Under Bonnet Sound Deadening

GrayT

Reaction score
I've just fitted my new R8 Oil and Coolant caps and was aware that they say the coolant one touches the sound deadening material but... my bonnet doesn't have any!

I'm sure all my previous motors had some. Does everyone on here? Does this mean mine was ripped out at some point? I'm guessing that material also has pretty good heat insulation properties and with the heat from the turbo is the plain metal bonnet OK with that constant engine heat without it? If it is then I'm not bothered. Just interested to know if mine is missing or if it's a "some models have, some models haven't type of thing"?

Mine doesn't have any but mine is a 2001 SE (not sure if that makes a difference). Always wondered about this also, but never thought to question it...

some b6's didnt have them god knows why

Funnily enough, I was thinking exactly the same yesterday.

Mine doesn't have one, and when stationary in traffic in rain you get masses of steam off the bonnet as it evaporates. A bloke yesterday thought the car was on fire there was that much "smoke".

Did any of the 1.8T models have one?

Well the main thing is I'm not alone! Thanks for the replies guys. Noticed the steam in the rain too.

I asked a similar question when I got my 1.8t a year ago.

Consensus seemed to be, the TDI's have it, and the 1.8t doesn't.

Makes sense I suppose, as the tdi is a noisy lump in comparison to the 1.8t.

I asked a similar question when I got my 1.8t a year ago.

Consensus seemed to be, the TDI's have it, and the 1.8t doesn't.

Makes sense I suppose, as the tdi is a noisy lump in comparison to the 1.8t.

That does make sense and it is pretty much confirmed by the posters and the vehicles they own in this thread. Cheers.

Does anyone know if adding one to a
1.8T would cause problems?

Not trying to deaden the sound, just stop the rather disconcerting steam!

Was thinking along the lines of increasing the temperature, making the turbo warmer and the already struggling oil turn to Sludge that much faster!

Mines a 2004 Tdi Sport and I don't have the sound deadening?!?