Understanding offset!!! + Wheels size tips etc

Blueie

He who dears' wins!!
Reaction score
Right, I want to buy some nice new rims for my audi! I have 18" RS6 wheels at the mo and lowerred 50mm on Eibach springs. And with a full car or hit a bump the back scrapes a bit. Not much..... BUT was that due to the offset of the wheels?

Anyway...... I have been looking thru the forum what people go for size and offset and everyone is different :think: Sooo here is where i ask your help, i was after 18's really but if i find some sweet 19's for the right price i would go for them.

What offset do i go for?
Does the offset change with the wheel size?
What will scrape and not scrape, when lowerred 50mm?

:thumbsup:

Well.............. ill sell you 3 of the wheels! The car off the road at the mo. An old man came down the slip road the wrong way and we had a lil bump, so drivers wheel .......... how can i say it NOT round anymore lol. And another wheel was curbed to hell by previous owner so as im doing her up and putting S3 bumper etc so going for new wheels and do the job right as i want it!

Well.............. ill sell you 3 of the wheels! The car off the road at the mo. An old man came down the slip road the wrong way and we had a lil bump, so drivers wheel .......... how can i say it NOT round anymore lol. And another wheel was curbed to hell by previous owner so as im doing her up and putting S3 bumper etc so going for new wheels and do the job right as i want it!

:lmfao: Ok, maybe you could pay me to take them off your hands then! :happy:

The offset changes how far out your wheel sits in or out of your wheel arch. The higher the number the closer to the suspension and further away from your wheel arch. The lower the number the further from your suspension but closer to your wheel arch. The width of the wheel (ie 8.5 ect) will affect this as a wider wheel will obviously be closer to the wheel arch and suspension. Also the tyre width that is fitted to the wheel will affect this (narrower or wider tyres can be fitted to a wheel but only within reason) this will bee 225/235 etc.
Ive been told that the ideal 19" wheels for the 8p (new shape) A3 to avoid rubbing would be 8x19 with et50 offset and 225/35/19 tyres but these seem hard to come by.

to avoid rubbing would be 8x19 with et50 offset and 225/35/19 tyres but these seem hard to come by.

Thanks alot cimic! But will the above size not rub when the car is lowered? Im gonna be on the hunt for wheels now!!

Ohhh another question what is the max an min offset to go for! For example came across these Porsche wheels Front 8J x 18" ET50 / Back 10J x 18" ET 65

Thanks alot cimic! But will the above size not rub when the car is lowered? Im gonna be on the hunt for wheels now!!

Correct, ET50 8Jx19" with 225's will not rub at all.

Ohhh another question what is the max an min offset to go for! For example came across these Porsche wheels Front 8J x 18" ET50 / Back 10J x 18" ET 65

Have you checked the PCD? Most Porsche wheels are 5x130, so you'd need hub adapters which are usually 20mm+, which would effectively make the fronts ET30. Oh and the rears are much too wide, 9J is the max really.

Ahhhh 9J max! Good to know! I never thought looking for wheels would be so hard! Im really fussy and want to be different! And make it look good! Also your right about the Porsche, they were 5 x 130