Upgrade fuel pump S3 8L 99´

Solberg

Reaction score
Hello, new on here! Bought my self a 99 mod s3 this summer and doing some upgrades before remap later on.

The car was doing remap last year but the stock integrated fuel pump could not deliver enough power so I guess I need to upgrade. How do i proceed? Spending tens of hours on google I find some say use uprated integrated pump and some say dont as u can get fuel cut on low tank, and ive seen a few more say just use an "inline" pump...with USRT wiring, but heck I dont see them selling those wire harnesses anymore?

If my stock pump cant deliver enough fuel how will a inline pump help? Will it suck so much that the stock pump will speed up, or will it suck much faster and then suck just air?

Misa needs helpsa lol...

I dunno why but I just get an error when I try sending you an pm reply Leigh... ill try again later.
You need 3 posts on the forum before you can use message, parts request etc

Hello, new on here! Bought my self a 99 mod s3 this summer and doing some upgrades before remap later on.

The car was doing remap last year but the stock integrated fuel pump could not deliver enough power so I guess I need to upgrade. How do i proceed? Spending tens of hours on google I find some say use uprated integrated pump and some say dont as u can get fuel cut on low tank, and ive seen a few more say just use an "inline" pump...with USRT wiring, but heck I dont see them selling those wire harnesses anymore?

If my stock pump cant deliver enough fuel how will a inline pump help? Will it suck so much that the stock pump will speed up, or will it suck much faster and then suck just air?

Misa needs helpsa lol...
What is your remap? What are your modifications?
Have you logged injector duty? Have you measured fuel pressure?

I can also recommend the deatschwerks dw65 I've been running it for around 6 months with no issues

Ive been looking at that one... do you guys have fuel pickup problems when tank level is low?

I have Tuscan I-Beams and Wiseco pistons from Integrated Engineering, i have a Franken F23 (k04 hybrid?) turbo with 550cc injectors, stock downpipe and cats with Miltek 2,75" catback. And got some papers from engine/top work aswell.

It was not me who built the engine but i was told when it was doing mapping after build last summer the car could not do more than 265whp because of 2 things wich was oem downpipe and that the fuel pump could not "deliver" enough. The car has 230,000km (143k miles?) on it so could be why pump is not giving enough...265whp max for the standard pump sounds a little low if u ask me?

Ive been talking with my tuner about this and he said get a high flow down pipe with race cats and fix my fueling and I could come back.

The car was doing remap last year but the stock integrated fuel pump could not deliver enough power so I guess I need to upgrade.

What is your remap? What are your modifications?
Have you logged injector duty? Have you measured fuel pressure?
^^^.... As Karl said... this information would be useful...

S3 pumps are known to go weak now due to age etc... need to understand how you got to this conclusion as it could be injectors maxed out, pump weak or any number of other factors depending on what 'mods' you have applied... for all we know you could be trying to run a GT35 off a std fuel pump! :)

Spending tens of hours on google I find some say use uprated integrated pump and some say dont as u can get fuel cut on low tank, and ive seen a few more say just use an "inline" pump...with USRT wiring, but heck I dont see them selling those wire harnesses anymore?

There used to be a walbro pump available that was rated at around 255lph (IIRC) that alledgedly replaced the intank pump... it had this low fuel level issue as it wasn't really designed to fit properly like some of the current replacements

Depends on why the intank is 'not enough'... with an inline pump fitted the intank just acts as a lift pump and doesn't have to work as hard to deliver a volume of fuel at pressure... the intank only needs to keep up with the demands of the inline which is less demanding than doing it on its own... ideally you would use the intank to supply a swirl pot reservoir and then the inline feeds from that but I use an inline fed direct from the intank on mine.... but then I do actually have a GT35 :)

The deatschwerks dw65 seems to be the one to have these days without going to the hassle of wiring in an inline pump... the inlines can be noisy when not used with a swirl pot too but if you are shooting for big power (more than a K04 hybrid) then you should consider an inline too...

Also (and this is why Karl's post is very relevant) an inline will NOT fix a worn out intank... if your fuelling issues are due to the intank being tired then it needs replacing regardless...

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffy and all others for good replys, might sound like most relevant thing to do is just going with the dw65 for starters then. My goal is just really to max out my F23, the car looks very OEM now and here in Norway they are very strict on tuned cars so dont think i will ever get a bigger turbo which will higher the risk of getting "caught" with mods and having to replace everything....

It doesnt say it fits 8L S3, but will it fit anyway? :) I got the APY engine, 210hp.
https://store.034motorsport.com/hig...3-tt-ttrs-quattro-deatschwerks-dw65v-awd.html

...My goal is just really to max out my F23

See... its this info that relevant dude... not easy to suggest how to help without knowing this kinda stuff...

So you have a FrankenTurbo F23 then? what injectors and FPR are you using to support this?...

It doesnt say it fits 8L S3, but will it fit anyway? :) I got the APY engine, 210hp.
https://store.034motorsport.com/hig...3-tt-ttrs-quattro-deatschwerks-dw65v-awd.html

Yes... it will fit...

<tuffty/>

See... its this info that relevant dude... not easy to suggest how to help without knowing this kinda stuff...

So you have a FrankenTurbo F23 then? what injectors and FPR are you using to support this?...

Yes... it will fit...

<tuffty/>
Hehe, I wrote it just as u wrote to me, look above your last post mate :D

Franken f23 with 550cc injectors and forged internals.
FPR = fuel pressure regulator? Dont have any yet..... Heck I dont even have a turbo pressure gauge (wtf?)

When i picked the car up all vacuum lines was laying ontop of the engine beeing melted so ive been replacing all and making it look nice making sure there are no leaks. The car was only boosting 0,5bar which i really dont think is according to the map, there are a mbc in my engine room which I just adjusted to the lowest till I get some more parts.

I have ordered a wideband gauge from innovate(MXT-L) and a prosport turbo boost gauge for starters. I have no clue about the fueling I was just told by the guy i bought it off that when it was mapped the pump could not deliver.

Last edited:
Ahhh... cool... ok... the DW pump should do the job then based on its spec... not used one myself but its supposed to be a good pump..

<tuffty/>

Very interested in why you chose franken turbo.
And also the results.

Very interested in why you chose franken turbo.
And also the results.
No idea mate, prev-prev owner who did the build. I have only on engine rebuild receipts for a total off around 3,000GBP so dont now why he didnt go with a big turbo. But..its not the only strange thing, it has standard downpipe and cats aswell so got some things to put me hands on in the upcoming time.

Any tips on DP while at it guys?
Been looking at 2 types, one is "cheap" and comes in 70mm before decreasing to 63,5mm outlet, no vbands.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Downpipe-Au...ash=item35dcd8d33d:g:WkcAAOSwQItUHPOl&vxp=mtr

The other looks betterbuilt, has vbands, and 90mm inlet from turbo, and looks like it has 76mm outlet from the german text?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Downpipe-Au...1d0f48&pid=100229&rk=3&rkt=15&sd=172303870056

I have Miltek catback system which is 70mm, will 90mm(3,5inch) be a bit too big for my power?

Ive been out the scene for a while but relentless decat ised to be the way to go with k04 hybrids.

Guys???

They offer a sports cat.
You will have to check if they still pass. I remember some sports cats still failing

They offer a sports cat.
You will have to check if they still pass. I remember some sports cats still failing

They normally need more warming up to pass emissions so make sure you rag it on the way to the test centre

<tuffty/>

Relentless still the way with ko4?

Prefer the build quality of the Pipewerx one but whatever floats yer boat these days I guess... dunno if relentless has caught up yet with build quality as not seen one for a while...

<tuffty/>

Prefer the build quality of the Pipewerx one but whatever floats yer boat these days I guess... dunno if relentless has caught up yet with build quality as not seen one for a while...

<tuffty/>
Can you tell which is best by the 2 links i added to my last post mate? Is the relentless the same as the cheapest one?

Personally prefer the one in the second link

But yes... relentless is the same as the cheaper one... most likely from the same factory or even a copy.....

<tuffty/>

Personally prefer the one in the second link

But yes... relentless is the same as the cheaper one... most likely from the same factory or even a copy.....

<tuffty/>
Comprende... you sure its not a bit overkill with the 90mm out of turbo for a franken f23? :O ....Or is the bigger DP the better?