1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpected traction control intervention

Dippy Jul 18, 2018

1. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

I have sometimes seen the ESC light flash when I accelerate hard but the intervention has been brief. However last night the intervention was longer and unexpected. I accelerated from the lights, briskly but not particularly hard, and then was surprised at a loss of power for perhaps a second. I noticed the ESC light flashing. I think I may have lifted, and the light went off and power was back. This was in a straight line and off course the road was very dry. The rest of the way home I gave it a few blasts and all seemed fine again. I'll do a VCDS scan but in the meantime has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team V8 Audi S5 S tronic

Tyres contaminated ? or the road for that matter ? or tyres wearing a bit ?

4. Dippy

Well my tyres are down to 3-4mm and I have felt that these Pirellis are losing grip the more they wear. Maybe the road was a bit dusty too.
    There were no DTCs in my VCDS scan and I also looked into the gearbox and AWD modules to see if there were any interesting counters which might have flagged something, but I couldn't find anything.

5. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team V8 Audi S5 S tronic

6. arad85

arad85 Well-Known Member Team V6 Audi S5 Black Edition

Had that twice recently. My PS4S are around 4.5mm I think. Car didn't seem to squirm when it happened. Not scanned with VCDS though.

7. Dippy

Thanks @arad85 - that sounds the same - no squriming - totally unexpected. Car seems OK now so maybe its just a quirk of the traction system that we have to accept?

8. arad85

For reference, 6mm rear, 5mm front. I'm quite impressed with these PS4S's, I think I've put 9k on them so far. My old A3 quattro would go through a complete set of ContiSportContact 3's in 15k miles - and that was only 180hp...

9. Dippy

I really should say **** it and get a set of PS4S's but I am loathe to actually change my tyres whilst they still have tread. Maybe when the fronts reach 3mm I will.

10. arad85

I wondered if it could be a safety system activating due to a limit having been reached somewhere, but would have expected a code to be stored. I've lifted both times it has happened to me (only in the past month or two and I've been tuned for > 1 year) and wondered if it was anything to do with the weather. The first time it happened was about 9:30am so not too warm yet, but the other time was after 4pm from memory).

I feel better that someone else is seeing the same - particularly with a different tune!

11. Dippy

No, I saw the "traction control" yellow symbol flash, so it was just a regular activation rather than any other safety feature. We are having an exceptionally dry period so maybe the roads are dusty. Then maybe with a bit of breeze the dust collects in patches and I hit one with my ageing tyres which have lost most of their grip?