Updating to a DAB stereo....any ideas which?...2009 A3

codrock

Reaction score
I 'm wanting to update my stereo on my Audi A3 2009 to a DAB stereo anyone can advise which area a good buy and which not to go for please.

Thanks in advance for any help and replys.

My advice would be to post this in the correct A3 section of this forum, I tried asking a question about upgrading to DAB on an B8 S4 here and did not get much in the way of answers.

By the way, you need to work out which system is in your car and if it is a "low spec" system, like mine was/is, then maybe the easy way is to buy a used DAB version of your current setup, that is what I did, it will probably need Component Protection removed by a proper VW Group Indy or an Audi dealership which is okay as long as it was not stolen. Then you will need to source, again maybe used DAB aerial amplifier and a new Fakra/SMB Female to Female lead. I've completed my "upgrade" and everything works as expected.

Unfortunately the 2009 A3 doesn't have luxury of a dab compatible upgrade OEM radio. So it's add on only or replace with 3rd party.

MediaDAB was a reasonably well integrated solution but requires a dab antenaa. Again something the A3 does not have a genuine place for so a 3rd party antenna is required.

If you have an AMI with usb in the glovebox you could look at the Dension dab u and an antenna.

Or a standalone dab receiver fed into an aux input. I ran like this for a long time with a sonichi S1000 and reception was good.

Out of curiosity what’s the big deal with DAB? Any integration usually is upwards of £150 and aren’t you better off just steaming Internet radio? Unlimited data plans are affordable enough these days, no?

Just as an example on iPlayer radio you’ll get 320 Kbps AAC vs 128 Kbps on DAB. The story is more or less same for other stations, you’ll almost certainly have better audio on internet streams over DAB.

Am I missing something?

You are quite right. Streaming is an option but can be very patchy. For example where I drive everyday past the airport there is virtually no signal for data.

Dab would give a more reliable connection due to its ability to travel further than a mobile signal