1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Unfixing Emission Recall

SL11CKK Mar 27, 2017

1. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Registered User

Anybody know of anyone who can flash ecu back to how it was before the emission recall.

Obviously Audi won't undo it therefore I wont even bother with asking them.

I've dropped an email to Darkside and they want the same money for remapping it.

To be honest I don't want to remap it as I'm more than happy with the power I have on stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Chris90

Chris90 Active Member VCDS Map User

Surely someone could spare a few minutes for flashing a stock map on. not like they loosing anything. Just drop em £20 for their time.

4. s114hed

s114hed Registered User

MRC usually keep the map on file and only charge the time to put it back on. I'm sure dark side would do the same?

5. A4A4

A4A4 Owner of a Shiny Daytona

What the reason for this?

6. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Registered User

In my case I feel it seems more juicy, but whats annoying me more is that its doing more and more dpf regens.

Also i'm noticing flat spots, however that could be just me

7. NyB8

NyB8 Registered User

I've been hesitant about getting the fix done after seeing stories of people having EGR issues. It makes me wonder how "tried and tested" emissions fix really is?

8. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Registered User

I can only comment on mine which is the 177bhp Manual and one thing Im happy is not happening on mine is the pinking a lot of other marques are experiencing after the recall.

9. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

Remap to Stage 1 , you'll never look back .

10. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Registered User

I was thinking about that, but I sort of like having my DPF in place and don't want to wear it out quicker.

I've read that if I get rid of the DPF the smell coming from the exhaust becomes very strong.

11. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

You can keep dpf operational if you wish , definitely get the egr out .

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. JRock247

JRock247 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I am also looking to have my EGR deleted/blanked but don't want to get rid of my DPF.

Found this statement on DarksideDevlopments site: ''The EGR Valve should NOT be removed on vehicles that still have the DPF Filter in place, doing so may block the DPF as the EGR Valve operation is a prerequisite for DPF Regeneration''

So would you advise if deleting EGR, you also remove the DPF? Anyone still have there DPF but removed EGR?

14. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Registered User

I think your are right when it comes to these engines. Usually on other engines codes you can do what is suggested and delete the EGR.

So I think I will still be on the lookout for the stock map before the Emission recall.

So far everyone I have contacted says I should remap and also they do not have any stock maps for my ecu on their database.

But I really don't want to go the remap route.

15. feva

feva Registered User

On a similar topic, the wife's a3 suffered an egr failure. So for the same price as replacement egr unit. I had egr blanked (coded out) and dpf gutted (but still in place for MOT) standard map put on, now gets upto 10mpg extra and drives perfect. Don't get confused thinking all remaps are for making your car a rocket.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

SL11CKK likes this.
  16. Chris90

Still dont think that a map will give you MPG. MPG is calculated by fuel quantity injected and air flow across the MAF. Unless you can reduce them, or lean your fuel fixture out...you arent going to get any more MPG. Unless the timing maps are well out and not efficient at all.
    Chances are, someone added a couple of % to the consumption values to make it show more.

17. JG51 AUD

JG51 AUD Registered User

Have you tried the guys at Superchips for a stock map, just a thought. :sos:

JG

18. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Registered User

Ive dropped an email to them, but I doubt they will be able to help. Im surprised nobody seems to be able to get stock map for it.

I've sort of sourced the actual map file, but to be honest have no idea on how to get it uploaded nor can I say if it is the pre-emission file.

19. JG51 AUD

JG51 AUD Registered User

They're worth a try mate, think it may be a case of nobody wants to give you the stock map, and would rather sell you a remap.

Another possibility maybe Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments.

I'm so glad I decided not to put my A5 in for the emission recall.

Good Luck in your quest to get this sorted, and keep us updated.

JG

20. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Registered User

So for a long overdue update!

I was getting at nowhere, went as far as buying another ecu however the issue became that its not as easy to clone the immobiliser data from my ecu to the doner ecu which doesnt have the emission update. Apparently more easier to do this on older ecus such as the EDC16 compared to mines which is EDC17.

I definitely was not going to entertain the idea of disabling the immobiliser to get around that as it then becomes a bodge job.

The other option is to use the software the dealer uses to flash back to the original which is what few people have done. So looking now into that option.

21. Mario

Mario Registered User

Keep us informed, would be interesting to see how you get on. Other than going to a dealer, how do you get your hands on the "dealer software" to flash it back?

22. bobby singh

bobby singh BSR Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

If you want older software put on the ecu drop me a pm.
    Together with vcds advance id page screen shot if you have it.
    I normally have all revisions of vag software

Mario likes this.
  23. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Registered User

FINAL UPDATE:

I've finally reverted the sucker back to the firmware/software it was previous to the emission recall. This is confirmed as VCDS reports "2839" and whilst the emission firmware was in place it was reporting "9977"

Initially was booked in with Alex from VAG Car Coding who I found through Instagram and was pleasantly surprised he is a ASN site sponsor. He has access to all the flash files via VW/Audi and more importantly has the genuine tools and subscription and this attracted me to his service. He also knew exactly what I wanted to do.

However a close friend of mine responded back to me last minute after 2 weeks of waiting saying he knows how to revert back, but was truthful in saying he doesn't have genuine tool however has flashed plenty ecus and never once had an issue especially considering he was flashing stock firmware back in.

Fast forward the flash literally took less than a minute which normally takes 8-10 minutes. That in mind I was weary if the car would start however it did after I cycled ignition.

So to all those who want to undo/revert the emission recall definitely give Alex from VAG Car Coding a shout, he's based in North London.

Although I didn't go to him for the task, I will definitely be going to him to do other things.

A lot of tuners say to get it remapped, it wont take the issue at hand away because there are many parameters/setting within the flash file which VW/Audi changed. Obvious ones being DPF and EGR and how often they kick in.

Smaller things like the DIS telling you to change gears also been changed so you are "nagged" to jump to the highest gear.

Just hope the emission update has not done damage which may now be noticed now thats its back to "stock".

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  24. Chris90

Maybe they remapped the emissions fixed file and left the EGR/DPF regen cycle in?

25. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Registered User

This is exactly what was happening to mine and I think the best way to go about it is put it back to the pre-emission software and then get it mapped again.

The reason I put it back to pre-emission software was because it was doing dpf regen more often and what was more frustrating was that I was hearing the fan kick in when i parked up after a long journey.

After putting it to standard I haven't heard the fan kicking in and also my mpg has gone back to normal so now I am seeing more of 49 - 53 mpg on the DIS compared to seeing 37 - 42 mpg on the DIS with the emission update.

Performance wise I feel that the lower end torque on 3rd gear is back so it doesn't feel like Im about to stall.

26. bobby singh

Regen cycle is mappable too

27. JLT

JLT Registered User

Hi Bobby,

Do you mean this can be altered to how frequent the regen cycles happen? How can this be done? I still have no update from Audi in regards to this. Not holding my breath either. Cheers.

28. bobby singh

Yes but its done in tuning - you should log exhaust back pressure to engage how much back pressure you have.

29. Marky007

Marky007 A4 Sline

Anywhere to do this in the north east ?

DickoB8 likes this.
  30. phil g

phil g Registered User

anywhere in the northwest does it ?

Marky007 likes this.
  31. wilco184

wilco184 Registered User

Would also be interested if there is any option for this to be done in the North West.

Thanks,

Matt.

32. 666markyboy

666markyboy Registered User

How often do people see their cars regen and how do you know ?? I've had mine 3 years now and the only time ive seen the regen light on the dash is when I forced it via VCDS .. I do mainly only do motrorway journeys though which im guessing makes a difference, still find it odd ive never seen it do it though

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. feva

feva Registered User

Mine doesn't show anything when it's doing a cycle. Only know it is by the revs or when I'm using VAGDPF app.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

35. Marky007

Marky007 A4 Sline

Every 250-300 miles in mine