Update on my Tdi

Layerz

Reaction score
Right guys, as you know I have had some trouble with my car from the injector coming unseated properly to the head gasket just failing.

I actually went looking for something new for 8-10k and in the end decided to restore my car as what is out there on the new/2 year old market was apauling and I thought that there was no point in taking a step back

It is in the garage and should have it back weds/thurs as they start on it monday.

Just a quick heads up as I had this problem for ages and loads of different suggestions came up and the head gasket was a very long shot of what it could be.
Basically I had a really slow coolant leak and had been working through replacing pipes, new header tank, new cap. And next up was bungs and the water exhange valve at the back of the engine to try and see if it solved it.

However the problem was there for a year and about 20k miles before it went and became obvious it was head gasket, it must of been a pinhole leak or something before as there were no tell tale signs at all.

I am posting this incase anyone else gets a similar issue and if this can help you avoid the gasket going by getting it skimmed in advance then it has sorta been worth it as mine needed doing anyway it now seems.

Whilst in they are gona reseat the valves, getting the brake fluid flushed and poss a gear box oil change although chris my mechanic said he will test the brakes to see if they need flushing, and the oil may be a life long on the gearbox.

The bill for the headgasket is gona be around 500ish including a service, as long as the head is not cracked.

Currently I am using a 1.9 straight diesel megane M reg on loan from my parents!
But hopefully the A4 will be back on the road within a week and I will keep you guys updated, but it will be running the best it has ever done in my ownership the last owner it appears left some bits of maintenance low at some point or did half ***** jobs leaving me to discover them.

Also many thanks to everyone on here who has helped and advised me up till now.

OK just got it back with a total bill fo 460 pounds.

Only concerning thigns is that the glow plug light is flashing on and the car seems a bit down on power, my guess is a bad plug and I need to change it is all.

But the car is back and I was very pleased with the bill.

Check that they have not been silly and left one unplugged or somthing as they could have been removed when the head was off.

Good to hears its back though and not a bad price me thinks :)

Nah they are a ****** good garage, they had the car cleaned also.
That price also included some new fuel hoses and an oil change.

I need new front tyres tomorrow and to bleed the brakes but been out in the car earlier and I forgot how easy it is to drive.

I think I am gona keep improving the car with a nice new set of wheels if I can find some tonight, but new suspension and perhaps new stereo/speakers.

OK just got fronts done with some new BF goodride profilers 195/65/15 V and a 4 wheel laser alignment. Bill of 165

Next up is sorting out the glow plug light as brake lights are coming on, I may just replace the plugs out of course.