Uninsured car and the police don't care

sidibear

Going with the flow.
Staff member
Reaction score
A car has been parked outside my house for two weeks. (BT03 VOC) Had a quick look on Askmid and its not insured, called 101 and told them about it, few days later called them again. Two Pcso's were visiting my neighbour earlier and I asked them about it. As its showing tax and mot they can't tow it they said. Its not insured said I, doesn't matter said them, unless the driver is there and attempting to drive it no offence has been caused.
Looked on the MIB website and it says about Continuous Insurance Enforcement which was bought in in June 2011, which basically says unless a vehicle is declared SORN it has to be taxed, used or parked on a road or driveway, it doesn't matter, if you own it and its not SORN it has to be insured.
http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+Database/en/Continuous+Insurance+Enforcement/default.htm

Contacted the police with this information and received this in response.
"I have done some digging and it is infact registered to a b33 postcode. Unfortunately as it is legally parked (ie not causing an obstruction) we can not lift it for no insurance. The MIB website states that they inform the registered keeper to insure it otherwise they will incur fines therefore at the moment that is all we can do. Lets hope the person comes back for it."

Now bearing in mind I live in B8, the registered owner lives 3 miles away.
B8 has the UK's highest number of uninsured drivers, and with the police attitude I can see why.

So legally, according to the Birmingham police, you can have a vehicle parked on the road with no insurance and then when you want to drive it, get it temporarily insured. Could save myself a fortune ! lol

Typical mate, im sure some of the B8 'massif' will get rid of it though if asked nicely ;)

Call up a private clamping company and get them to lift it the bill gets sent to the owner job done used to have the same problem with hood rats parking there dodgy cars round the back of my house and just going round there to rev the s**t out of it at 1 in the morning soon sorted that problem out.

At around 7.30am this morning the owner and his mate turned up, swapped the plates and drove off, in full view of my dashcam, footage of which has now been past to WMP, probably for them to ignore.

Reactions: s3_trev
At around 7.30am this morning the owner and his mate turned up, swapped the plates and drove off, in full view of my dashcam, footage of which has now been past to WMP, probably for them to ignore.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit but I guarantee if you was in the wrong they would be all over your ***.

I don't get it, I seriously don't. They say they are cracking down on uninsured drivers, you give them 100% evidence and they don't do anything with it.

Makes my blood boil as a young driver I have to pay through the nose for insurance and then you get some one who's premium is next to nothing and they still don't pay it.:mad:

Probably gone to fill it with fuel

The police are all too busy pulling over & fining people with modified cars, you know the ones who look after their cars and whom actually pay for insurance:jester:

Police are utterly useless, I did work on an armed coppers house from the Birmingham force and he said that Solihull police officers where a bunch of utter twunks so imagine how bad they are lol! I once got stopped in the street on the way to the pub, said there had been a mugging with a knife, in the dark with it peeing down with rain we got positively I.D'd we had nothing to suggest we'd been out mugging, I didn't look like a mugger but my mate was sporting the coolest white track suite you have ever seen :keule:anyway we got locked up for the night, then had to attend a line up a week or two later, no apology or anything just an oh well **** happens, to be fair to a couple of coppers on the meat wagon they did try and help us out as could clearly see it wasn't us but nothing they could do was helping.

Writing that I suppose it is a tough call as you'd like to think they are doing everything they can to catch them but we was walking down the main road of the town, I'd just got out the shower before leaving the house and my hair was still gelled considering it was peeing down and I didn't have a hood, plus I was supposed to be about 5'10" by the victims description but I'm in fact 6'6" anyway that was a lovenly night spoiled for no apparent reason, and I had to deal with all the Friday night mongs in the cells all night too.

I'd hope the police don't show them the dash cam footage cause if they work put it's your dash cam you might find your car getting vandalised since they clearly don't care about breaking the law

I'd miss out the 'middle' men and speak to the traffic unit. PCSO's know little about traffic stuff, who did you speak to on the phone, a civilian employee by chance ? Changing the plates, chuffin hell, that's gold dust info surely !
Re uninsured, difficult to lift, unlikely but could be a trader, lifting it could present the cops with a bill to pay so it wont get authorised, the laws an *** personally !!