Underwhelmed S5 Test Drive - Engine or Gearbox?

Naweednrahman

Reaction score
Hey all, so i've been really looking forward to the S5 Sportback and went to test drive it today.

Aesthetically, it's pretty gorgeous. However, Upon test drive, apart from the sound, I am not fully convinced. Is it the engine or transmission?

I am just wondering if there's anyone here who might be able to remedy my concerns.

Firstly, when at stand-still and putting the foot on the accelerator, does anyone notice quite a bit of lag? I don't find it -that- responsive (tried in dynamic, comfort with sports mode)? However, once the car is running and going through the gears, it is a pleasure.

Although the car is fast on paper, it just doesn't feel quite as immersive if that makes any sense. I have a BMW 220d Step Auto Transmission and it just feels a lot more real - actually I am not sure how much the rear-wheel (bmw) vs quattro (audi) has a part to play in it.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts on this!

I think of these cars as the new "Jag" for the discerning younger gentleman.....its not gonna set your pants on fire....but it will happily cruise fast all day....sounds like its not what you are looking for

I’d agree, it’s more of a fast GT than a sports car. Certainly if you want a bit of theatrics, I’ve pinned my friends to their seats with a Launch Control at the lights and the smiles were definitely there. Once underway and the gearbox in sport it is a very competent beast especially for high speed turns and accelerations, easily kept up with mid-range 911’s on A-Roads. As I’m a child, I also the enjoy low speed noise by putting it in manually and dropping gears early as you decelerate to get the pops and bangs, which turns heads and makes me giggle (but I have the maturity of an 8 years old)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rickparmar, Blessed_Badger and Dunders
I’d agree, it’s more of a fast GT than a sports car. Certainly if you want a bit of theatrics, I’ve pinned my friends to their seats with a Launch Control at the lights and the smiles were definitely there. Once underway and the gearbox in sport it is a very competent beast especially for high speed turns and accelerations, easily kept up with mid-range 911’s on A-Roads. As I’m a child, I also the enjoy low speed noise by putting it in manually and dropping gears early as you decelerate to get the pops and bangs, which turns heads and makes me giggle (but I have the maturity of an 8 years old)

lol reminded me of when Audi gave me a brand new R8 for the day, I pulled up at some lights in Chester with high buildings on both sides of the road!!! Nobody in front and the road was clear :p yes I booted it and the sound boomed off the buildings :yahoo: I had a big stupid grin on my face :D A lot of people turned and looked, probably thinking "Di**head" :D

Reactions: BarryG79 and Joetidman
How much yall get off your s5 when you ordered? Car wow quote gives me 17pct off. I'm hoping the price makes up for the less invigorating experience.

How much yall get off your s5 when you ordered? Car wow quote gives me 17pct off. I'm hoping the price makes up for the less invigorating experience.

That’s decent money off, but why buy the car if you’re not that fussed?

Have to agree. If you not really into it, who carea what the discount is.
I'd be looking at something else.

That’s decent money off, but why buy the car if you’re not that fussed?

Circumstances really. Need something bigger and other alternatives are way out of my budget. I have to compromise somewhere unfortunately.

Why not try a BMW 440i? I’ve just come the other way(ish) - from a BMW 435D M-Sport into an S5 and absolutely love my new Audi. But like others have said, why spend £48k+ on a car you’re already finding faults with?

The BMW is a totally different drive and the gearbox in the 440i does work better than in the S5 IMHO (despite the fact they’re both the ZF 8-Speed!). I test drove one before deciding on the S5 but decided I wanted a change, and 435D to 440i wasn’t enough as it felt like I was sitting in the same car - except for the engine noise!

The interior of the BMW is way behind the Audi and there’s not been a single minute I’ve regretted getting the S5 - but I always loved my previous 2 A5s (both 3.0TDIs) so I knew I’d like the S5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why not try a BMW 440i? I’ve just come the other way(ish) - from a BMW 435D M-Sport into an S5 and absolutely love my new Audi. But like others have said, why spend £48k+ on a car you’re already finding faults with?

The BMW is a totally different drive and the gearbox in the 440i does work better than in the S5 IMHO (despite the fact they’re both the ZF 8-Speed!). I test drove one before deciding on the S5 but decided I wanted a change, and 435D to 440i wasn’t enough as it felt like I was sitting in the same car - except for the engine noise!

The interior of the BMW is way behind the Audi and there’s not been a single minute I’ve regretted getting the S5 - but I always loved my previous 2 A5s (both 3.0TDIs) so I knew I’d like the S5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The dislikes in the S5 I can most likely bury tbh. I would've gone for the 4 gran coupe but the new model comes out in 2019...nothig worse than getting a "new car" then a year or two in you see its new and better version lol. I know it's inevitable but not that soon!

Maybe I should be more positive. I'm still pursuing the s5 since I think I overall its a good package still.

Its a shame Audi engineers can't write software for the Zf gearbox as well as BMW do, the Audi version is far more dim witted but BMW have been using it for far longer i think and have it down to a fine art.

I've had my S5 for nearly a year and was thinking I will struggle to know what to change it for when the lease is up in a year's time.

However, I've just come back to it having been out of the country for 3 weeks driving another car. The laggy gearbox is now irritating the hell out of me - half a second delay (unless knocked into Sport) at junctions can be dangerous and, if you come off full power at 2nd gear speeds speed, the way it continues to accelerate for half a second can be unnerving.

To judge from what the OP says there hasn't been a software update since launch, or does anyone know better?

There must have been a software update in the year it's been out, they usually find all manner of problems that need small tweeks

I find every car has pros and cons. I previously owned a Golf R and if you go on that forum people are saying similar - problems with gearbox, engine, quality etc. Unfortunately there isn't a perfect car and there has to be compromise somewhere. The S5 is most definitely a fast GT cruiser not a fast hothatch. For me the S5's pros outway the cons. For week to week driving and usability I love it. For very short lived gokart thrills and arguably more practically I miss the R, but if I was asked to chose again I would definitely take the S5. It's an incredible car. I do tend to drive sport-manual most of the time and when in eco I pull back to sport for when pulling out at junctions and roundabouts. That deals with the lag most people experience. Apart from that I find it gives a really involving drive. My wife however prefers the Golf R.

There is a software update that was released about 2 weeks ago that makes significant improvements in the shift strategy.

Its such a ba**sache getting anything done by the dealer - long wait for a slot and then they undoubtedly will not do the update while I wait.
I've enquired whether the mobile tech can do the gearbox software upgrade, and the door glass upgrade at the same time. He was 1st class when a coil pack needed changing.