understeer

FamilymanS310

Reaction score
I understand the way to reduce is understeer in an s3 is a uprated rarb, but im just wondering if any tests have been done to see what the real gains are, as opposed to some one whos just fitted one giving their enthusiastic opinion.
This video really highlights what is a major weakness, but if the video was redone with an uprated rarb fitted to the s3, what would be the outcome...assuming the glaringly obvious flaw in the whole test is tyres, i.e do some of the cars have stickier tyres than some of the others. However even if all cars had the same tyres we know the s3 would still be the understeer king, so the question still stands.

David

well I suppose you could maybe look up the 034 Motorsports website and see their recommendations for improving the handling on a S3 which extend beyond just replacing the rear anti-roll bar and there are a few other tuners websites that offer suspension upgrades, but I haven't seen anyone do laps times to prove that their times are faster as opposed to reviews on the improved feel and handling characteristics of suspension mods. I could also suggest looking up reviews on different tires.

All cars will understeer if you go into a corner too fast. That's physics.

Most cars are designed to understeer when pressing on, as most people can handle understeer by simply backing off the throttle. It dilutes the handling, but for 99% of the population it's safer.

If the S3 was designed with oversteer, there would be more S3's stuck in hedges, as less people know what to do when the rear end steps out. Same for any car. However, you buy something like a 911 GT3 knowing oversteer will always happen. But you are buying a car knowing that. That's the cars handling trait.

To get understeer on UK roads, you have to be driving very fast. Too fast for the road. Track driving and road driving are two different animals. An S3 or even an RS3 will always understeer on track. They're designed to do it.

All cars will understeer if you go into a corner too fast. That's physics.

Most cars are designed to understeer when pressing on, as most people can handle understeer by simply backing off the throttle. It dilutes the handling, but for 99% of the population it's safer.

If the S3 was designed with oversteer, there would be more S3's stuck in hedges, as less people know what to do when the rear end steps out. Same for any car. However, you buy something like a 911 GT3 knowing oversteer will always happen. But you are buying a car knowing that. That's the cars handling trait.

To get understeer on UK roads, you have to be driving very fast. Too fast for the road. Track driving and road driving are two different animals. An S3 or even an RS3 will always understeer on track. They're designed to do it.

There is a difference between a more neutral handing car and one that predominantly understeers, you then can add other variables with the ESC which can be reduced or switched off in terms of being able to vary the handling characteristics. An S3 won't suddenly turn into a drift monster with any amounts of modifications and then there is nothing wrong with a more neutral handling car that someone might actually enjoy on a winding road.

You don't need to be travelling at very high speeds to notice the nose heavy handling characteristics and how easily the outside front tire loads up and yes of course you can compensate by lifting off the throttle. The Golf R has different handling characteristics even though it is the same platform and drivetrain.

You don't need to be travelling at very high speeds to notice the nose heavy handling characteristics and how easily the outside front tire loads up and yes of course you can compensate by lifting off the throttle. The Golf R has different handling characteristics even though it is the same platform and drivetrain.

That's the point I was making. The car has been designed to handle a certain way. Understeer is the default option, as it's safer for the driver.

That's the point I was making. The car has been designed to handle a certain way. Understeer is the default option, as it's safer for the driver.

The point I was making is that you can modify the handling for a more neutral handling car that is a bit more enjoyable to drive and the S3 will never be an oversteerer.

The point I was making is that you can modify the handling for a more neutral handling car that is a bit more enjoyable to drive and the S3 will never be an oversteerer.

Have you tried the more recent incarnation of the S3? I can make mine step out, but I'd need to be trying, no daft speeds are required but its not that hard, whereas I need to be driving like a plum to get some understeer, and that's on damp roads not dry, never had it on dry roads unless driving like said plum but at maximum plummage, but then I'd totally expect some kind of traction loss....

These statements re the S3 being plagued with Understeer have always confused me, as have the statements saying that you cant have fun in them, guess that's down to expectations though and style of driving?

I live in the Peak District, roads like the A537, A531 and A54 to Bosley from Buxton, I'd need to be driving like an absolute whooper to unsettle my S3 Saloon, not something I'm willing to risk.

Have you tried the more recent incarnation of the S3? I can make mine step out, but I'd need to be trying, no daft speeds are required but its not that hard, whereas I need to be driving like a plum to get some understeer, and that's on damp roads not dry, never had it on dry roads unless driving like said plum but at maximum plummage, but then I'd totally expect some kind of traction loss....

These statements re the S3 being plagued with Understeer have always confused me, as have the statements saying that you cant have fun in them, guess that's down to expectations though and style of driving?

I live in the Peak District, roads like the A537, A531 and A54 to Bosley from Buxton, I'd need to be driving like an absolute whooper to unsettle my S3 Saloon, not something I'm willing to risk.

Sure you're not confusing lift off oversteer vs oversteer?