Facelift Upgrade basic MIB2 to navigation and CarPlay

Amused

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am thinking of replacing my PFL
2015 A3 Sportback 1.6 TDI for a FL 2017 A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI.

The FL car comes with a standard MIB2 radio, no navigation and no smartphone interface (CarPlay). The head unit comes with a single SD card slot. I am not even sure whether the screen is a 5.8” or 7”, but I think all FL A3’s come with a 7” screen. Please correct if I’m wrong.

So instead of going for an aftermarket CarPlay interface, I believe I would be better off by upgrading the head unit.

Did anyone do this and is it a single plug and play (apart from replacing the Aux input with a USB and Aux input for the purpose of enabling smartphone interface).

Which components should I get and what costs should I expect here? Any coding involved?

Many thanks

Hi guys,

I am thinking of replacing my PFL
2015 A3 Sportback 1.6 TDI for a FL 2017 A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI.

The FL car comes with a standard MIB2 radio, no navigation and no smartphone interface (CarPlay). The head unit comes with a single SD card slot. I am not even sure whether the screen is a 5.8” or 7”, but I think all FL A3’s come with a 7” screen. Please correct if I’m wrong.

So instead of going for an aftermarket CarPlay interface, I believe I would be better off by upgrading the head unit.

Did anyone do this and is it a single plug and play (apart from replacing the Aux input with a USB and Aux input for the purpose of enabling smartphone interface).

Which components should I get and what costs should I expect here? Any coding involved?

Many thanks
All FL UK vehicles come with MIB2 and 7” scenes.

You would need to replace your MIB2 standard with an Audi Smartphone compatible one. Controls and screen can remain. You would need to retrofit USB ports if you don’t already have them.

Replacing the unit is far from plug and play, very very very far from it lol you would need to source a pre-activated unit, eBay / used units will not work. This unit would then need coding and adapting to your vehicle.

If you are interested in changing the MIB2 I can assist :)

All FL UK vehicles come with MIB2 and 7” scenes.

You would need to replace your MIB2 standard with an Audi Smartphone compatible one. Controls and screen can remain. You would need to retrofit USB ports if you don’t already have them.

Replacing the unit is far from plug and play, very very very far from it lol you would need to source a pre-activated unit, eBay / used units will not work. This unit would then need coding and adapting to your vehicle.

If you are interested in changing the MIB2 I can assist :)

@DJAlix, it’s not a UK car unfortunately. Therefore it’s lower in specs. I sent you a pm

@DJAlix, I know you are extremely busy, just wanted to check whether you are reading your private messages ;)

As and when I get time I am.

Could you please check the pm I sent you (along with the VIN number), I wonder whether you can source the parts and remotely code what needs to be coded (if possible). Thanks!

Could you please check the pm I sent you (along with the VIN number), I wonder whether you can source the parts and remotely code what needs to be coded (if possible). Thanks!
I will, but it will be tomorrow during office hours.