Upgrading B7 2.0T Quattro Brakes to B7 S4

dan_the_v8man

Reaction score
I've been doing a bit of mooching round the net and it would appear the B7 S4 uses the same 345mm setup as the Mk5 R32. My car also appears to have the same calipers but on a 320mm setup.

If I bought a pair of B7 S4 Caliper Carriers and discs would they fit my straight onto my B7 2.0T Quattro?

Been to see the parts counter at my local audi dealer, they can't be sure but I did come away with part numbers and prices

S4 Caliper Carriers - 1K0615425B - £57.40 each

S4 345mm x 30mm Discs - 8E0615301T

Now to me the S4 caliper part number looks distinctively like a VW Part number

Thanks

I'm pretty sure they would, maybe get new pads to go with the new disks too.

Don't know anything about the vw part number thing though!

well i've got some Fereodo DS2500's on order anyway, had them on my vRS and Passat. Other than them being a bit noisy I really cant fault them

Guys, anyone confirm the above part number for the s4 carriers is correct or not? Been googling but the part numbers are varying and I'm struggling to pin point which is right.

Yes, it is that simple, new carriers and S4 Discs.

The carriers are the same as the VW ones, you just need the S4 specific discs as the offset is different to the VW 345mm ones.

I did essentially the same thing, S4 discs, but used TTRS Calipers and 345mm adapter brackets.

Ooh I know it's a straight swap pal.

It's finding the part numbers that's the issue, keep getting contradicting info.

any special reason for upgrading your brakes this way, the last time I looked at it there was very little if any price difference between going with the s4 mod and going with 6 pot brembo's , either way you'll need new disc rotor, pads , s4 carriers and the brembo are way better to start with.....s4 carriers can workout stupid money for what they are even used ones...there are a fair few sources and sellers now doing great deals on 18z's etc and a better setup by far...just my input.

Reactions: Dani_B19
dani there are several part numbers for the carriers , they are the same part but in different finish's
the plain bog standard carrier is
1K0615125B x2
then whatever B7 s4 discs you want from euro bods as they are silly cheap for S4 discs.

Upload 2017 6 27 19 24 59

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5 and Dani_B19
Cheers rob.

Just thought it would be a cheaper route and a noticeable upgrade with you gaining 24mm.

Clearly not.

well I suppose it is a cheaper route dani but not that much cheaper and considering the 18z setup is so much better and nicer it kinda make sense to be the upgrade to go with, agreed you get 345 discs with the s4 route which are better than the 32omm but the calipers will be the same , the brembo's use 345mm discs but the 6 pot calipers are so much better, just my input dani.

If 345 carriers are £50 each that will work like £110 for carriers and £150 for discs and pads ...
for £250 you can't touch 18z + still need discs and pads which are £150+!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I upgraded to 320mm front and 288mm rear I was considering buying the carriers and discs to have S4 fronts but the things that put me off were firstly having to pay over £100 for carriers (at the time I was looking £150+ but please link where you found them for £114.80 as it might make me interested again haha), secondly the S4 uses 300mm rear so I'd rather have the same balance the factory used and thirdly (but probably most importantly for me) the way in which you can generally get deals for front and rear discs and pads but I couldn't do this if mine were miss matched between S4 front and 2.0T rear brakes. I got these and they've served me well so far http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-2-0T-FSi-01-05-12-07-Front-Rear-Brake-Discs-Pad-/110761094699?fits=Car+Make:Audi|Model:A4&hash=item19c9e02e2b:g:1~IAAOSw44BYSsSR also from what I recall (without deals and all that jazz) S4 front discs generally cost a load more money than 2.0t.

Not trying to put anyone off just sharing my own experience and thought process.

Last edited:
when i first looked at S4 fronts upgrade on my special edition it worked out a lot more than £250 to be honest and gave it a miss, then looked at the situation a second time and still not much change price wise then noticed that brembo upgrades were not much more money for a far better setup.
opted to go brembo route all in cost me a few quid over £500 and very happy with it.
So pound for pound the brembo route either 17z or 18z is in my opinion the way to go, far better braking aswell, really nice and progressive during normal driving but epic when you need some instant stopping...and look the part aswell behind 18 and 19" alloys, I suppose all down to personal choice.
i'm in the process of doing the s4 rear change to even things up.

right then, carrier p/n is deffo 1K0615125B and will cost you lucky people £177.00 inc vat per side so that's £354.00 straight away plus discs from euro bods on discount code so around another £100 for a pair then pads, in which case that lot is going to end up around the £500 mark....which is what I was quoted last year ...so brembos are not that costly in comparison, and a better kit.

right then, carrier p/n is deffo 1K0615125B and will cost you lucky people £177.00 inc vat per side so that's £354.00 straight away plus discs from euro bods on discount code so around another £100 for a pair then pads, in which case that lot is going to end up around the £500 mark....which is what I was quoted last year ...so brembos are not that costly in comparison, and a better kit.

Yeah but where are you getting these carrier prices from and (more importantly for all us considering the upgrade) where is the OP getting his prices from.

Can't say £177.00 per side as if we only have one supplier with one cost.

you can get them cheaper in the states at £55 per side , but add the shipping , vat and duty and they will be even more.

Yeah but where are you getting these carrier prices from and (more importantly for all us considering the upgrade) where is the OP getting his prices from.

Can't say £177.00 per side as if we only have one supplier with one cost.

£177 is the current audi parts price per carrier , caliper body is £226.00 per side ,TPS don't stock it neither do ECP, they are available in from outlet in Europe but prices work out the same and the same in the states, carriers are cheap but shipping vat and duty ramp up the cost ...so unless one can get them from TPS with 10% off trade price , which is not a big amount to be honest your stuck with going to your audi parts dept or finding a used set etc.
and when I last looked at a set of used ones the guy wanted nearly as much as new ones....I think sellers know what they are worth now to guys wanting to do a cheap upgrade.

Right so from 320mm only carriers, discs and pads - right ?

correct dimi, the caliper body assembly is the same , so you will need a pair of 1K0615125B which is the non painted ones , a pair of 345 S4 discs , from where ever is your source , and pads .....

euro bods are doing this deal on 345 brembo's for a pair , with discount....good time to buy a pair.

S4br

dimi , why does it look like you have rear brakes fitted to your front wheel? , have I missed something ....

Rob what discs you using again?

One thing that puts me off is your limited to the merc discs if going the brembo route and then have to get them redrilled. I would like a set of drilled front and rear and doubt I'd get a set to match!

there are a few options dani , you don't have to use the ML AMG55 discs.
S5 & S4 B8 will fit , they are the right mounting hole size and fixing screw hole is correct, not exactly the same but pretywell close enough in the right places.
notice the B8 S4 are almost 3lbs lighter per disc.....compared to the amg's , the S5 & S4 B8's are approx. 2mm taller than the AMG's but are in fact 30 mm thick compared to 32mm amg's so it all prettywell even itself out ...
Amgml

Last edited:
forgot to add dani, I currently have the MTEC ML AMG55 discs but probably going to be changing to just drilled disc shortly .

So the b8 discs seem like a winner to me then surely? Is that what your going for next rob?

Would the b8 be a straight fit or would machining be required?

from my in understanding they are a straight fit dani, I think they are the way I am going and if you get them at the right time from ECP they workout a really good price for a pair, I think they will be a lot quieter than the mtech ones I have fitted at the moment.

I'll wait to see what happens with you first pal haha

non probs dani, I don't mind doing the R&D if it helps others out mate, I'm allways up for a challenge.

Reactions: Baka and Dani_B19
Guys I called TPS for the carriers yesterday and they want £110 ish each and that's with trade discount!

I need these cheaper any ideas ??

Good man rob although the brakes are on the back burner now I need a clutch by the looks of it.

So £110 for carrier only is too much because on ebay normal price for S4 set up is £250
If i found them somewhere £50ish i will take them

Can we create one adaptor to the carrier of 320mm to 345mm disc brakes?

Attachments

• imgx_103__25386.1304440724.jpg
    imgx_103__25386.1304440724.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 237
any special reason for upgrading your brakes this way, the last time I looked at it there was very little if any price difference between going with the s4 mod and going with 6 pot brembo's , either way you'll need new disc rotor, pads , s4 carriers and the brembo are way better to start with.....s4 carriers can workout stupid money for what they are even used ones...there are a fair few sources and sellers now doing great deals on 18z's etc and a better setup by far...just my input.

Having done the 18z upgrade yourself, how much better is it? I was considering doing the 340mm upgrade when the current discs die but had considered the 18z mod too, also the s4 calipers are disgustingly filthy and make a right old mess of my wheels.

A set of refurbished 18z's are around going for around £300-500 on fleabay + the cost of your new discs and ive seen the brembo pads to go with them for £250 for the fronts so make a for a hefty bill especially if you have a stock or lightly modified car.

Quick disclaimer, not a rant!! Lol

They are one of the best upgrades I have made to the old bus from a value and performance point of view, all in the upgrade cost me £500 ish a few years back, so very possible to do it for similar money today.
By the time you have sorted the s4 carriers out , got new discs and pads etc the final bill wont be much less and they wont be a patch on the 18z's.
Braking performance is excellent , nice and progressive when around town etc but epic when you need that extra bit stopping power, miles ahead of the standard setup.
I'm still on the original pads I fitted and brake dust has been reduced to just a light covering even after a lot of miles driving.

Just my 1st hand experience Alex, would I do the mod again, a big yes.