Upgrade Turbo Advice needed for 2.0 TDI (140)

Sir_Bacharach

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently bought an Audi A3 8P1 Quatro 2.0 TDI (140) and felt it was a bit flat, so I went and had it remapped to 178 BHP (See rolling road graph in below attachment).
It's been a month and I've been happy with the results, but suddenly the turbo has started whistling constantly, even without load and very noticeably when you first fire it up. I'm guessing it's about to fail.

So in preparation, I was thinking rather than get a reconditioned turbo of the same type, I'd like some advice on getting an upgraded Turbo that is stronger than the one that comes with the car and that can handle more power, preferably up to 250 bhp in case I want to get it remapped further.

I don't really know what's involved with having a new turbo fitted either, such as does it need a remap by default or will it continue to run as it did with the old Turbo until it is remapped? Does it need any extra manifolds or pipes?

Also what makes and models would fit my engine and where would I get them from?

I was hoping some of you guys would have done the same to your 2.0 TDI at some point and may have some advice for me.

I'm quite new to the forum and don't use forums a lot so hope that I don't break any rules or appear to lack any kind of common sense or forum etiquette.

Also I don't know if this should perhaps be in a different category and not just Audi A3, because it's engine related rather than car model related?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Rob.

Rolling Road -
12034172 952723891441193 1224428143512254833 o

Pic of Car -
Rolling Road

Thanks for all your replies.

Not sure if this will be of any help to anyone but the whistling noise I was told by a few garages will be the bearings on the turbo failing.

It hasn't failed but I've had it replaced in case it does.
There is a very slight whistle from the turbo now but it doesn't sound abnormal, I think I'm just listening for it now, but before it was so loud it sounded like the police were after me.

The place I went to seemed to do a very thorough job, replaced the oil return and intake piping and changed the oil and filter as well as the oil pressure sensor to make sure the turbo gets enough oil.

It was a costly job but I have piece of mind now.