Upgrading Audi Symphony II - Advice

Wrath

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help. I've recently purchased a gorgeous Audi A4 S-Line, 2005 reg with a Symphony stereo (indash CD changer). I'm wanting to upgrade so that I can either use USB devices or memory cards.

However, I was looking at upgrading to the Symphony II+ but that's hard to come by and sounds like a fiddle to install. I then thought about upgrading to the Sat Nav system with memory card slots, but does this need changes to wiring connections and someone with VAG-COM?

Alternatively I was looking at the Dension 300 but it states that it basically takes the place of the CD changer. Obviously my changer is built in rather than separate so I assume it doesn't affect it, but does anyone have a Dension unit installed? I can't see how the stereo would use it as there are no buttons on it for AUX or anything like it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Hi!

I got the XcarLink which lets me use the changer, the indash cd, & Ipod! I have the concert II btw but I am sure it will be the same for the Symphony

The Dension 300 replaces the EXTERNAL CD changer, not the internal one. Also you can get the Dension 300 with a CD retention kit so you could have 12CDs and an iPod.

Don't write off fitting the RNS-E sat nav - with the correct adapter leads it is literally a less than an hours job with the radio removal tools and VAG-COM - don't worry if you don't have VAG-COM, in return for "beer tokens" several people on here will do the biz for you!

The Dension 300 replaces the EXTERNAL CD changer, not the internal one. Also you can get the Dension 300 with a CD retention kit so you could have 12CDs and an iPod.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. What button do you press on the unit to access the Dension usb/memory card etc as on my Symphony there are no buttons indicating use for a potential external changer?

Don't write off fitting the RNS-E sat nav - with the correct adapter leads it is literally a less than an hours job with the radio removal tools and VAG-COM - don't worry if you don't have VAG-COM, in return for "beer tokens" several people on here will do the biz for you!

Maybe I've confused myself with the number of various web-pages. Took me a while to figure out I actually have a B7 rather than a B6 (05 plate). Apart from my complete indecision whether to go for a Symphony II+, Sat Nav or Dension, I am a bit concerned over the wiring.

I was pushed towards the Symphony II+ (if I can get one) but this article put me off a little bit although it is for a B6:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=17746049

I don't particularly want to run into problems with receiving radio but am not sure whether my B7 has the same connections that a Symphony II+ has which would make it ultra simple. Suppose I'll have to buy some keys and look at the back of the unit to find out.

The whole Sat Nav thing gives me another headache, the main positive is being able to put mp3s on memory cards and the sat nav is secondary to that but which Sat Nav, do they all have the same connections? Will I run into the aerial issue as mentioned in the above article? I understand that there are problems with getting the directions up on the DIS but I'm not too fussed about that at the moment.

Or do I go with the Dension? Does this unit copy an external CD changer so that memory cards/usb has to have folders named CD1-CD6 and hold no more than 99 files each? Does the head unit navigate through these with ease?

And is there anyone with vag-com on these forums, near Darlington/Stockton?

All these questions and more.....:sm4:

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. What button do you press on the unit to access the Dension usb/memory card etc as on my Symphony there are no buttons indicating use for a potential external changer?
Just press the CD button, when there's an external changer or Dension fitted it cycles round all 12 CDs (or virtual CDs).

I was pushed towards the Symphony II+ (if I can get one) but this article put me off a little bit although it is for a B6:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=17746049

I don't particularly want to run into problems with receiving radio but am not sure whether my B7 has the same connections that a Symphony II+ has which would make it ultra simple.
The Symphony II has the same antenna system as the RNS-E, but the Symphony II+ has the different one - so a Symphony II to II+ upgrade WILL give you reception problems, but to an RNS-E will NOT.

do they all have the same connections?
What do you mean by "all"?

Will I run into the aerial issue as mentioned in the above article?
If you currently have a SYmphony II, then no.

I understand that there are problems with getting the directions up on the DIS but I'm not too fussed about that at the moment.
If you have the red DIS then after setting an actiove route you need to turn the RNS-E off and back on. If you have the colour DIS then it works perfectly.

Or do I go with the Dension? Does this unit copy an external CD changer so that memory cards/usb has to have folders named CD1-CD6 and hold no more than 99 files each? Does the head unit navigate through these with ease?
The restriction is that ALL these external connections are via the CD changer connection - so EVERY adapter (audi or otherwise) restricts you to 6 virtual CDs with track numbers rolling round after 99.