Upgrade, downgrade or sidestep?

CarterRS

Reaction score
So a couple of months a go I got a really strong offer for my stage 1 fl rs3 saloon from dream car giveaways, I thought about it for about a week and decided to except.

I've got a golf R Estate for a work car so I thought I would save abit of money and stick with that for a little bit.

Well that lasted about 3 weeks , I found myself looking on auto trader alot and last week I put a deposit down on a f80 m3 in Mexico blue. I haven't got pics on here but it's exactly the same as the pics below.

Obviously it's a different animal to my RS3, not as quick and much slower of the line. Not to mention the rear wheels lighting up the road! And it generally trying to kill you!

But... its always an itch I've had and with the crazy prices of the new m3 and horrible grill I figured now was the time to scratch it with the f80.

I managed to get a couple of test drives despite covid and loved it. Drove it a couple of days ago in warmish weather and it was great, also drove it a week or so ago in the wet and no doubt its a handful!
But only when your pushing it. Driving normal is felt fine even in the very wet.

Anyone have any experience or had one? Nearly every bad point people make on these cars is the traction or lack of it. It's definitely a more engaging and scary than the rs!

So.... upgrade ? Downgrade?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-203204_Auto Trader.jpg
    Screenshot_20210227-203204_Auto Trader.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Screenshot_20210227-203214_Auto Trader.jpg
    Screenshot_20210227-203214_Auto Trader.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: jimojameso
I love the colour! I have never driven one, but i have had an itch for an F80 for a long time! Congrats on the new car!

Reactions: CarterRS
Wanted a bmw for a little while now never had one, though I think the M2 comp is more my cup of tea the m3/4 seem really big? Love the colour correct colour interior to go with it also.

Wanted a bmw for a little while now never had one, though I think the M2 comp is more my cup of tea the m3/4 seem really big? Love the colour correct colour interior to go with it also.

I looked at the m2 but the interior let's it down alot. The m3/4 seems a little dated anyway. The m2 just felt abit plain

There's not much in it size wise between the m3 and rs3 saloon. The m3 looks wider because of the flared arches

The M3/4 just sound naff to me. Did test drive few years back now and was nice, but preferred my RS3.

Really Impressed with it so far. Pulls really hard

i had abit of a play with a mates fl rs3 sportback and the m3 pulls a noticeable difference ahead on the motorway. I haven't tried a launch yet because
It's pointless in this weather.

It doesn't sound as bad as the reviews suggest to be honest, it's no 5 cylinder but it sounds OK.

The idrive system is brilliant as is the heads up display.

The only thing that will tempt me to change will be the new rs3 when it's released

20210309 184338
20210309 184608 1

Reactions: Cheggers and jimojameso
Really Impressed with it so far. Pulls really hard

i had abit of a play with a mates fl rs3 sportback and the m3 pulls a noticeable difference ahead on the motorway. I haven't tried a launch yet because
It's pointless in this weather.

It doesn't sound as bad as the reviews suggest to be honest, it's no 5 cylinder but it sounds OK.

The idrive system is brilliant as is the heads up display.

The only thing that will tempt me to change will be the new rs3 when it's released

View attachment 216902View attachment 216903
Colour and spec nice one

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Well that lasted about a month!
Back in an audi after missing being able to throw it into a corner without it trying to spin and kill me. So hard to have a spirited drive in the m3 without the conditions being perfect.

This time I decided to go for an rs5 after having 2 rs3s.

Attachments

• 20210409_122138.jpg
    20210409_122138.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 106
  • 20210422_221833.jpg
    20210422_221833.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 103
Reactions: Cheggers and Riko0073
Well that lasted about a month!
Back in an audi after missing being able to throw it into a corner without it trying to spin and kill me. So hard to have a spirited drive in the m3 without the conditions being perfect.

This time I decided to go for an rs5 after having 2 rs3s.
Really that bad eh? Beautiful RS5!

In the wet or a damp road it was a waste of time having 450bhp , fun in the dry and with warm tryes but still I couldn't drive it like I could the rs3 or even my golf r .
The m3 was much more raw and hard-core. I drive the rs5 and when I had rs3 in dynamic most of the time and its still very drivable on the roads . Where as sport+ in the m3 seems like its geared up for a track and not very easy to drive around town. Loved the look of it I just thought its a waste of time having that power if you can't use it 90% of the time .

The rs5 is an amazing car, it has practically every optional extra apart from ceramics. The list price was £85k , crazy!

My only complaint is the noise , I'm going to awesome gti next month to get a miltek fitted to solve that. I said I wouldn't map this one but I probably will
Mrc have got some decent results from a stage 1 tune

Reactions: Riko0073
^^ you will never sort the noise. I had a B9 RS4 modded by PCM and with Cete valve controller. Better but still not ideal.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

The millteks I've heard sound much better than the standard system.

What do pcm do, Modify the standard exhaust?

The millteks I've heard sound much better than the standard system.

What do pcm do, Modify the standard exhaust?
Yes cuts up / out all the baffles in there.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

So a couple of months a go I got a really strong offer for my stage 1 fl rs3 saloon from dream car giveaways, I thought about it for about a week and decided to except.

I've got a golf R Estate for a work car so I thought I would save abit of money and stick with that for a little bit.

Well that lasted about 3 weeks , I found myself looking on auto trader alot and last week I put a deposit down on a f80 m3 in Mexico blue. I haven't got pics on here but it's exactly the same as the pics below.

Obviously it's a different animal to my RS3, not as quick and much slower of the line. Not to mention the rear wheels lighting up the road! And it generally trying to kill you!

But... its always an itch I've had and with the crazy prices of the new m3 and horrible grill I figured now was the time to scratch it with the f80.

I managed to get a couple of test drives despite covid and loved it. Drove it a couple of days ago in warmish weather and it was great, also drove it a week or so ago in the wet and no doubt its a handful!
But only when your pushing it. Driving normal is felt fine even in the very wet.

Anyone have any experience or had one? Nearly every bad point people make on these cars is the traction or lack of it. It's definitely a more engaging and scary than the rs!

So.... upgrade ? Downgrade?
my mate had a brand new 2015 one for a year and spent a fortune on mostly non engine mods, exhaust, steering wheel (£1000 alone), lowered. He crashed it, guess he put it in a hedge. He said it was engaging but a bit unbalanced/handful in the wet, not my idea of fun as a daily. He bought a new gen1 M2 instead, which he's modded to about 420bhp with tasteful cosmetic mods too, looks and sounds great, louder than my rs3 saloon. He has kept it and doesnt plan on selling. Its still a handful in the wet but more balanced as smaller. Think hes getting a yaris gr too, im thinking of also getting a yaris gr too (addition to current cars lol).