Upgrading Stereo System to Bose?

A_C4mby

Reaction score
When I was looking at A3's before I bought mine, I tried one with the Bose stereo fitted, and it seemed at the time to be a much nicer sound.

What's involved in upgrading the standard stereo to the bose stereo? Does the head unit have to be changed or is it just the speakers and amp that have to be changed?

Thanks

Speakers, sub, amp, mic, and some extra wiring are required.

You just recode the headunit with VAG-COM.

Don't bother fit a decent after market set up.

If you want to keep it stealthy then use the existing Audi Head unit with an Alpine Imprint processor.

Paul

I had an A3 at a courtesy car last week and it had BOSE, To be honest I thought it was rubbish. I prefer the standard set up. its hard to explain but i didnt like the bass, it was all over the place!

standard set up to bose :wtf: ive had two a3s an 07 plate with standard setup and i got an 06 sline with bose and bose is wey better than standard ...the standards paper cones were poppin cant handle base no way near the bose lol bose sounds alot better..... but if i were gona fit a system to the car it would be alpine with amp but bose was already fitted and is 100% better than standard.....

I had an A3 at a courtesy car last week and it had BOSE, To be honest I thought it was rubbish. I prefer the standard set up. its hard to explain but i didnt like the bass, it was all over the place!

Talk to the man over on ICE, AndyMac is the person on here, no disrespect to anyone else but he's the man that can full stop.

If you want to keep it stealthy then use the existing Audi Head unit with an Alpine Imprint processor.

Paul,
Could you give me a bit mor info on an Alpine Imprint processor? I take it the Audi Head unit outputs to this, and the alpine sends the signals to the speakers etc?

Cheers

Lad - I would definately updrage your system to aftermarket stuff instead of Bose

check my system out from Audi Concert:

IMG_3567.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

AJ4.jpg

Where do you put your shopping :ermm:

Should see mine - i got 3.5 cb ft box in my boot lol

Defo aftermarket - wouldnt upgrade to BOSE.

Get some Focal/DLS/Inifnity speakers (its hards to say which ones are the best as eveyrone had diff tastes) with a decent amp to power them and something decent in the rear (I got some Sonys - clear and run them off the Alpine HU).

Then, You can sqeeze a 8inch Sub where the standars sub is so if you get something of around 300-400w rms and a decent amp to power it - you should be good.

Then, if you get a piece of MDF that goes in the boot, you can mount the amps underneath it so you still get boot space :D

My car came with BOSE, i didn't spec it myself and i think it's noticeably better than most standard systems. Most people who travel in my car comment how good it sounds. I guess it depends what settings you dial in. If the bass is all over the place then .... ease back on the bass?!
If the car didn't have BOSE i wouldn't upgrade to BOSE. Bit pointless really because despite it being better than standard it's not a patch on a good aftermarket set up.
I'd leave the head unit alone and upgrade the driver speakers. You'll need adaptor rings but it's no big deal (eBay).
Installing a sub is a much bigger job. Other members with more knowledge will tell you but i'm informed it means removing panels and seats out the back.

aftermarket kits are really good but so are bose. bang and olufsen are really good, they have say on the interior design because when they are fitting the speakers, they can re arrange the interior to give best sound distribution and less echo, so if you have have the option to go for B and O then do it, you will not get better, some people will say you will with sony and alpine but you will not get the full use out of the speakers! as said below alpine can do a lot of work within the car so if you were to get any after market products, alpine is the way to go!

My system ****** all over bose or bang-olufsen to be honest - mine has much more clarity and precission

But in saying that, if I got another Audi with either system I probably wouldnt change it - its just the scene I am into at the minute, I love my music and it has to be crystal hence why I went with focal and diamond!

My shopping goes on the back back seat!

Thanks for the comments!

My system ****** all over bose or bang-olufsen to be honest - mine has much more clarity and precission
does look damn good :) whats the spec if you don't mind me asking?