1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Upgrading from non xenons to xenons

Lambman420 Feb 5, 2019

1. Lambman420

Lambman420 Registered User

Looking to upgrade my headlights I don’t have daytime runners or anything just standard h7 bulbs.
    Was wondering if there’s an Audi conversion kit, or if any was has done a conversion either aftermarket or factory Audi?

Thanks in advance,

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. sliced

sliced Drive safe, stay alive.

in essence aftermarket would be strongly advised against due to
    1-after market kits blow your wiper motor
    2- they will now likely fail the MOT
    retrofitting headlights would be your best bet, and that way you can have headlamp washers etc

4. Lambman420

I have had lots of problems with aftermarket ones before. Which is why I ask weather a factory fitted
    Conversion can be done? Is it as simple as plug & play?

5. Daveyonthemove

Daveyonthemove Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Xenons need a new headlight unit, washers fitted to the bumper, and sensors fitted to the axle I believe.
    it isn't a case of just changing bulbs and fitting ballasts, they have to have sensors to align correctly as there is manual way to adjust them when weight is added to the rear of the car, and the headlight washers are also needed. Without either of those, you will fail an MOT.

6. Lambman420

Yeah that sounds like a right pain, can you recommend a set of bulbs? Mine are not great

7. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

You can easily fit factory single xenons although a minor wiring modification is needed to the headlight adjustment motor , the one you adjust to compensate for heavy loads in the boot etc.
    Fitting bi-xenons will involve wiring adapters .
    To go the whole hog to convert to factory -spec you also need to fit headlamp washers and self-levelling capability of the headlamps , but it will pass an MOT test without .

Lambman420 likes this.
  8. abmat

abmat Active Member VCDS Map User

Will it? I thought they were clamping down on this now in the new mot?

Daveyonthemove likes this.
  9. Lambman420

Mot I’m not too worried about, I have a guy, how difficult is the wiring adjustment to the headlight motor

10. Daveyonthemove

Good to know you have a guy.
    Will he take your place on the stand when you dazzle an oncoming car and they end up in accident resulting in a court case due to incorrect lights being fitted?
    Probably not.
    Do it correctly, or don't do it. Too many poorly aligned or illegal headlights making night driving difficult for other road users.

11. samisnake

samisnake Registered User

lol davey always with the doom and gloom scenarios!

used to have xenon kits installed in a few projector headlights, but they always end up blowing, although they do look good. get them aligned, and never failed an mot with them (and that was legit tests, not dodgy ones).

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Daveyonthemove

It's not doom and gloom. The washer kits and sensors are fitted for a reason, which is why they ARE a legal requirement at the MOT.
    Yes it might be a worst case scenario, but my point stands. Do it properly or don't do it. Don't risk other peoples safety just because sourcing the correct parts is too much effort.

14. xkieron99x

xkieron99x Registered User

Not to hijack the thread but is there any quality projector headlight conversion kits available, I see a load on eBay but hesitant on quality. Also @Lambman420 have you tired the osram night breaker bulbs I’ve seen the difference on mates cars they do provide better brightness and throw compared to standard h7 bulbs.

15. downtothebone

downtothebone Registered User

If you want better halogen bulbs just search out the latest auto express bulb test and choose whatever’s top rated. Recent designs glow brighter but often only last a few months. There is only so much you can do with a halogen bulb.

16. aqibi2000

aqibi2000 Registered User

Try Mtech 4350k 55W

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  17. Umaar

Umaar Registered User

Trups can build you a set using your existing headlight lamps and fitting projectors to them using the genuine balasts to avoid burning out your headlight motors. He is well known on the forum. https://emtuning.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. abmat

Just because you got away with it doesn’t make it right.

19. 1wheelonly

1wheelonly cabriolet VCDS Map User

Retro fitted bi xenons do NOT require washers and levellers by law for an mot !
    Your guessing or quoting what you THINK is right, this is not fact.

Mot rules are if it’s not fitted it can’t fail, same rules as a passenger mirror, a spare tyre, a rear wiper, if it’s fitted and faulty then it fails, if it’s removed then it can’t fail
    I know of at least 20 people had the conversion and not one ever had an
    Issue

On another note, I’ve just recently purchased a mk4 caddy van and one of those fitted with bo xenons no longer comes with levellers from the factory !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. abmat

21. Daveyonthemove

I think you'll find that it does. But don't let the facts get in the way of your guess work:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aftermarket-hid-headlamps/aftermarket-hid-headlamps

abmat, aqibi2000 and downtothebone like this.
  22. samisnake

samisnake Registered User

Never said it was right or wrong, just saying that i had them on several cars and never had an issue.

23. abmat

Seen. Poor choice of words. Should have been:

Just because it passed doesn't make it legal. I'll admit I've been no angel in the past

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  24. ScottyP45

ScottyP45 Well-Known Member

Anyone tried Night Eyes LED? (could be ****, could be great) Click-Here