Upgrades!

rwellfair

Reaction score
you guys must spend ££££££££££ on adding new bits to your older audi? would it not be better to pay out for a newer car? or is it a hobbie to fit the new kit? my self i dont have any car skills to fit any extras so just to have say a newe steering wheel with satnav would cost me the best part of £2000 !

ha i was the same as you then when i got my audi there was just a few small things i did not like about it ie the wheels where nasty.
and not all of us are lucky enough to buy say a s.line or quattro but like the way they look so its cheeper well thats what i think any way lol/
as for you not knowing how to do stuff mate i think thats why we are all here there is soooooooooooo many people on here to help and
given time they will turn you over to the dark side mwwwhaaaahahahah :hi:

Spare time costs nothing also a mark on the car that makes it mine is also a bonus
also the loss of a new car is unbearable for me
i also cant afford a new car ,
and to be honest there is not many new cars that doit for me and cars are getting way too complicated and costly to fix so i will always stick to older cars my B6 is too new for my liking really but it is a good car and i had it cheap at the time ,
and personally car skills are not too much of a problem i do everything my self im a mechanic and have lifts /pits etc at work to use when i want ive been there for 20years so its given :)
all the small changes ive personally made have not cost a vast amount of money but makes the car a little different and mine .
Paul

I've spent about £480 possible 500 ish on mine since i got it, that extra 500 on buying a new car would have gotten me very little extra.

intresting.. well i would't like to add a sat nav upgrade or a new sterring wheel! i can see my self messing up my new adui! then i would feel like a ****!

this is what i do day 2 day

www.DotAndDab.info

i was just thinking how much i have spent and its under 500 in the year that iv had it but i no it has put the price up and also i have more chance
to sell it if i was going to as it just looks that bit nicer

things like the satnav are easy ish if you have the duble din one already

Buying a new Audi you can spec. exactly what you want assuming you have deep pockets - Buying second hand you have to search and wait till the right car comes around with all the extra's desired and of course at the right price.

DIY modding - if you have the time and the right tools - it is even more satisfying than buying it already done - and hopefully if you are not silly, at a fraction of the showroom price.
Also you can do it as the money becomes available and not all at once which probably suits most members.

I like to feel I know my car inside and out and not just from the drivers seat - perhaps that's my engineering background making me curious?

Ive spent probably £2000 ish on mine but the Miltek set me back £1100 which was needed as my original exhaust was shot it.
When it comes to adding my persoanl tastes, i dont think about how much the car will get me back from resale I just see it as a treat. I work damn hard and to be honest I dont get to drive my car as much as I would like but when I do, I enjoy every minute of it.

Im in the Flooring Game so I can earn some real good money and when i get the chance, I take a much as possible, dont get me wrong, sometimes I have to work some crazy hrs and unsociable at that and sometimes its **** easy but its worth it and since Xmas 2008 Its been mental, Im all over the place working so I spend 75% of my driving time in my Van so I always look at it as Treats for myself. I dont blow all my cash on the Car, obviously I have to splash between Myself, Mrs & my 2 boys....aswell as doing my house up but why Not..you cant take it with you if god forbid something happens to me.

So yeah some are a little crazy when it comes to these upgrades but ive always been like that since I could drive, Ive probably had over 40 different cars in the 13yrs ive been driving and half of them have been "J7uss" stamped and I love it. I know when to stop though which is a good thing, Im not the sort of guy to start entering crazy worlds where you spend like 4 times what the car is worth - Heeelllllll No!!!

As for just buying a newer motor, its like others have said, New cars these days are either just too boring and dont do it for me or they are just way too expensive and unaffordable to the average guy plus I have always seen the B6 as the best looking A4 out there apart from the B8 but like I say - Too expensive to justify for myself who only does 3000mls a year if that!

Use the search functuion in this forum - it is possible to change a Single DIN to Double DIN - you will need a new Double DIN mounting cage which is essential for this mod - not so expensive. "Trim" your existing A/C unit front bezel or buy a replacement Double DIN one off Ebay or similar. This has been previously documented.
I had Single DIN - now I am all nav'ed up!

Adding to what J7USS wrote. ASN member's work hard for there penny's and when we have a few pound built up we like to treat the car's to some mod's and pick our mod's carefully. Most member's will sell there car's for a newer model and so on. I mayself work long hour's and don't get to drive my A4 very often. (car show's and event's ) is the only time the get's to have a long run. The b6 shape i think look's great and have had this car for over 2.5 year's and am not bored of it yet.. Cost to date is around 2k and worth every penny.

don't even ask about how much was spent... but about as much as I paid for the car in the first place!

that said, the B7 just doesn't do it for me and the B8 3.0TDI's are WAY out of my price range still... so got a few years to wait.... other option is an A4 Avant / A5 Sportback (3.0TDI) on the company scheme but all the Audi's are a bit pricey on that :(

I've had my car now for just 14 months and have spent a ****** fortune, what with the gearbox issues (6 to 7 plate conversion) and the power steering failure as well as the cambelt and water pump change I have spent £2300. The mods have set me back £1100 approx and I think it's money well spent. I get a lot of enjoyment from the fact that I did that modification, I've upgraded this and changed that. All from a relative novice!!

i dont add up what i spend, i just see it as the same as the house, theres no way i would buy a house and live in it without decorating it and putting my own personal touches to it !
the cars no different.
as for having the newer model, i couldnt justify the OVER THE ODDS jump in price from the b6 to the b7, just to get a new grill and headlights, theres a huge difference between a new model and a facelift model, a slight con if you ask me.
dont get me wrong , the b7 looks lovely but its hardly a newer car !!!

I like the B6 shape the most, and my car is my hobby so I spend my money on it. That said i tend to go for the lower end mods rather than the more expensive RNS/MFSW options etc - I would rather save the cost of those for a newer car.

For most of us there are reasonable mods that give us the personal satisfaction on our marques.
There are extremes one could go to which could quite easily facilitated by upgrading to a newer model.
However, if you are not worried by 2nd hand mod values then why not upgrade the spec. of your car to achieve your spec. requirements?
As it has been said you can always strip those pleasures prior to passing on your vehicle to a 3rd party.

Last edited:
i agree with you there james i like my car to look good but there is a limit on how much i would spend

We all have our own financial limits - and this is what makes this forum interesting - we are all individuals with our our own financial budgets.
If we all adhered to a uniform code of practice this site would be pretty boring from what I have seen to date.

im with you to an extent, performance mods are not my thing past a remap.

i don't see why i should spend a couple of grand getting turbo upgrades and what to hit the 350bhp mark when i can sell it and buy an S4 that does all the mods for me without the turbo lag :p

but as said a fiver on some black paint and a sunny weekend and im gonna put a few touches on the car to make it mine.

my last car (almera GTI V reg) stood me at around £17500. bearing in mind i bought the car as a cat c right off in 2002 for £2.2k and spent £2.2k getting it back on the road. it started out pretty much standard apart from wheels and paint job (flake paint). over the years it got well and truely modded, from ful leather interior, pulsar GTIR engine transplant, and finally turned into a van! and then sold it early this year, only got £2.5K for it!

now with the audi ive decided not to waste money on modding it to the same extreams, the car came with a fair few mods on it that i would of done anyway. but since feb this year ive spent round £1800 on it, out of that about £700 has been on non modding parts,

mods ive done so far are

RS4 alloys costing around £250
cruise control £250
RS4 front brakes £250
engine bay plastic trims £60
R8 oil filler cap £28
head unit/blue tooth £300
parking sensors £65 (but got for free)
chrome towball cover etc £30 (got for free)

it all comes down to the personal touch, and luckerly for me ive done all the work myself, only thing left to do is get the coil overs replaced