pinged on the way to the office this morning. Will have a stop off en route home tonight and let you know what the gauge says.

Thank you both for your answers. The reason i asked is that i recently went camping so as the car was carrying a bit more weight than usual i pumped the tyres up a bit more (they were already slightly under the correct pressure) and afterwards i wondered if i should have been alerted to the change. In what form does the warning show up?

We have a slow puncher on the rear left or its not sealed to the alloy. I pump it up to 40 and it alarms at 36. New tyres soon so that should solve that issue for us :)

Yeah - checked last night, all but one of the tyres were set for 35 (which seemed a bit low going by the sticker on the drivers door). One was 32 (left rear oddly - finger mouse) so pumped the lot up to 40 as was in a hurry. Will see if it alarms again over the next day or so, as probably will need a repair.

FYI I'm on 255/35Y20