Upgraded Alarm System/Tracker

Liam Miller

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an upgraded alarm system and/or tracker available in the U.K. for facelifted S3's Sky Insurance require one to insure me but I'd rather have one/both to be on the safe side

Thanks

I had a Tracker on my previous car from www.tracker.co.uk. £200 a year subscription and made no difference at all to my insurance premium. The S3 already has Thatcham Cat 1 as standard as far as I am aware. But be honest would you really want the car back after somebody stole it and abused it? For me the Tracker just was not worth it.

Hi mate,cobra adr card car alarm.
You carry a driver card with u,no card no car start.Works with normal Audi car fob.

The A3/S3 come from the factory with a "Thatcham category 1 alarm/immobiliser" which is the highest police/insurance specification alarm/immobilizer system available in the UK.

There are 3 categories of tracker system - categories 5, 6 and 7:
Category 5 is the highest specification, and requires its own key dongle. If the car is started or moved without deactivating the tracker with its special key, then it automatically alerts a secure tracking response company. Some tracker manufacturers refer to the tracker's key as an ADR (additional driver recognition) device. This can be quite inconvenient, as if you so much as roll the car on the drive so you can wash the bottom half of the wheels - you'll get a barrage of phone calls from the police/tracking company, if your ADR key isn't where the tracker expects it to be. Most insurers only insist on category 5 for very expensive cars (abouve £90k or so).

Category 6 is a basic GPS based tracking system which is operated by the vehicle's ignition system. The system will trigger automatically if the car is moved without the engine running - but if the car is moved with the key, then nothing happens, unless the device is activated remotely by the monitoring station. These systems use GPS and 3G networks to transmit an accurate location to the monitoring station (subject to GPS and mobile reception). Some category 6 systems (e.g. tracker and automatrics) have an integrated high power radio beacon which can be detected suitably equipped police cars in the vicinity (because this doesn't need GPS or 3G reception, it works even in rural areas, and even if the vehicle has been placed in a garage or a shipping container, but it does require someone with a receiver to be in the location).

Category 7 is a radio beacon system only - there are few of these systems available, as they have largely been replaced or enhanced by GPS.

In general, a category 6 tracker is adequate unless the insurer has specifically requested a category 5. I've had a number of insurers, and while having the tracker has made no difference to the quotes - the difference was in the small print. For example, I signed up with LV - who were delighted to cover a brand new S3. I got to the end of the process, and was about to hand over the credit card number, when the operator said - "please note that there is a policy exclusion: no claim for theft will be accepted unless the vehicle is fitted with an operational tracker unit".

Reactions: Liam Miller
The A3/S3 come from the factory with a "Thatcham category 1 alarm/immobiliser" which is the highest police/insurance specification alarm/immobilizer system available in the UK.

There are 3 categories of tracker system - categories 5, 6 and 7:
Category 5 is the highest specification, and requires its own key dongle. If the car is started or moved without deactivating the tracker with its special key, then it automatically alerts a secure tracking response company. Some tracker manufacturers refer to the tracker's key as an ADR (additional driver recognition) device. This can be quite inconvenient, as if you so much as roll the car on the drive so you can wash the bottom half of the wheels - you'll get a barrage of phone calls from the police/tracking company, if your ADR key isn't where the tracker expects it to be. Most insurers only insist on category 5 for very expensive cars (abouve £90k or so).

Category 6 is a basic GPS based tracking system which is operated by the vehicle's ignition system. The system will trigger automatically if the car is moved without the engine running - but if the car is moved with the key, then nothing happens, unless the device is activated remotely by the monitoring station. These systems use GPS and 3G networks to transmit an accurate location to the monitoring station (subject to GPS and mobile reception). Some category 6 systems (e.g. tracker and automatrics) have an integrated high power radio beacon which can be detected suitably equipped police cars in the vicinity (because this doesn't need GPS or 3G reception, it works even in rural areas, and even if the vehicle has been placed in a garage or a shipping container, but it does require someone with a receiver to be in the location).

Category 7 is a radio beacon system only - there are few of these systems available, as they have largely been replaced or enhanced by GPS.

In general, a category 6 tracker is adequate unless the insurer has specifically requested a category 5. I've had a number of insurers, and while having the tracker has made no difference to the quotes - the difference was in the small print. For example, I signed up with LV - who were delighted to cover a brand new S3. I got to the end of the process, and was about to hand over the credit card number, when the operator said - "please note that there is a policy exclusion: no claim for theft will be accepted unless the vehicle is fitted with an operational tracker unit".
Handy to know mate, cheers! Managed to sort it with Admiral now via a multi policy with the other half. Ageas who I'm currently with via Sky Insurance, wanted nearly £1300 and required I fit a tracker. That was with the clubs discount too. Admiral have managed to get me a price of £656

Does anyone know of an upgraded alarm system and/or tracker available in the U.K. for facelifted S3's Sky Insurance require one to insure me but I'd rather have one/both to be on the safe side

Thanks

The best trackers are Vodafone CobraTrak.

The best trackers are Vodafone CobraTrak.

The best tracker is Tracker!

The Vodafone solution only uses GSM/GPRS to track the vehicle. Ever tried to make a phone call inside an underground car park, or worse, inside a steel ISO shipping container?

Tracker uses a combination of GSM and VHF radio, if GSM doesn't work, VHF will. It's also the only system installed in almost every police force car which allows them to directly track and locate vehicles that have had their tracker system triggered.

All professional tracking solutions are a subscription based service. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

And, to all those that say they would rather loose their cars than have it found, after the amount of blood, sweat and money invested, l know what ld rather have.

Just my view :racer:

Reactions: davc and AudiNutta
The best tracker is Tracker!

The Vodafone solution only uses GSM/GPRS to track the vehicle. Ever tried to make a phone call inside an underground car park, or worse, inside a steel ISO shipping container?

Tracker uses a combination of GSM and VHF radio, if GSM doesn't work, VHF will. It's also the only system installed in almost every police force car which allows them to directly track and locate vehicles that have had their tracker system triggered.

All professional tracking solutions are a subscription based service. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

And, to all those that say they would rather loose their cars than have it found, after the amount of blood, sweat and money invested, l know what ld rather have.

Just my view :racer:

Interesting, thanks.

I haven't decided if I'd want mine back yet or not, it just seems a given that these cars should have a tracker. The immobilisation potential is great, they might only get half a mile away.

I'm going for the tracker locate on mine as i had it on my last one and it's nice being able to see where it is at any time.
You can set geofencing which alerts you when it goes out of a specific area and they also ring you if the power is disconnected at any time. It also also logs all your journeys etc.
Currently on offer direct from tracker for £550 with 2 years subscription until the end of March.
And yes I would want it back if it was taken. It took me ages to find this one, I work hard to have it and no way would I want some scroat getting his hands on it to fund his lifestyle.

Reactions: davc, Rob2k68 and RAF_S7
I'm going for the tracker locate on mine as i had it on my last one and it's nice being able to see where it is at any time.
You can set geofencing which alerts you when it goes out of a specific area and they also ring you if the power is disconnected at any time. It also also logs all your journeys etc.
Currently on offer direct from tracker for £550 with 2 years subscription until the end of March.
And yes I would want it back if it was taken. It took me ages to find this one, I work hard to have it and no way would I want some scroat getting his hands on it to fund his lifestyle.

This^^^

That's a really good deal on the Tracker package!!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Clifford Blackjax stopped a mate of mines B7 RS4 from being taken too far.

Check out the 'Ghost CANbus Immobiliser', seriously thinking about one of these for my next car. Too close to changing now to fit one.

Think it's around £400 fitted:

I like the concept of the Ghost system. It's not dissimilar to the "hidden switch" concept which l used to have on my old 90's XR3i. However things have moved on, and not all for the better.

As car security has improved over the years, including the coding of car keys, the method of theft has changed.

Yes, there will always be the opportunist theft from the station car park etc. but targeted theft from the driveway, sometimes involving home intrusion in order to get the keys, is on the rise, especially for the S and RS models - or top of the range cars from other manufacturers.

Your car has been targeted, either to order, or for use in some other crime. They are prepared to break into your house and steal the keys, even when you and the family are at home in bed. They have smashed their way in, snatched your keys and are now sitting in your car, and click - nothing happens. What you now risk is an escalation of the situation. Do these masked thugs come back into the house, come up to your bedroom and force you, under threat of violence to start your car?

Ghost is now a liability to you, and to your family.

If you regularly park at the train station for 8 hours a day, it's a great system, and certainly gives you piece of mind. If you then park your pride and joy on the driveway overnight, Ghost could easily turn into a nightmare.

Tracker won't stop your car being started and driven off the driveway - so the immediate threat to you has left the area. But one electronic signal from your Tracker control room will stop it dead in its tracks, and direct a recovery team or the police to where it's sitting, abandoned mid drive by the thieves.

Just saying......

Reactions: AudiNutta and davc
I like the concept of the Ghost system. It's not dissimilar to the "hidden switch" concept which l used to have on my old 90's XR3i. However things have moved on, and not all for the better.

As car security has improved over the years, including the coding of car keys, the method of theft has changed.

Yes, there will always be the opportunist theft from the station car park etc. but targeted theft from the driveway, sometimes involving home intrusion in order to get the keys, is on the rise, especially for the S and RS models - or top of the range cars from other manufacturers.

Your car has been targeted, either to order, or for use in some other crime. They are prepared to break into your house and steal the keys, even when you and the family are at home in bed. They have smashed their way in, snatched your keys and are now sitting in your car, and click - nothing happens. What you now risk is an escalation of the situation. Do these masked thugs come back into the house, come up to your bedroom and force you, under threat of violence to start your car?

If you regularly park at the train station for 8 hours a day, it's a great system, and certainly gives you piece of mind. If you then park your pride and joy on the driveway overnight, Ghost could easily turn into a nightmare.

Tracker won't stop your car being started and driven off the driveway - so the immediate threat to you has left the area. But one electronic signal from your Tracker control room will stop it dead in its tracks, and direct a recovery team or the police to where it's sitting, abandoned mid drive by the thieves.

Just saying......

That's what saved my mates RS4, the Blackjax allowed them to start it and drive away but then cut the engine out, meaning they were away from his house at least and the car wasn't going anywhere.

Reactions: RAF_S7, -Ju- and Rob2k68
I had blackjax on my evo, brilliant bit of kit, can confirm it works lol, played up on me once, driving down the road early one morning car engine cut out alarm went off waking everyone in the street, they were not too pleased lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am an autowatch authorised installer for ghost. Rrp is indeed £399. I'm not allowed to advertise online for less but could maybe do a discount for asn members when buying keys etc at same time.

Very good point, it's just a risk of when they try to take your car as you say. I was on nights a few weeks back and a car followed me into my works car park, once he realised it was a big works car park he did a 180 and went back out! This did worry me a bit as he now knew where my car was going to be for 9.5 hours over night!

I am an autowatch authorised installer for ghost. Rrp is indeed £399. I'm not allowed to advertise online for less but could maybe do a discount for asn members when buying keys etc at same time.
How long does it take to fit and what wires do you need to cut into for installation? If things did go wrong with it or you forgot the code, is there a way to override the system? Does it drain battery power all the timer or does it just kick in once the key is turned?

Very good point, it's just a risk of when they try to take your car as you say. I was on nights a few weeks back and a car followed me into my works car park, once he realised it was a big works car park he did a 180 and went back out! This did worry me a bit as he now knew where my car was going to be for 9.5 hours over night!

How long does it take to fit and what wires do you need to cut into for installation? If things did go wrong with it or you forgot the code, is there a way to override the system? Does it drain battery power all the timer or does it just kick in once the key is turned?

There are no cut wires but it connects to existing wires. Installation and setup time depends on vehicle and as I haven't actually fitted many I'd over estimate fitting time at around 2 hours.

There is a manual over ride. Autowatch will hold details of the installation and should you forget the code they will help you reset it once they are happy you are the genuine customer. I do not keep any security details. I have to return paperwork detailing the device location etc as it's so small you would never find it without ripping the wiring loom apart.

There is no timer and very minimal curent drain. It will pOwer on when the cars can system boots up. You set a pin number yourself once installation is finished using the generic pin I supply and a sequence of actions to change it. Any buttons on the can stsystemcan be a part of the pin.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: AudiNutta and S32B
There are no cut wires but it connects to existing wires. Installation and setup time depends on vehicle and as I haven't actually fitted many I'd over estimate fitting time at around 2 hours.

There is a manual over ride. Autowatch will hold details of the installation and should you forget the code they will help you reset it once they are happy you are the genuine customer. I do not keep any security details. I have to return paperwork detailing the device location etc as it's so small you would never find it without ripping the wiring loom apart.

There is no timer and very minimal curent drain. It will pOwer on when the cars can system boots up. You set a pin number yourself once installation is finished using the generic pin I supply and a sequence of actions to change it. Any buttons on the can stsystemcan be a part of the pin.

Hope this helps.

That's a great help thanks ;)

Reactions: @udi A3