Uncommon v6 swirl flap error

bonifacy87

Reaction score
Hi. I've got an engine management light on recently. After scan I shows this error

53952ceac5bf0a341884becc3a59e1c0.jpg

Engine is running fine.
I've found a guy who can provide refurbished flaps with servo for 180 euro with a lifetime warranty. My question is. Should I buy whole kit or just a flaps or a servo? If I decide to buy a flaps and after the swap the error is still there can the servos be replaced without taking intake manifold out?

One more thing. Does anyone know someone who could tackle it for me? Willing to travel for an hour one way from High Wycombe Buckinghamshire.

Hi Bonifacy87,
I am having the same fault at the moment and have ordered the swirl flap repair kit to try that first and hopefully wont have to replace the actual flaps themselves.
I haven't got round to fitting them yet. every time I clear the code it stays off for a few weeks anyway.

my fault is: P2020 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2

parts I have waiting to be fitted:
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....ir-for-2-7-3-0-tdi-inlet-intake-manifold.html

Hi PB2.7TDI
I've read about this repair kits. Unfortunately in most cases they fix an issue for only couple months. Our error is a bit different than the others which is about flap positioning.
Still worth a try for couple quit.
Are you planing on doing so any soon?
Hope it'll fix it and we both save some quid.
Looking forward for results.

i will likely be fitting the new rods next week but wont be able to tell if its fixed the problem for a few weeks to see if the eml comes back on lol

Fair enough. I think I'll get one too. Do you mind me asking how far away from high wycombe are you. I don't thing I'll be able to do it myself and definitely don't want to damage servo in any way. To see if this helps the best woudl be to wait for the light and then changed it without clearing the error and see if the error goes away itself.

Sorry I'm up in the north east of England.
Good idea. I might wait until the fault shows up and then replace them. If it clears the fault for a few months and then comes back i know then the flaps will need replacing. I was planning to remove the inlet manifolds to see how much carbon build up there is and how much play in the flap shaft. I'm having the egr deleted this week so hopefully should stop further carbon deposits

A bit to far away unfortunately.
I'd love to see how much carbon I've got there too.
Egr delete sounds good. I was thinking about it too. Do you mind me asking how exactly are you going to do so? I was told that to fit blanking plates from both sides dpf need go out as there no other access. Sound quite expensive.

I'm getting the dpf delete and egr. Along with a remap. They are going to cut it open and gut the interior then weld it back up for mot purposes. £350 altogether

Just 350. That's really cheap. Is this a proper price or mates rates? Could you give a post code to that place? I might be within my reach as the price is very tempting.

Unit 9 remap's in PeterLee. They have a website and facebook Page. Also a forum sponsor

Your error suggests either a faulty motor or damaged cabling. The motors are available separately for about £120.

After checking to see if the cabling is good, I'd strongly recommend saving yourself the money and effort and buy a manifold from these guys on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320999908475?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The parts are a significant improvement on VAGs own design with less moving parts to fail. Motors are brand new Siemens VDO as well.

I've changed one of the banks on my dads B7 3.0TDi with the Automotoscraft Manifold and if I'd known at the time, would have saved a fortune and done the same on the other bank. Instead I got my pants pulled down by Audi and bought a new one for £500+ for that side.

@dpaz great advice. Thank you very much. I've got big dilemma right now. From one side I've already said to Bobby that I will take his one and from other here are brand new complete units.

Big thanks to Bobby. Had to replace serco on bank 2 which is driver side. So far so good. Hopefully stays that way for long. If they start playing again I'll definitely get rid of them.

Hi. I've got an engine management light on recently. After scan I shows this error

53952ceac5bf0a341884becc3a59e1c0.jpg

Engine is running fine.
I've found a guy who can provide refurbished flaps with servo for 180 euro with a lifetime warranty. My question is. Should I buy whole kit or just a flaps or a servo? If I decide to buy a flaps and after the swap the error is still there can the servos be replaced without taking intake manifold out?

One more thing. Does anyone know someone who could tackle it for me? Willing to travel for an hour one way from High Wycombe Buckinghamshire.
I've yet to see the flaps in the intake fail, it's either the rod has come off or the actuators that has failed, you can use vcds to actuate the motor and check the operation of each side or cycle the ignition and visually check them for full movement, the 5pin actuators on eBay are new genuine and are around 160 quid
And swapping the actuators is very easy

I've yet to see the flaps in the intake fail, it's either the rod has come off or the actuators that has failed, you can use vcds to actuate the motor and check the operation of each side or cycle the ignition and visually check them for full movement, the 5pin actuators on eBay are new genuine and are around 160 quid
And swapping the actuators is very easy
We've checked the actuators with vcds and both were moving fine. No slack on the arms as well. We've decided to change the actuator that was throwing an error at every start up after clearing with vcds and so far so good.

Reactions: AudiS3-Turbo
I have just discovered that the previous owner replaced the rods himself to resolve the error but it has obviously came back.
How easy is it delete the flaps altogether?
Do u have to change the whole manifold or just vcds work

As mentioned above there is a software change required as well as removing the flaps etc.
Cost will depend on if the ecu can be flashed via obd or if it requires boot mode on the bench.
I've had some cp14 ecu's from 2009 that require boot mode. This is because Audi have updated the map during a regular service and introduced higher TP (tuning protection).

Basically we won't know until we try it.
But for the long run saves a lot of hassles with motors, arms etc

Hope that helps.
Bobby

Thanks Bobby. I have reset the fault and it's stayed off for now but I fear it will come back at some point and need sorting properly then

Reactions: bobby singh
Unit 9 remap's in PeterLee. They have a website and facebook Page. Also a forum sponsor
Do you live in peterlee?! Small world! haha i recently had my dpf gutted, egr disabled at richard martain Automotive Solutions in peterlee industrial estate, using DNA remap which is great there barely any smoke on initial acceleration which is what i wanted. Running aprox 310 with 630 nm
need to be sure the maps are good, iv seen another 3.0tdi driving about and its like a smoke machine!

Do you live in peterlee?! Small world! haha i recently had my dpf gutted, egr disabled at richard martain Automotive Solutions in peterlee industrial estate, using DNA remap which is great there barely any smoke on initial acceleration which is what i wanted. Running aprox 310 with 630 nm
need to be sure the maps are good, iv seen another 3.0tdi driving about and its like a smoke machine!

Hi Youngy93, I'm not from Peterlee myself (Newcastle) but had the dpf delete and remap done by forum sponsor unit 9 remaps.
I have not noticed any smoke from mine since the work was done so all good.
do notice that its louder and revs higher at motorway speed which is apparently due to the auto box

yeah I'm down in Horden,

Hi Youngy93, I'm not from Peterlee myself (Newcastle) but had the dpf delete and remap done by forum sponsor unit 9 remaps.
I have not noticed any smoke from mine since the work was done so all good.
do notice that its louder and revs higher at motorway speed which is apparently due to the auto box
uf wort comes to worst and the flaps comes back. We can delete them and map them out

Hi Bonifacy.
has the fault stayed off since you replaced the servo?
mine is back again :-(