Uneven rear tyre wear

Andygib

Reaction score
As title says, I owned my a3 for 18 months now and the tyres have been fine, went for an mot and passed but had a notice about the rear drivers side tyre worn had a look and it's about an inch on the inside, the outside is like new ??? Went to get tracking checked and they said the shock on that side is knackered, but if it was it would have failed the mot, I do have the rotten bump stop issue could it be this ??? Any ideas

Cheers andy

Last edited:
I think it's normal to get a bit more wear on the inside on the A3. I noticed it just as I was about to get new wheels.

Could get the car in for 4 wheels alignment and camber done ? I got my s3 done after new tyres and it was out by a bit, think its £80 but well worth the money

I had this on nearly new S3 (<20k miles). Had Beissbarth 4 wheel alignment and rear wheels were out by 20 minutes on both side. It's too coincidental they were both out due to being knocked, since having them changed the tyres are wearing more evenly.

Dealer did checks but did not pick it up so I had to go to an independent (again).

Last edited:
Both my rear tyres were like this, when I bought it I was chuffed because the outside of all the tyres looked new (rookie mistake)...but my mechanic uncle knew to look for the inside rears being bald straight away, he says he see's it all he time :/

Thanks for the replies looks like 4 wheel tracing and camber checked
Cheers Andy

If I was to change the rear shocks do you get new bump stops with them or would I have to buy them separately
Cheers Andy