Unlevel Full/High Beam

Haribo81

Reaction score
hi folks. New member and first post. Have searched the forum for this but haven't found any answer.

I've just bought an 09 A4 and love it......one irritating as hell problem though......the headlamps.

They're stock halogens and the dipped beam is fine, low and level as it should be. The problem is the full beam. The passenger side beam is too high and pointing over to the left too much. The right hand side beam is way, way too low. I mean 10-15 ft in front on the ground.

There's no damage to the lamps and they're sitting in their respective areas fine.
Is there Any way to adjust just the High Beams?

Any info massively appreciated.

I don't think so I'm afraid. Have you checked the bulb isn't upside down?
If the bulb is pointing up, it'll point down on the floor.

Reactions: Meemo
Yup, check if it is the correct way.. i put the ones in my polo upside down and the MOT guys had a good giggle at me for it.. doh.. wondered why they sucked so much for new bulbs

I would check the bulbs are fitted correctly. The headlights are easily removed if you consult the handbook it describes how to remove them. There is a tool in the boot to undo the securing screws.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Rang 3 different dealerships today and explained the case with them. All 3 'service technicians' straight away said "ye, the lenses just need to be realigned". Assuming they meant the dipped beam I again verified and according to them the full beam can be aligned independently of the dipped......only €35 charge too which was a nice surprise.

Never did know that the high beam was adjustable like this

Reactions: Meemo
So you didn't take any advise just to check the bulb?

The above post was written after the 'advise' was given and yes, of course I checked the bulbs. They're seated fine and being H7'a they're in the correct slots.

I would take the headlights out and look at the available adjusters.

My car is an SE with the halogen headlights and I have had those headlights apart to upgrade the dipped beam to a projector and I have not seen any kind of seperate adjustment for the main beam reflector. I have had a look on Elsawin as well and the headlight alignment contains no mention of seperate main beam adjusters. I would like to know where they are.

I've no clue but any dealer I've spoken to is adamant that it's 'normal' thing.
Booked in for next Friday.
Getting the MMI updated and an Audi Health Check (whatever that is) included in the price.......will be very interested to see what/how the do it

I have factory fitted xenon but from what I remember about the halogens there is an adjuster for the complete headlight unit on the top mount on slam panel plus an allen key adjuster on the unit. Not sure if the latter only adjusts the dip. If so, by playing with both you can set the main and dip up to point where you like.

Glad I found this post. I have the same problem. Dipped beams are fine however right Hight Beam is pointing straight down. I have been trying to find out how it can be adjusted but can't find any info. There is 2 white screws but they will adjust the dipped beam I guess.

Please let us know how they have done it!

I know it sounds silly but is the bulb fitted correctly ? As if it's not fully home that would be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk