Underboost issue p2261 and p0299 2.0TSI

BrizZeR

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I have 2008 A3 2.0TSI CAWB with 114 kilometers
a month ago I did stage 2 tune and after 2 weeks I noticed I have P0299 errors on my OBD11, I thought it was a faulty DV issue .. so I replaced the DV, at the first run, car actually felt more responsive , but after leaving the car overnight and driving again, car felt heavy and slow on reaction ever since. I checked again and found another code: p2261 Turbo boost pressure not detected mechanical with the p0299, I thought that the DV I installed was faulty and a few days ago I replaced it again, but same outcome, P0299, and p2261 issues and the car doesn't accelerate as before and feels heavy.
I checked for boost leaks -none
replaced DV
Checked Turbo - there's slight wastegate freedom (common issues in this engine) but it doesn't suppose to throw those errors even if the wastegate was faulty.

on ross tech, i found the same code but not the same message i have with that code
it says that its a faulty N249 and im thinking about replacing this next ..

can someone shed some more light on what can be the reason ?
i really didn't find anything online that help about
p2261 Turbo boost pressure not detected mechanically

Thank you

18693/P2261/008801 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction

Possible Causes
  • Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249) faulty
  • Wiring/Connectors from/to Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
  • Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
If the wiring and connectors/connections look OK then it's going to be the N249 valve that needs replacing.

18693/P2261/008801 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction

Possible Causes

• Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249) faulty
  • Wiring/Connectors from/to Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
  • Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
If the wiring and connectors/connections look OK then it's going to be the N249 valve that needs replacing.

Hey, well the N249 is the DV, correct? it was already replaced 3 times and tested with a known good DV and the car had the same issue and same faults.
correct me if im wrong about the N249

but I have an update about it , the other day I went back to the guy that did the tune(he doesn't actually do the tuning he send it to STM and they do it for him) and i asked him to set up another tune that i tired before and the car was perfect .. and guess what , the car feels alive now !
the thing is, this tune have pops and bangs and on my setup, it sounds like CRAZY !! so i guess he will need to fix the other tune i had ..
thing is now only 1 of the messages pops up, i have the P2261
but not the P0299

what could be the reason?

I would suspect the map is still not correct then, this code is for the boost pressure sensor not the diverter valve. Have you replaced the boost pressure sensor or you just been playing around with the DV?

The N249 is a valve that controls the vacuum/boost signal to the DV that tells it when to open...

I would suspect the map is still not correct then, this code is for the boost pressure sensor not the diverter valve. Have you replaced the boost pressure sensor or you just been playing around with the DV?

i just replaced the Diverter valve , i was told that in my engine the n249 is the DV
can you please show me the N249 on my car ?

i was thinking about repalcing the N75 before checking with another tune

i just replaced the Diverter valve , i was told that in my engine the n249 is the DV
can you please show me the N249 on my car ?

i was thinking about repalcing the N75 before checking with another tune

Your right the N249 & DV are two in one on your engine, on older models there two separate items.

hey guys
im still having that issue, im about to replace my turbo, and I really hope that this will solve this problem
I tried to change the tune, the car drove amazing for a few days or even weeks but then began to slow down, right now the car is driving ok but not as it should. im still having p2261 constantly, p0299 happens only when doing a kick down - I guess at top rpm or something like that
I did some logs if someone wants to check and tell me what he sees.
im really afraid that the turbo replacement wont solve this issue, in the logs i can see that the turbo won't keep the boost, but if that's a turbo issue than why after changing tune the car drove really good? :huh:

UPDATE:
Yesterday I replaced my turbo and the issue got solved
if anyone encounters this issue in the future consider checking the following things before looking at the turbo itself :
*Electrical connection from DV to N75 and to the rest of the car.
*boost leaks
*for most people it was a DV issue when the DV was faulty or when they changed the original DV to a DV+
*check the N75 itself