Upgrade to a new dsg gearbox possible?

RafaelF

Reaction score
I have a A3 2.0 tdi 170hp 2007 (BMN), the gearbox electro-valves are faulty... in order to repair them Audi wants 1800€ plus vac +labour which I think is alot.

I've searching for used gearboxes, and I found one from Golf Vi 2012 GTD
http://olx.pt/anuncio/caixa-velocid...requestFromAd=1&track[message_sent]=1&id_at=0

But the seller says it could be difrent and don't grant me the money back if the golf6 gearbox doesn't fit my A3.

Did anyone manage to ''upgrade'' DSG or I should forget this 2012 Dsg ??

please need help on this asap

Are the 'electro-valves' the mechatronics unit? http://www.gearboxnottingham.co.uk/ecu-repair those guys seem to have a good reputation on the net and may be able to repair your unit which would save you the cost of buying a new one.
yes it's the mechatronic, but here in portugal, buying a used one seems to be way cheaper so I wanted to know if it's possible to put that 2012 dsg

Contact TVS Engineering in Netherlands also check DSG-Dokter.nl (same company)
They know this

Reactions: RafaelF
In the specs in your handbook, you'll find the gearbox code; mine's an HFQ. I would think any gearbox with the same code will fit? Mine's only a 140, so I'd think your's has a different number.

Last edited:
In the specs in your handbook, you'll find the gearbox code; mine's an HFQ. I would think any gearbox with the same code will fit? Mine's only a 140, so I'd think your's has a different number.
Where in the handbook exactly?
but I guess this 2 dsgs have difrent number, so that's why I asked here

Anything is possible if you throw enough £££££ at it

I know Smirky, but it I iit becomes too expensive I rather stick to manual from tdi sport ... my dsg code is KMW, and the one I can get ''cheap'' is NLN _''Vw Golf Vi Gtd 2.0 Tdi 170cv 2012 - Cfgb - Ref: Nln''

What should I do? I tried to contact TVS but no response

Well I wouldn't buy unless you know it 100% fits ,

For the record I got a response from TVS and it fits, the only requirement is, it needs a custom sofware from then, so I guess, good news. this newer dsg have better rep !

Reactions: AudiA3JJ
Ok car is rollin and way better than the with the older DSG.

Just need a custom software now, cause the one I had went with the old dsg :)

3weeks without him I missed him :) haha

20150921_123924.jpg

Reactions: AudiA3JJ
Hi, interesting it fits and works so well, good to hear. Was the new gearbox easy to code to your older car?

Hi, interesting it fits and works so well, good to hear. Was the new gearbox easy to code to your older car?
Yes I had the the old dsg remaped, but now after replacing with the golf6 one this one is stock...but behaving well :) (no need coding)

Reactions: RedDejavu
I just recently changed my Mechatronic unit, if I'd of known this I'd of gone the same route. It's impressive it was so easy, I'm guessing the plug for the newer mechatronic was the same too.

almost plug and Drive :)
and cheaper than only the mechatronic itself...that's why I made this choice, plus I read somewhere this gearbox has a better mechatronic valve system, plus torque limiter is 550 instead of 400 on older one (which I removed it, cause I have 430+nm atm)

I think Audi learned a lot from the mistakes they made on the earlier auto gearboxes and this transpired in next generation mk6 as you have now. Hopefully now you'll get many more miles out if the new box and more with the extra torque gains.

I thought it was going to be a longer gearbox but no, it's the same 2350rpm for 120kmh in 6th (very similar)

Fair enough you learn something new everyday.

I think our 6th gear is too low...at 3000rpm we're doing just under 100MPH (tested on track) whereas on the same track day my mates cars were doing over 100MPH at 3000rpm is 6th gear...

which gearboxes? wich track you use 6th?
Old gearbox hited 195km/h on max rpm(4650 I guess, with old file) on 5th then 6th goes till 235kmh on straight line, not much more with this turbo

which gearboxes? wich track you use 6th?
Old gearbox hited 195km/h on max rpm(4650 I guess, with old file) on 5th then 6th goes till 235kmh on straight line, not much more with this turbo

When I said track that was to make it clear I'm not breaking the law on public roads for which I'd rightly be prosecuted.

There is a farm about 10 miles from my house with what is best described as a drag strip right through the middle of it. The farmer said it was a road connecting one side of the property to the other before he bought the land/property and started using it for farming/animals/horses etc. He's a nice guy and let's people use it for testing, also as he is interested in older cars himself he allows small meets/shows to be hosted there too.

DSG box on a 2009 CR170.

DSG box on a 2009 CR170.

You can always say you drive at 290km/h on road and lie hahaha

Strange fact dsg from 2009 is longer, mine is from 2012, need to test rpm at 160kmh /100mph

Reactions: Sayam
3000 rpm = 160kmh =100mph

On the needle or on the digital readout?

The needle may look like its at 100 but if you click it up 1mph at a time using he cruise control it sits at about 97/98MPH.

I did with cruise control
digital and needle have almost the same reading