Upgrading MMI from basic with SD Nav

GRE57Y

Reaction score
Hi, I've searched through and read various bits about doing this, that and the other but nothing concrete with instructions that I could find.

Can someone help with my questions below:

1. Can I watch video from any app on my iPhone (6plus) on my basic MMI screen? If so, what do I need to do?

2. Is there any way of upgrading to a software that works with IOS - similar to that of car-play?

3. Cost of activating Video in Motion?

4. Adding a TV tuner?

Thanks,

Can't help with your questions buddy, but the general consensus of opinion from previous threads seems to be that it's a bad idea to be playing video on the screen whilst driving. Not really the safest practice.

Thanks for your answers- VIM aside... Can you upgrade the MMI screen without changing anything else?

1. Can I watch video from any app on my iPhone (6plus) on my basic MMI screen? If so, what do I need to do?

The screen / MMI will not mirror the iPhone and you can only select videos which have been added to iTunes, and which are in the correct format. Video is not possible with a lighting connector based device, 30pin devices only using the red cable. 30pin to Lightning adaptors + red cables do not work for video.

Screen mirroring is possible if you install 3rd party solutions for example a Miracast box, HDMI converter and RCA MMI/AMI Cable + needed power supplies. Approx cost would be £300 if done yourself.

2. Is there any way of upgrading to a software that works with IOS - similar to that of car-play?

Not at this time.

3. Cost of activating Video in Motion?

£300 if you buy VCP Software to do it, £80 approx if you buy a coding dongle or there is a guy on eBay asking £80 a pop! lol

If you are in or around London I can activate VIM for you.

4. Adding a TV tuner?

Yes, 3rd party solutions only tho and a bit costly.

Reactions: Schizophonic
Thanks for your answers- VIM aside... Can you upgrade the MMI screen without changing anything else?
A Standard MMI unit is not compatible with a TeckPack Screen due to using different cables and indeed video cards and drivers. The MMI units are basically Nvidia PC's.

There is a way of using a 3rd party screen but it's messy and requires a video conversion box to sit in between the MMI video out and the screen you fit. There are a couple of examples of this on youtube but they are not very elegant.

Ok, in that case- whats the cheapest way of watching TV in my car at lunchtimes using the MMI screen?

If you have a "TV" type app on your phone then I guess the cheapest would be an Audi to RCA MMI/AMI Cable (£15 to £30) > HDMI convertor (£40 to £100 inc power cables) > Apple iPhone HDMI adaptor (£40?). VIM would not be needed for when parked.

If you don't what to use a phone app then you would need a TV tuner and cables to fit + power, maybe £400+ approx