1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Under Body Heatshield

Wrath Jun 23, 2014

1. Wrath

Wrath Registered User

Noticed a rattling noise from beneath the car, started to panic slightly but had a look tonight and one of the heat shields has corroded around the bolts. Managed to get it off. Does anyone know whether you can run your car without it or is it not a good idea? Any rough ideas on the price?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Paul B7

Paul B7 Registered User

Hello Wrath,

I have had two cars where the heat shield has started to rattle and on both cars my solution was to dispense with the shield altogether. It never cause me any issues at all ...................

Paul B7

4. Wrath

Wrath Registered User

If my car catches alight then I'm blaming you :)

5. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

One of the rear heat shields on my A6 started rattling last week, I got an old heat shield which I cut up and made some large washers to go around the corroded sections been fine since.

6. Wrath

Wrath Registered User

But you're clever :)

7. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Registered User

Must be quite common issue on B7s as am sure this was mentioned as advisory on one of my old MOTs.

I can only assume its been either replaced or removed as no rattle and no mention on recent MOT. Must be made on cheap metal.

8. novril

novril Registered User

Can you not just make a massive repair washer to clamp over the rotten piece? That's what I have always done, either a big washer with a smaller one to keep a tight fit on the stud or make a little plate out of something to clamp it down.

9. alpesh26

alpesh26 Registered User

I had the same issue on my 1.9tdi, i just put a big mudguard washer on the bolt so it clamped the heatshield on the metal that wasn't corroded.

It only seemed to corrode around the bolt, so it could be a reaction between the bolt metal and the heatshield metal??

10. Wrath

Wrath Registered User

I was thinking that but one of the holes is massive. Have no idea how expensive they are to buy new as no one online appears to have them.

11. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I've got a few bits of old heat shield you can have. Should be able to make some large washers with them.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. hades-

hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

iv removed a few and never had any problems