Unresponsive door handle?

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi.
This morning my passengers exterior door handle didnt want to work.
Im guessing its due to the low temperatures, as the interior handle still worked fine.

The handle flet like it had no resistance against it, just wondering if this is a common fault when the weather starts freezing?
Is there anything i can grease/ lubricate to prevent it in the future?.

Regards

(If anyone has access to an exploded diagram of how the rods/ handles lock attaches to the latch, this would be very very handy)

I had the same thing last week and a good spray with WD40 up and around the lock unit with the straw on the can whilst working the handle has solved it for now.

my passenger door lock doesnt seem to pop open fully, the pin struggles to reach its maximum erection from the door card

a3tdi2001 - is that around the mechanism with the doorcard off?. or simply in the latch area?.

mattyboy199 - have you tried it with the pin unscrewed to see if thats catching?

Just up and around the inside of the latch from the outside. Might take the doorcard off in the warmer weather if it reoccurs but it's been fine for now.

Last edited:
i have alloy door pins fixed with lock tight so need to investigate, but its been fine for years up until now.

I had to yank my door open this morning because of the ice...

Then I got in, shut it and it was like the handle was still held open as it fell away from me instantly! Had to start my drive to Plymouth HOLDING my drivers door!

Opened and tried shutting and by Yelverton it shut, I spray lubed both door catchs and used a screwdriver to operate the latch open and shut a few times whilst spraying... JOB JOBBED, Now perfect

Scrap that Callum... got in this morning, shut the door and it only caught the first catch, tried again as it seemed I didn't shut it properly... Again first catch, now it WILL NOT close :(

WTF is wrong with Audi, surely closing a DOOR is quite standard :(

lol.
sounds like yours could be a faulty latch CB, i had this soon after i bought my car - it would only secure on the first catch unless i slammed the door.

I have changed my spray lube to silicone based oil and drenched it...

Working better than before now :) also fixed my rear washer which came apart from behind the airbox and had a blocked nozzle... ahhhh S3 ownership lol