Upgrade advice for 2.0FsiT A3

Grandmaster Cecil

Reaction score
Howdy guys

I’m looking for some advice in upgrading my 06 a3 Quattro. I’m not looking at making it the fastest car on the streets but I’d like to hit around 200-220Kw at the wheels. This is a list of the incipient and completed upgrades:
3 inch down pipe with high flow cat
2.75 inch Milltek cat back (fitted to car when bought)
Boost piping inc turbo muffler delete
OEM s3 fmic
KN air intake

I’ll get the car Dyno tuned after everything is on for obvious reasons. I’m getting a bit concerned about the injectors and will probably swap them out for the OEM s3 ones and probably the same for the high pressure fuel pump.
In your experience and opinions, do you think this hardware would be enough to safely run up to 220kw?

I understand that I’ll probably need to go for a clutch upgrade as well but that can be a post tune task.
I also know some people will have the urge to say should’ve bought an s3... if I did that then I wouldn’t have the fun I’m having upgrading and also saved ~ >$5000

you should be ok to hit that power with the parts you have listed. You won't need injectors unless you change the turbo.
Stg 1 - Intake, turbo back exhaust, tune - This will get you the power you're after
Stg 2 - HPFP, intercooler (you'll need a clutch for this) re-tune

After that it's turbo, injectors, LPFP and a lot of other little bits

Hope that helps

220kw is roughly 300bhp - that’s a lot of power at the wheels.

Your hpfp is the same as the S3 so keep that as it is unless you’re going to Stg2+. Injectors, I’m not sure if there is much different to the S3 injectors. The S3 intercooler, make sure you get an 06-09 model year IC as they are all alloy - the later version (which is fine for an A3, MK5 Golf upgrade) had plastic end caps so not quite as efficient.

Intake - flag the K&N - if you can get a CTS intake (easily accessible in aussie) or even a Revo if you don’t mind spending more, you’d be future proofed what ever way you go.

You clutch may be ok - it’s torque that kills the clutch not BHP but don’t expect it to last long.

Also, the boost piping is not worth changing and the muffler delete is not worth it either! If you fit an improved intercooler use the piping that comes with that.
As a side note, I would renew the green O ring where the intercooler pipe locks onto the turbo outlet pipe.

Thanks for the advice guys! I thought the muffler delete would’ve been fairly restrictive. So I got a intercooler off a wrecked 07 s3 (no front end damage) hence my doing the boost piping. For less than $100 it’ll give me piece of mind.
Thanks for the tip on the green o ring, I’ll have to look into it.
I’ll also have a look at the cts and revo intakes thanks Sam. Might just go on with stock injectors and max them out if I’m hitting close to ideal power.

I know it’s a lot of power for an a3 but these golf r guys are giving me motivation!

Thanks for the advice guys! I thought the muffler delete would’ve been fairly restrictive. So I got a intercooler off a wrecked 07 s3 (no front end damage) hence my doing the boost piping. For less than $100 it’ll give me piece of mind.
Thanks for the tip on the green o ring, I’ll have to look into it.
I’ll also have a look at the cts and revo intakes thanks Sam. Might just go on with stock injectors and max them out if I’m hitting close to ideal power.

I know it’s a lot of power for an a3 but these golf r guys are giving me motivation!

I changed all of my intercooler pipes for CTS (along with their intercooler) and did the muffler delete. I can't prove if it helped or not because I went from standard to everything changed. You'll be fine on stock injectors until you change the turbo

Reactions: Grandmaster Cecil
I changed all of my intercooler pipes for CTS (along with their intercooler) and did the muffler delete. I can't prove if it helped or not because I went from standard to everything changed. You'll be fine on stock injectors until you change the turbo
What numbers did you get with the stock turbo? I’m on the fence about going for a turbo upgrade. The cost factor plus the internals will need to be upgraded I’d imagine.

Stg 1 was 264bhp I believe, then stg 2 I dyno'd at 284 and 321 tq. I have a K04 to go on, I need to get some more little bits to fit it and then re-map. The internals on these will be ok-ish to around the 400hp mark.

Impressive! Makes me feel optimistic that that power is attainable. Thinking more about it, I’ll fit everything including the HPFP - and get a setup where I can run multiple tunes so I can get on e85 to see what the hype is about. I know it’s not sustainable but I just want a small taste