1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading gear box

aarroncolley May 29, 2018

1. aarroncolley

aarroncolley Active Member

I’m wanting to upgrade my 5 speed box to a 6 speed. Obviously it’ll be from a b7 2.0tdi but what code would I need so it fits my engine or does it matter ? And do I get a new 1.9tdi clutch and fly wheel or 2.0tdi one ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

4. aarroncolley

5. DieselJake

Quattro? If not this is the perfect excuse to do that too :icon thumright:

6. aarroncolley

Non Quattro. I’m just looking for the 6th gear tbh mate nothing to drastic

7. DieselJake

Ah right cool, haven't looked into whether yours is transverse or longditutional but I know theirs some b6 1.9tdi's kicking about with 6 speed none quattro which is surely identical, if your going for big power I'd go the whole hog and nick the quattro out of an a4 as well when doing this as it'll be spinning loads otherwise (mine is) but each to their own, I'd look into which gearbox is strongest too as I know people go mad for 02M's and stuff but I don't think they'll fit ours, really just depends what you want it for I guess but I'm presuming this is in preparation for more power.

8. aarroncolley

Your you could be right tbf. It is for more power but also so it’s not revving so high at 70/80mph really keep the engine under less stress but bringing the revs down

9. Bluepower

Bluepower Member

You'll need the gearbox(duh..) starter motor, flywheel and clutch and shifter assembly.
    I;ve looked into this swap a couple of years ago, but then checked the RPM vs gear, and only saw a small decrease in RPM in 6th compared to the RPM in 5th on the OEM box. That and the extra cost in purchase of all the parts and labour made me decide not to go on with the swap.
    I would only do this swap if running 240+Hp and running out of clutch options..

DieselJake likes this.
  10. DieselJake

Torque kills 'em, mine has 360ft/lb which the majority of gearboxes/clutches can't handle reliably, best to see what torque each clutch can hold before purchasing for modified diesels.

Gazwould likes this.