Ultimate/Final 8P Oil Thread

...last year audi used Shell 5w30 on mine, this year they have switched to Shell professional 0w30 they told me that is the new high performance engine oil they use...just a little info...
That is what I got told as well. I am now topping up with the 0W30.
Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W30

Any chance of getting the types of oils and capacities for transmission, bevel, haldex and rear diff?
i would be interested to see whats needed for my S3 8P 2009 manual

for BKD users: on haynes it saying 5w-30 with 507 spec, i'm using 5w40 502 spec. quantum from beginning and it's awesome, my mpg on morotway is 55-60mpg, being diesel with turbo got rather highest temps than petrol.

for BKD users: on haynes it saying 5w-30 with 507 spec, i'm using 5w40 502 spec. quantum from beginning and it's awesome, my mpg on morotway is 55-60mpg, being diesel with turbo got rather highest temps than petrol.

I absolutely agree on this. 4 mechanics so far have told me that 5W40 is the way to go for BKD (especially if mileage is high and turbos on BKD suck).

Oh dear , looks like I've got some more work to do .

Quantum Platinum 505.01 5W40 certainly won't give you the best mpg .

Quantum Platinum is 13 Centistokes @100°C and LongLife III is 12 .

It's so close they are a gnats wisker appart almost the same grade and as 5W30 Quantum-Longlife III is the higher quality oil with higher performance parameters and better mpg it's a no brainer..

Change the medium quality oil for a high quality oil .

studio_20150502_193638-png.57468

a0afd9a1-3c05-4710-ae48-c546863a7514_zpsptpu77ch.png

2016-06-03-08-36-39-jpg.93062

2017-01-20%2008.14.48_zpsvyhbt2yb.png

Oh dear , looks like I've got some more work to do .

Quantum Platinum 505.01 5W40 certainly won't give you the best mpg .

Quantum Platinum is 13 Centistokes @100°C and LongLife III is 12 .

It's so close they are a gnats wisker appart almost the same grade and as 5W30 Quantum-Longlife III is the higher quality oil with higher performance parameters and better mpg it's a no brainer..

Change the medium quality oil for a high quality oil .

studio_20150502_193638-png.57468

a0afd9a1-3c05-4710-ae48-c546863a7514_zpsptpu77ch.png

2016-06-03-08-36-39-jpg.93062

2017-01-20%2008.14.48_zpsvyhbt2yb.png
In fact I'm only telling what I use (5w40) and what I seen recommended on my haynes manual (5w30), probably you re right but I prefer my devil the I know rather than unknown, as well just sharing the experience, I can tell also that my dad using shell 0w30 on his 2.7tdi for over 5 years and over 60000 miles done without any problem, car start on tick any weather.

I drive a 2010 plate, A3 2.0tdi 170bhp CBBB engine. I have owned it since new, always used 5W/30 507 spec.
It has REVO remap to 205bhp. Same engine, turbo, clutch etc. Just hit 220,000 miles!

Just don't drive it within an inch of its life, no need, has loads of power!
Don't remap it to death, never thrash it when cold, you know the score.

No problems.

But, I'm a bit of a ****** for oil changes!!
I do it every 5000 to 8000 miles, I don't do the 10,000 or 20,000 mile thing that VAG say.

In fact, I'm changing it again in the morning, after only 5000 miles.
For the cost of oil, compared to the car I love, I think its worth every penny!!!

(don't tell the wife lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Retroman and Marek196c
So this isn't the ultimate oil thread then? the 1 vehicle that has an oil quoted is far from enough to stop more and more questions about oil in the forums.
Mine isn't listed in the owner's handbook in standard formats, but a Registration search on Castrols website offers 2 versions of 5w30 and a 0w30.

3.2 V6 - owner's handbook says; LongLife Service VW 503 00 and Fixed Maintenance VW 502 00, which means what in normal oil language?

Apparently. - http://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php

VW 502.00
Oil for gasoline engines. Successor of VW 501.01 and VW 500.00 specification. Recommended for those which are subject to arduous conditions. It must not be used for any engines with variable service intervals or any which are referred to under other specifications.
VW 503.00
Long-life gasoline engine oil for VW cars with WIV (system for longer service intervals). Also meets ACEA A1, SAE 0W-30 or 5W-30 specification.

and this to worry about too;
VW G 055 175 (A2)
Special working fluid for Haldex clutches. Developed by Haldex and Statoil.

None of those are good and won't be 504.00 507.00 as that spec is strictly a 30, albeit a thicker 30 .

Is the racing ester 5W40 , Fuchs Titan Race Pro S , Motul 300V , Red Line , Gulf Competition any cheaper for you ?

Hi @Gazwould, thanks for the reply - I’ll look into these brands - I enquired about Fuchs recently but they could only get the Titan Pro S out of Aussie. I’ll look into the other brands.
Cheers

I work with a chap who previously did testing work on the VW / Audi 'PD' tdi engine when they were having issues with cam wear from the fuel injectors.

He was v.keen on highlighting the importance of finding oils that meet the 505 requirement as this has an additive to resist break down at high contact pressures. I'm also certain enough about the 507 oil to run my PD tdi on the 507 rating as it replaces the 505 requirements according to vw. No failure yet at 145k miles.

I can't comment on the 2.0tfsi but as it is specifically mentioned in the manual I'd make sure you always look for this for the sake of the high pressure fuel pump/cam wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Popped my plate into the Shell oil finder tool and get the ecs/ect version for economy and then the av-l version of helix ultra for performance. All the variations in the name can be confusing - ag, af, aml etc. Can’t they just keep it easy to understand.

Good advice from this thread. However, having had a look on Opie Oil, I can't find many 5w-40 oil with 504.00/507.00 spec.

Want to do an oil change next week so really want to source some suitable oil for a S3 Stage 2+.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You won't 504.00 507.00 is strictly a 30 grade albeit a thick 30 .

Stage 2+ , 5W40 Millers Nanodrive CFS NT+ .

None of those are good and won't be 504.00 507.00 as that spec is strictly a 30, albeit a thicker 30 .

Is the racing ester 5W40 , Fuchs Titan Race Pro S , Motul 300V , Red Line , Gulf Competition any cheaper for you ?

@Gazwould is the Fuchs Titan Pro S comparable to Millers Nano CF NT+, both in a 5/40 grade? I can now get the Fuchs off the shelf (here in NZ).

Stg2+ S3

Cheers

I’ve been using VW Quantum 5w30 for our 2.0T (and whatever Audi uses when its in for a service).

Given that the car is now 13 years old and covered 80k miles, should I switch to something thicker?

What would you guys recommend?

80K young , only switch if you have a oil consumption issue .

Reactions: maxpayne
Just to throw a spanner in the works...or oil...i use comma 5/50 and have been very pleased although i might drop to 5/40 this year as i have a decent IC now.
https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/175

Comma oils are well known i the racing world but not really a high St brand, that said with internet buying who cares. I switched to this stuff from Mobil 1 about 10 years ago. Works well in wet plate clutch motorcycle engines as well. In the Audi at 80k miles on stg 2+ i dont have to top up between changes.

My thinking with oils is if you change them often enough you will be fine. There are some ****** expensive oils out there from big brands and a lot of your cash goes on advertising and sponsor ship, it doesnt make the oil any better and with the really high spec oils you are probably throwing away 50% of your purchase price when you change then at 6-8k miles.

Last edited:
What is the thickets you would recommend for this engine?
Currently using Millers 5w40 and it's not using large amounts of oil, but I am topping it up every so often.
With 118k on the clock and I do 15k annual, is there a better oil I should be using? I'm also looking at stage 2 in a few months.

It would depend on if there's any prolonged higher engine temperatures , trouble is going thicker reduces mpg and power output through increased drag .

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
There is always a trade off somewhere, but MPG is good on mine (36mpg on a long run and 30-32 regular usage) so I can't moan at losing a bit of MPG at the benefit of more protection. At 118k it's more important to keep it healthy.

My MPG figure actually improved when i went stg2 and to a 5/50 oil. I think there are so many variables when trying to clock MPG you would hard pressed to notice a difference between a 5/40 and a 5/50 oil. To my way of thinking if 5/50 reduces smoke then you are reducing carbon build up which can only be a good thing.

If folks fancy trying a value for money 5W50 Motorsport oil , Comma do one .

5W50 is about as extreme as two cold and hot viscosities get .

For some reason when doing motorway miles the oil consumption is disproportionately higher than in city driving. Most mileage of the car is from the latter. Stick to 5w30 then? Or even go 5w50?!

Thanks.

have a look seven posts up this thread Gaz :) #62

I know..

For the price..., just keep forgetting about these cheaper group 3's with high ZDDP for the noise of Ester racing marketed oils .

Used to run Mobil 1 15W50 Motorsport in the S14 over a decade ago .

Motorway , higher sustained temps so getting burnt off a little .

I know..

For the price..., just keep forgetting about these cheaper group 3's with high ZDDP for the noise of Ester racing marketed oils .

Used to run Mobil 1 15W50 Motorsport in the S14 over a decade ago .

Motorway , higher sustained temps so getting burnt off a little .

Interesting info here. Is it possible, then, that my car is burning off a bit of oil? I can't see any leaks, but I'm having to top up relatively often. It's 2.0T with stage 1 remap and 90-something thousand miles, and it's almost all motorway miles - like, 2-hour runs.

How much is it using and what oil. does it smoke at night in the headlamps behind if you boot it ?

Interesting info here. Is it possible, then, that my car is burning off a bit of oil? I can't see any leaks, but I'm having to top up relatively often. It's 2.0T with stage 1 remap and 90-something thousand miles, and it's almost all motorway miles - like, 2-hour runs.

Motorway miles will certainly burn more oil. We have a 2.0T also and it’s fairly thirsty.

@Gazwould is the Fuchs Titan Pro S comparable to Millers Nano CF NT+, both in a 5/40 grade? I can now get the Fuchs off the shelf (here in NZ).

Stg2+ S3

Cheers

@Gazwould - I can no longer get the Fuchs Pro S easily in New Zealand.
I can however get the TITAN Supersyn LONGLIFE SAE 5W-40 fully synth oil - would this be ok?

Anything 504.00.

But there are Ester Racing alternatives to the Pro S like Gulf Competition , Red Line , Millers Nanodrive CFS NT+ and Motul 300V.

I am now using the new Mobil1 5/50. Its reduced consumption to pretty much nil and no smoke.
I ran the old Mobil 1 in my EXUP between 95 and 2005 and did over 100k miles on that and it was still running fine. I took the top off at 90k to shim it and it was like a new pin inside. Admittedly oil changes were every 2k miles but even so.

Anything 504.00.

But there are Ester Racing alternatives to the Pro S like Gulf Competition , Red Line , Millers Nanodrive CFS NT+ and Motul 300V.

hmm ok, the Supersyn is a 502/505. I can’t get any of the ester based products above too easily. I’ll have to order our of Aussie.

maybe I’m overthinking this whole oil thing!

Yup
There are literally millions of performance cars round the world running on mainstream oils with absolutely no problem. If #Porsche are happy to put Mobil 1 in new engines at the factory it's probably ok :)

Reactions: samuelh_888
hmm ok, the Supersyn is a 502/505. I can’t get any of the ester based products above too easily. I’ll have to order our of Aussie.

504.00 should have some ester hense I recommend it .

Reactions: samuelh_888