Upgrade To rns-e 2010 model in 2006 Model Audi Bose pin change?

Dannykn9

"Cruise My Ride"
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys, i am new to this forum and must say it is top notch and you lot really seem to know what your talking about.
I recently got Vagcom and amazed with what i can do. Also anyone ever need coding then I will always try to help!!
North London/Enfield Area, your always welcome to come to me!!

Back to my question, and i know it has probably been asked before, so sorry to ask again but i just can't seem to find the answer.
I have an A3 (8P) 2.0TDI 170 Sport (2006 model) and am upgrading my Symphony II radio to the latest RNS-e 2010 model with LED screen. I also currently have the BOSE Sound System.
Now I know that on 2007 onward models ( with quad block already installed) the brown pin has to be changed from 5 to 7, but i think i recall reading somewhere that on 2006 models with the four way iso leads (not quad block), the pin does not need to be moved. Can someone please confirm this or please correct me.
Just to let you know that I have the adapter lead that converts to a quad block and also the diversity lead.
The person I got the adapter cable from said it is already BOSE Compatible.
Just need to know if i do need to move any pins.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appriciated guys. PS to be polite, i will soon post some pictures of my baby.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Please guys, someone help, I have been searching answers all night on forums. The only answer I get is for 2007 models onwards, and not 2006 models with the different harness.
I thought this was a friendly community where everyone helps eachother?
I have said that I have full Vagcom and would be willing to help out a fellow Audi user, so please can someone here help me out?!!
Or send me a link to a post with the answer!

Please lads help me out.

Thanks

Give it a try and if you get thumping bass then it wi,ll work, if not read the pinouts on the top of the unit to see where the bose pins are/need moved to.

Cheers Adam, will give it a try, although i did finally speak to someone today who said that if the adapter harness is BOSE ready then there is no need to move pins. Will let you fella, and thanks again, much appriciated.

Thanks

Hi Dannykn9 i have personally done this conversion to my 2006 and as long as the adapter harness is BOSE ready (i got mine from kufatec) then it is plug and play, with some VCD coding. Just to note i found that placing the GPS antenna behind the clocks gives a constant 7-8 sats after only gettin 6 above the glovebox.

Thanks BlueSpark, really helpful info mate. Got it of ebay but was not cheap, and fella said it was BOSE compatible already. Thanks for the antenna info, was gonna put it above the glove box for ease, but if it means taking the cluster out and sticking it behind there for better reception then i guess that is what i will do. Thanks again fella, your help is much appriciated.:sm4:

Lol Dannykn9 ur initial thinking is just like me, i put it above glovebox for ease too and then found putting it behind clocks was much easier. It just two screws to remove cluster and feed the cable through from center console.

Cheers BlueSpark, i am sure there is a detailed diagram or something on how to remove the cluster. More digging around the forums for me!! Unless you have a link to one you know already pal? If not, then not to worry, you have already been a great help.

Thanks

Danny
If you look at the wiring diagram on the case of the old unit and the new unit you can work this out. see which is the bose pin in the symphony and check the wire colour, see what colour it becomes when plugged onto the quadlock converter and whether that colour matches the bose pin on the RNSE dia on its case.

DSC_0001-7.jpg

DSC_0002-10.jpg

You can see here bose is purple

RNSEBlock.jpg

On my quad lock the purple goes to three when the old plug is plugged into it but the bose on the RNSE was in position 7 so i had to move pin 3 to 7.
If your lead is for bose it should not need moving

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

1st of all, dont take this the wrong way as its purely friendly advice, but we are a friendly community, you need to understand this is a forum, not a shop, so you wont get instant support, even a day later maybe normal & we do all help eachother out but its not always possible within yours or others time frame as people are either working, busy with family or just dont have the time.

Now as to your queries, Paddy & co have done a good job already, but stick the gps antenna above the glovebox next to the passenger side vent, this is the best place, double sided sticky foam tape, never had an issue, no need to stick behind cluster.

Although adapters are bose compatible, most are usually wired wrong, so as stated look at your wiring label on top of old radio & then map out pin to pin where it goes to from adapter to the new radio label pin locations, its quite simple overall.

Thanks Paddy, your a real star, will let you know the outcome tomorrow night.
Once again thankyou so much.
Danny
If you look at the wiring diagram on the case of the old unit and the new unit you can work this out. see which is the bose pin in the symphony and check the wire colour, see what colour it becomes when plugged onto the quadlock converter and whether that colour matches the bose pin on the RNSE dia on its case.

DSC_0001-7.jpg

DSC_0002-10.jpg

You can see here bose is purple

RNSEBlock.jpg

On my quad lock the purple goes to three when the old plug is plugged into it but the bose on the RNSE was in position 7 so i had to move pin 3 to 7.
If your lead is for bose it should not need moving

Thanks Nigel, really appriciate the info. I totally understand out people being busy. As a newbie here please accept my apologies everyone.
Hope i can get along with all of you.
You lot really seem to know your stuff, hope i can one day be as confident as you guys.

Many thanks again and i will keep you posted with my progress.

Cheers lads:beerchug:
Welcome to the site.

1st of all, dont take this the wrong way as its purely friendly advice, but we are a friendly community, you need to understand this is a forum, not a shop, so you wont get instant support, even a day later maybe normal & we do all help eachother out but its not always possible within yours or others time frame as people are either working, busy with family or just dont have the time.

Now as to your queries, Paddy & co have done a good job already, but stick the gps antenna above the glovebox next to the passenger side vent, this is the best place, double sided sticky foam tape, never had an issue, no need to stick behind cluster.

Although adapters are bose compatible, most are usually wired wrong, so as stated look at your wiring label on top of old radio & then map out pin to pin where it goes to from adapter to the new radio label pin locations, its quite simple overall.

Hi Paddy/Nigel

i have just quickly pull out my symphony 2 and chased the BOSE wire connected to harness and chased it to quad block, and it is exactley as you have showed paddy in your photos and discription, so i must certainley have to move from pin3 to 7. My question is i know how to remove the connector out of the white casing but cannot seem to pull out the pin to move it. Is there a simple technique to getting it out? I am a bit dubious about pulling it to hard and the wire comes lose and still leaves the pin intact

Danny
Its not easy but if you imagine the connector is pushed into the white plastic block from the wire in side with a fish hook style barb on the top of it facing backwards then you can see why you will never pull it out backwards. You need to some how slide a needle or something small into the block to push the barb down . Insert the needle from the front ( not the wire in side) above on top of the connector depress the barb and pull the wire out the back.
I hope you get what i mean and to be honest it took me ages and i half destroyed the plug around the pin position but you dont need that position any more so its not the end of the world, Good luck..its not easy but can be done.

Paddy, I managed to do it and quite easily to my surprise. Above the connector there are vere small pin holes, i just got a very small sewing needle, popped it in the hole above the pin i wanted to remove and with a litlle push it free'd the the wire and pin and i just pulled it out and re-inserted to pin 7! OnlY thing is when i re-inserted to pin 7 , it does not lock in by it self but i found when i put the white casing back on, it will firmly hold in place anyway. I will post some pictures on here of what i done to remove the pin so other people can do the same for future reference.

Thanks again lads.

It will lock in i expect but you will have to bend the barb up again as its prob sitting flat after you pushed it down to remove the first time ??? I did try the little hole in the top when i did mine but i coldnt get it to release...Lady luck is on your side :) Good luck !

If its the 009 repair wires that are usually used on oem connectors on the quadlock connectors, then remove the external housing, then you can push down on the raised tabs from the flat side of the housing where there's a small hole, not from the end of the housing & pull them out at the same time from the wire end, never fails tbh, although there's a 2 step process for this, you need to push down on the tab twice as it gets stuck halfway along, so push down again & it will come all the way out.

Problem is the aftermarket quadlocks dont use the same housing or same 009 pin ends, so they can be a pita, but if I'm hnest its only a minute job at most if its stuck, as already successfully use of the needles.

Looks like it was just me that got stuck ......no suprise there then.:lmfao:

Guys, I got my new rns-e installed and have vagcom new settings, and must say it is sweet, totally impressed with it. All functions work perfect, BOSE sounds great, navigation is top, lime the directions in the DIS, bonus! impressed with the sdhc slots (any ideas upto what gig card they support as i have a four gig card at the mo?) and my Phone even syncs my contacts.
Just one small issue, my voice command want recognise when I say "radio" or "navigation", but it still works for my phone no problem, any suggestion lads?

One again, a big thanks to all who helped me as you have this install easy for me, it is really appreciated lads.

Glad it all went smoothly Dan. Nige (NHN) is our in car phone man ( and everything else come to that ) :yes:

Sure he will be along to help soon mate.

Need to install sds fully to work & the unit has to be the specific sds version.

32GB sdhc is the tops & needs to be a decent class 10 version aswell, I can supply these usually, stock permitting.

Nigel, how much for the card mate, and I think my unit is sds version supported, how do I check to confirm? How do I install or is it a case of coding mate?
I am of to magaluf today for a stag, will be back Tuesday lads.
Have a good weekend all.

PM me & I'll give you a price.

Need to check if it has SDS is the menu options.

Its wiring & coding, I can do this if interested.

I gotta take mine out and have another look now.

What is it your trying to do mate? Anyway i can help you.
Over the weekend, i will post some pictures of the BOSE pin change so everyone else can also learn.

I just managed to change the Bose pin in under a minute! Wow! I thought it would be alot harder. Thanks to these instructions it was easy.

Wheres the best place to put the GPS?

I dont really wanna take out the clocks.

I just managed to change the Bose pin in under a minute! Wow! I thought it would be alot harder. Thanks to these instructions it was easy.

Wheres the best place to put the GPS?

I dont really wanna take out the clocks.

I make you right about the bose pins, i thought it would be hard, but found it quite easy mate. Did you use my instructions about poking a small pin through the front to release it?

No need to put it behind the clocks mate, I put mine "on top of the glove box" just underneath the passenger far side air vent. It is a case of undoing i think about 5 8mm bolts, dropping the glove box down, feed through the wire through the side cage of the unit, tidy up the wire with cable tie, then putting the glove box back. Make sure to use double sided strong hold tape to hold the actual antenna in place.

Forgot to mention, before careful when removing the glove box, not to disconnect the passenger airbag, casue if you do, it will set of the warning light on the dash, and then you will need to vagcom to clear the fault.

Hope this helps mate

I mounted GPS up in hole by Air Vents and Im getting 7 satellites.
Yeah I listed to what you said about swapping the wires, so it was very easy! Thanks mate!

Last edited:
I mounted GPS up in hole by Air Vents and Im getting 7 satellites.
Yeah I listed to what you said about swapping the pics so it was very easy! Thanks mate!

Glad I have finally been of some use, lol! Yeah that is a good place to install, i also get about 7-8 sats which is pretty dicent.

Glad you got it all sorted mate, just need to code it properly now.

Hi guys, i have recently brought an Audi A3 sportback DSG 2006, i have purchased a RNSE-PU and would like some good advice from you guys please. I need to purchase the adapter from Kufatec, i would be grateful if someone can post a link to the correct kit that i need to purchase and also the options that i need to choose. The vehicle came with a Audi concert sound system with Bose speakers. There is no CD changer and i have no hands free factory fitted. Also, i am not too sure what Kufatec mean when they ask the following: Have you small BNS-Navi? I would be grateful if someone could guide me on what options to choose and the correct kit i need to purchase please.

Thank you

Adam

Hi guys, i have recently brought an Audi A3 sportback DSG 2006, i have purchased a RNSE-PU and would like some good advice from you guys please. I need to purchase the adapter from Kufatec, i would be grateful if someone can post a link to the correct kit that i need to purchase and also the options that i need to choose. The vehicle came with a Audi concert sound system with Bose speakers. There is no CD changer and i have no hands free factory fitted. Also, i am not too sure what Kufatec mean when they ask the following: Have you small BNS-Navi? I would be grateful if someone could guide me on what options to choose and the correct kit i need to purchase please.

Thank you

Adam

Hi Adam, just order the following of eBay. AUDI RNS-E adapter A3 A4 A6 Diversity antenna 0141 | eBay
There is also a kit with the satellite antenna, but you probably already got one with the unit.