Upgrade from A4 B7 to A5

daled

Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading from a 2.0TDI 170 Quattro (PD engine) B7 A4 to the equivalent A5 coupe not sportback (common rail??)

I'm aware of the balance shaft & piezo injector issues on the PD engine and have had all that sorted on my current car, but fancy a change

Is there anythimng I should be aware of or looking for with the A5 generally, and specifically the 2.0TTDI quattro variant. I'm also not too worried on mileage as long as it has service history

Any help or advice gratefully received and thanks in advance

By balancer shaft, I assume you're referring to the hex-bolt that drives the oil pump on 2.0TDI pre-2008's: so you know about that issue (was fixed mid to late 2007, but I say 2008 to be safe).<br><br>Also: sounds like you're going manual (pretty sure the 2.0TDI was never available in auto), but if you end up looking at FWD auto's, just check that it's the 7-plate clutch - I think all the A5's are though.

Not aware of any other major issues: lots of grumbles about "firm" sport suspension, but that's just personal taste and personally, I can live with grandparents muttering about how my brother-in-laws BMW has softer suspension (it's an SE and also has about 150k hard miles on the clock, so it wallows!).