Underwhelmed with Bluefin

terrymcg

Reaction score
I took delivery of a Bluefin today for my S3.

10 out of 10 for ease of use by the way!

I then went for a drive a to be honest I dont really notice a huge difference! Was I maybe expecting too much? I have read of other people saying it completely transforms the car! It has made the DV valve a bit louder and the turbo makes a more pronounced noise in the car.

If it makes a difference, I have only done about 10miles since installing it, will it get any better as the ECU adjusts??Heres hoping!

Are you sure you installed it properly ?

You say you received it today? I thought you had to upload your existing software and they then took a few days to create a new one for you to download?

Staz has it and he says it rocks

Been said before on here, iirc Staz had some `custom` mapping done to put it right?

I have REVO and it makes a BIG, very noticable difference.

Others have GIAC and other maps and said the same.

N8 has good experience with Shark maps, (surprised he hasnt said yet:eyebrows:)

If you are not happy send it back and put your money elsewhere.

Good luck

Paul

A few mates got there 2.0tfsi's tuned by fr&rtuning, they do the st3 system similar to bluefin but obviously maps will be different. Check them out!

ive had an evolve map and the difference is electric!! car is smoother, with a flatter torque curve and now u properly get pushed back into your seat when u hit the loud pedal!
even my old man who didnt know the car had been mapped noticed the difference! id get your map changed for a different one asap!

ive had an evolve map and the difference is electric!! car is smoother, with a flatter torque curve and now u properly get pushed back into your seat when u hit the loud pedal!
even my old man who didnt know the car had been mapped noticed the difference! id get your map changed for a different one asap!

:sly:

haha
its true tho, its amazing what a difference a decent map makes to the car!
was fun trying to explain to the old man what i had done... bless him!

Did you go to Glasgow for it or was it posted? There arent as many option up here in Scotland for tuners compared to England.

Superchips Bluefin maps are meant to be less aggressive then maps from all the other main tuners...and they all offer more adjustability, with the Revo Select +, GIAC flashloader etc etc

Yeh i was told when i had the choise of blue fin or revo that the revo was more aggressive thats why i went for it.

Give your ECU some time to learn again - about 100 miles or so. I have a Bluefin on my 2009 S3 and it was a little underwhelming at first but came alive after 100 miles...

I went out in a Shark mapped S3. 320bhp & 330ft-lb, absolutley fantastic! Give me a pm if you want regarding it.

good results.. bit like mine!

my mate knows the guy who runs evolve i think.. all ive heard is goodness about them...

haha
its true tho, its amazing what a difference a decent map makes to the car!
was fun trying to explain to the old man what i had done... bless him!

haha! love them convos! my dad always clocks things.. whenever he drives it.. he comes in and says whats changed again lol!!

If im honest Terry.. i had a cooper s and nobody liked the Bluefin for them either!!

my mate knows the guy who runs evolve i think.. all ive heard is goodness about them...

haha! love them convos! my dad always clocks things.. whenever he drives it.. he comes in and says whats changed again lol!!

yea thats how i got introduced to evolve, even tho they seem to be more into the BMW market they still do a fair number of other makes and the work on mine is staggering! ill deff go back there for more work in the future

haha yep kust like mine, when the evoms went in he clocked that pretty sharpish! tho he hasnt noticed the milltek yet which in surprised at... was prob too busy keeping his right foot planted

Give your ECU some time to learn again - about 100 miles or so. I have a Bluefin on my 2009 S3 and it was a little underwhelming at first but came alive after 100 miles...

Well guys, I would have never believed it but went out today and the Bluefin has just come alive! Its outstanding!

Just don't understand why it never came on straight away, but hey ho!

As above, you need to do a good bunch of miles, sometimes as many as 200, before a remap fully takes a hold.

Just a quick follow up guys,

as said above, in the end I did get a distinct increase in performance which is great. However my MPG when driving normally has gotten notably worse. On a trip I make every day just driving easy with no Bluefin I return around 34mpg, now the same trip with the Bluefin I can only get 25-26mpg at the best, so as you can imagine I am going through a shed load of more fuel, which to me for the performance increase aint worth it!

I have mailed superchips about this on Friday afternoon, so await their response. I am hoping for a refund even although its outside the 7 days as the above decrease in MPG is a joke, when they actually market as saving you money or making it no worse.

Cheers.

Just a quick follow up guys,

as said above, in the end I did get a distinct increase in performance which is great. However my MPG when driving normally has gotten notably worse. On a trip I make every day just driving easy with no Bluefin I return around 34mpg, now the same trip with the Bluefin I can only get 25-26mpg at the best, so as you can imagine I am going through a shed load of more fuel, which to me for the performance increase aint worth it!

I have mailed superchips about this on Friday afternoon, so await their response. I am hoping for a refund even although its outside the 7 days as the above decrease in MPG is a joke, when they actually market as saving you money or making it no worse.

Cheers.

I'm surprised that your MPG has got worse, most remaps tend run the fueling lean with normal driving and rich when driving hard which is why the average MPG increases with everyday driving. I have Revo on my S3 and my average has increased quite a bit so yours could indicate a problem somewhere.

I'm surprised that your MPG has got worse, most remaps tend run the fueling lean with normal driving and rich when driving hard which is why the average MPG increases with everyday driving. I have Revo on my S3 and my average has increased quite a bit so yours could indicate a problem somewhere.

ive got the same with my Evolve remap, its smoothed the car out that i can now drive round town in 6th and am getting decent mpg, well better then before, am generally getting an extra 50 miles out the tank... well thats if i behave for a whole tank, but if you do some spirited driving then its does get very thirsty so overall with mixed driving im still getting little more then previous so would agree its odd that your getting significantly less!

My thoughts exaclty very odd, but I have checked and checked again. Even worked it out manually with map on/off and I am 100% correct.

Not impressed really, just hope Superchips will play ball as I am out of the 7 day no quibble refund. Its been just shy of a month I have had it now.

I'm surprised too, I'm on Bluefin and I get better MPG.

i know mine ain't no s3 but my 2.0t quattro's mpg improved by around 5mpg overall after i had installed the bluefin map.
seems strange
you sure your not booting it more?

are you using regular unleaded???????????

i know mine ain't no s3 but my 2.0t quattro's mpg improved by around 5mpg overall after i had installed the bluefin map.
seems strange
you sure your not booting it more?

are you using regular unleaded???????????

No I can live with the mpg when I'm booting it. And I always run v power or Tesco momentum.

It's just really dreadful when driving miss daisy. Even at 70 on the motorway using cruise its only doing 30 where I used to get 34 - 35.

I've had Bluefin on my last two S3's - I was doubting it on the last car but kept the unit for the new S3. Both cars have needed a new clutch - so I guess even though it doesnt feel as aggresive as Revo (which I had on a S3 8L previously) it must be pushing some power to damage the clutch. I've posted before and read lots about the ECU "learning" which drives me mad. The car seems to cut back on power sometimes, after a reload of the bluefin and sometimes a clear of DTC's with Vagcom (even if there isnt any) clears the adaptations and seems to put the car more powerful again.

I am thinking of going to Stage 2 now that I've put an uprated clutch on. I cant help thinking maybe I should switch to Revo again. Only thing with Bluefin is I know it doesnt increment the flash counter - handy for Audi visits. I dont think Revo ever sorted this, although, saying this, once I go for a new exhaust there'd be no going back anyway !

Love the ease of the Bluefin, their Customer Service is fantasic - even by email. Whenever I've had a new map from them its been within hours. Still undecided but I may still go stage 2 with Bluefin.

PS - as for MPG - its never been good, cant say its any better with Bluefin but then again I enjoy booting the car more

I've got Bluefin on my 2.0T quattro and love it. Perfomance is signifgicantly improved with a stack load more torque and consequently mpg is significantly better under normal driving. I haven;t personally tried any other re-maps but I would definitely recommend Bluefin.