Facelift UK RS3 Saloon/SB (400ps) Order Thread...

Yes it was, initial deposit. They did ask for more. I refused

I shall try that game with them, then when Cardiff Audi call me on the 30th to book an appointment to configure and order I will say sorry I'm ordering with Coventry.

It looks like the configurator has had a tweak, it's now showing the comfort and sound package which includes..

• Bang and Olufsen
  • Hill-hold
  • Rear-view Camera
  • Advanced Key
We had already worked that one out though.

It has also updated the wheel package descriptions. If you choose one of the £695 wheel options you are getting wider front tyres too. 255/30/19 on the front and 235/35/19 on the rear. This is of course the same as on the pre facelift cars. I guess the theory is fitting wider front tyres gives more front end grip and with narrower tyres at the rear, less understeer. Just one for those speccing the standard wheels to consider. I guess they are 235/35/19 all round?

For those that were asking about TPMS, this option offers enhanced readings, i.e temp and pressure displays of each tyre.

Last edited:
Reactions: autocad, AudiNutta and akeithj
Thank you for the update Leo. If the wider front wheels and tyres are designed to improve performance by possibly reducing understeer it seems strange that Audi would compromise the handling of a "standard" car?

I have asked my dealer to confirm about standard wheels

The configurator actually provides the wheel width and tyre sizes the standard front wheels are 8 inches wide and the optional wheels 8.5 inches wide, the standard wheels have 235x35x19 tyres all round.

Yes, that's correct Keith, just like the pre facelift cars.

So by choosing the standard wheels you will in effect have a less grippier more understeering car. Audi have obviously chosen the wider front tyres for a reason.

Just something to consider.

If you don't push the car to induce wheel spin or understeer then probably not much of an issue. If you do like driving hard, using launch control etc, then probably best opting for the wider fronts.

Getting wheels painted glass black and that why going for standard wheels - hmm does it really justify £695 to get an extra .5 inch on front!!

Depends what you're going to use your car for Zeppy. If there's a chance you'll tune the car, use a vbox, visit a drag strip, race track etc then you would ideally want the grippier better handling setup. How much difference do they make, no idea. I guess Audi have their reasons offering the setup this way.

Well added everything else so 695 in overall scheme isn't much if i get the better handling as would like to take to track on occasions and will tune after 3 year warranty

The only other downside to the wider fronts are expense to replace tyres. They look fantastic with 30 profile on the front.

But, the configurator for the Sportback shows it on Dunlops... I really hope it doesn't come with Dunlops, the tyre walls are straight. The Pirelli's add a lot to the aesthetics.

Getting wheels painted glass black and that why going for standard wheels - hmm does it really justify £695 to get an extra .5 inch on front!!
Yes. Mine has never understeered despite it being "common knowledge" that it understeer like a b*stard.

TX.

Edit - the OE Pirellis were awful imho, got shot of them for MPSS.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Even with the smaller front tyres you will launch without any drama in the dry.

So consensus is do I upgrade wheels or not?

Yes it was, initial deposit. They did ask for more. I refused

I've called Worcester Audi as it's 50 miles closer, sound really chirpy on the phone which gives me a positive feeling.

Appointment arranged for Wednesday next week which the soonest I can get there. They agreed a £1000 deposit if it's non-refundable. I will have to investigate the terms of non refundable but sounds good. Waiting for my dealer to call back tomorrow hen the configurator goes up, be honest with my plans and see what happens but I can see me dealing with Worcester. It's 75 miles for me and across the border, not all bad.

Reactions: ice_cube99
I can't see Matrix lights

Yep, must be an initial glitch. I have noticed what is hopefully a glitch on the configurator too but have sneaky suspicion that it may not be.

If you select the 19" Black or Titanium wheels, the optional equipment total increases by £695 (As it should) However, the ROTR price increases by £1095, a £400 difference. I thought it was a glitch but have just been on the VED website and discovered that...

171-190g/km - £800 1st year tax rate
191-225g/km - £1200 1st year tax rate

It equates for the £400 discrepancy.

Surely the wider front wheels do not change the vehicle emissions into the next band?

Now I don't mind paying £695 for the wheels but would certainly question my thought process in ticking the box if they're coming out at £1095 as a result of Audi's stupidity forcing the car into the next VED band.

Audi list the car at 188g/km with the standard wheels. I bet it is, the wider front tryes pushing the band above 190g/km and as a result pushing you into the next VED band :grumpy:

Last edited:
Agree if that the case will stick to standard wheels as upgrade not worth over £1000

Agree with the dealer to buy them separately and install after car delivered?

TX.

I think the cost for that would be extortionate as you would end up having 2 sets of wheels and 1 set at full Audi price.

• Spec the no cost standard wheels and get them sprayed/powdercoated before pickup, or even after you pickup the car.
  • Spec the no cost standard wheels, buy a set of preferred Audi wheels from Ebay, get the dealer to fit them before taking delivery and then resell on your brand new now removed Audi wheels. Probably most cost effective way of getting the wheels/style/size/colour you want.
  • Pay the £1095 for the wheels and be done with it. You're getting the wider front wheels
For me, I was already disappointed that there wasn't a 20" option like there is on the TTRS and I'd probably only give the wheels a 6, maybe 7/10 for their design so if the above regarding emissions turns out to be true, it would probably force me down 1 of those paths, they're just not worth £1100 over the standard no cost option (In my opinion anyway)

Agree with the dealer to buy them separately and install after car delivered?

TX.

I would prefer the standard silver wheels as apposed to the dark centres I think, but I want the wider tyres. Think I will just be making do with 235's.

I think the cost for that would be extortionate as you would end up having 2 sets of wheels and 1 set at full Audi price.

• Spec the no cost standard wheels and get them sprayed/powdercoated before pickup, or even after you pickup the car.
  • Spec the no cost standard wheels, buy a set of preferred Audi wheels from Ebay, get the dealer to fit them before taking delivery and then resell on your brand new now removed Audi wheels. Probably most cost effective way of getting the wheels/style/size/colour you want.
  • Pay the £1095 for the wheels and be done with it. You're getting the wider front wheels
For me, I was already disappointed that there wasn't a 20" option like there is on the TTRS and I'd probably only give the wheels a 6, maybe 7/10 for their design so if the above regarding emissions turns out to be true, it would probably force me down 1 of those paths, they're just not worth £1100 over the standard no cost option (In my opinion anyway)

You also have to continue paying the higher tax band for 5 years.

That is a major fail if true!

Changing the subject slightly, is the RS Design Pack worth it? Same for Mag Ride, do you really play around with it day to day?

I use mag ride every day. Comfort over speed bumps, auto for general driving then dynamic when going mad!

TX.

Reactions: NevMan and Djs3saloon
I have no experience of Audi's mag ride, but out of all the performance cars I have owned I have only had it on one and probably would not have it again. I take the view that if it's a performance orientated car you expect the car to be firm and form all of the various reviews I have read it seems most of the settings from various manufacturers are just to aid comfort, so not too bothered.

Afaik the standard suspension is a bit softer than dynamic and a bit harder than auto. You lose the ability to switch it around of course and perhaps will end up cursing our UK bad roads?

TX.

I've called Worcester Audi as it's 50 miles closer, sound really chirpy on the phone which gives me a positive feeling.

Appointment arranged for Wednesday next week which the soonest I can get there. They agreed a £1000 deposit if it's non-refundable. I will have to investigate the terms of non refundable but sounds good. Waiting for my dealer to call back tomorrow hen the configurator goes up, be honest with my plans and see what happens but I can see me dealing with Worcester. It's 75 miles for me and across the border, not all bad.
Deal with Scott Virgo,fantastic guy

You also have to continue paying the higher tax band for 5 years.

The VED system has changed. The £800/£1200 bands relating to emissions are only charged on newly registered cars in their 1st year.

In years 2-6, the VED band will be a standard £140pa. However, due to the list price being above £40k, it falls into the 'luxury' car bracket where a further £310 is charged.

So yeah, £450pa tax in year 2 onwards for all RS3's.

The VED system has changed. The £800/£1200 bands relating to emissions are only charged on newly registered cars in their 1st year.

In years 2-6, the VED band will be a standard £140pa. However, due to the list price being above £40k, it falls into the 'luxury' car bracket where a further £310 is charged.

So yeah, £450pa tax in year 2 onwards for all RS3's.

Ah right I see, thanks. Still don't think it's worth the huge cost for 20mm wider tyres and a wheel design I'm not 100% decided on.

There are 4 Audi dealerships where I live and I have just been told this years allocation has now all gone.

They probably only have a few - also add on top of that that they probably have an RS allowance for all models.

However it may not be totally bad - it could be easier and quicker to get a car already built!