Upgrading 2009 S/B Chorus radio

HarryH

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently sold my 07 A4 Avant and got a 2009 A3 Sportback which I'm loving!

The only thing is that I was used to the Bose system in the A4 and now have a cheapo Chorus in the A3 with only front speakers....the rears are just empty holes!

Trying to weigh up options so thought I'd ask others advice.

Do I change it out for a Symphony and gain 6 discs and MP3 (the Chorus doesn't accept MP3 discs). I would probably buy some new front speakers, put the original front ones in the rear and wire it all off a 4 channel amp.

My other option is something like the Pioneer car play units... but I want to retain my wheel controls. I did think RNS-E but I cant find one below £400!

My main requirements are decent sound and probably the option of connecting my iPod, I have a parrot for the bluetooth side.

Why Audi would supply a 2009 car with a radio capable of just CD playback, no aux and front speakers is beyond me.

Any help/advice or telling me I'm silly is welcome.

If you buy a lower specced car, then you have to expect it to be of a lower spec. Hence the Chorus radio and 2 speakers.

Cheapest way is buy a Concert and an aftermarket Aux adaptor. Depending on cash available you can upgrade to a used Bose System or something else aftermarket for the rear. @Sayam is well versed with different ways of upgrading ICE stuff.

If you buy a lower specced car, then you have to expect it to be of a lower spec. Hence the Chorus radio and 2 speakers.

Cheapest way is buy a Concert and an aftermarket Aux adaptor. Depending on cash available you can upgrade to a used Bose System or something else aftermarket for the rear. @Sayam is well versed with different ways of upgrading ICE stuff.

It is my own fault I know :( I just didn't realise the Chorus was quite so spec-less. I think a Concert or Symphony may be the way forwards, I'm not bothered about sat nav as my separate TomTom does just fine. Did the later Concerts and Symphonies have Aux enabled as standard? That way I guess I can just wire a 3.5mm Jack onto the back of it and be away, Also heard that they have low level outputs on them so going straight into an amp should work fine?

Thanks again.

Have a look at a decent double DIN unit from Alpine or Pioneer. They easily output enough power using the internal amp to power a set of front components and rear coaxial speakers. The external 4 channel amp is a nice idea but it's effort.

Whereabouts are you located?

Have a look at a decent double DIN unit from Alpine or Pioneer. They easily output enough power using the internal amp to power a set of front components and rear coaxial speakers. The external 4 channel amp is a nice idea but it's effort.

Whereabouts are you located?

I had totally forgotten that an after-market would do 4 channels. That may well be the way forwards as long as I can keep my steering wheel controls.

I'm in North Norfolk @Sayam so not overly close to anywhere sadly

I had totally forgotten that an after-market would do 4 channels. That may well be the way forwards as long as I can keep my steering wheel controls.

I'm in North Norfolk @Sayam so not overly close to anywhere sadly

Well if you're ever in West Yorkshire then get in touch :)

I prefer the sound of Pioneer units over Alpine but they're equally as good.

If you want some upgraded speakers take a look at the Hertz Deici Line or the Audison Prima range. Both sets are nice and sensitive and would work well with the power output of a headunit.

For example in the front doors: http://www.fourcaraudio.co.uk/brands/hertz/hertz-dieci/hertz-dieci-dsk-165/

In the rear doors: http://www.fourcaraudio.co.uk/brands/hertz/hertz-dieci/hertz-dieci-dcx-165/

Ignore those prices, I can move on them... :)

I actually often pop up to West Yorkshire to see friends! The look of the pioneer units seems better to me too.

My other thought was to get something like the symphony and use its low outputs. I have an amp in the garage which is unused at the moment.
Would that be an easy-ish job? I am handy with a soldering iron and dont mind chasing wires.

Those speakers look lovely, the Hertz Dieci DSK 165.3 look perfect for the front.

I actually often pop up to West Yorkshire to see friends! The look of the pioneer units seems better to me too.

My other thought was to get something like the symphony and use its low outputs. I have an amp in the garage which is unused at the moment.
Would that be an easy-ish job? I am handy with a soldering iron and dont mind chasing wires.

Those speakers look lovely, the Hertz Dieci DSK 165.3 look perfect for the front.

Next time you're going to be up here send me a PM beforehand. At least I can show you mine and you can listen to it too :)

You certainly can reuse the amp that you have. The reason I suggested staying away is because of the part where you have to remove some interior bits and run the +12v wire from the battery back to wherever you'll be locating the amp. Other than that it's easy peasy I can help with any of it if you get stuck.

Do double check the symphony has low outputs, because I don't think I've ever looked at once in much detail...