UK reg 54 plate 2.4 V6 rear number plate lights not working - CAN Bus issue?

A6fella

Reaction score
Hi,
I cannot get my rear number plates on my 54 plate 2.4V6 saloon to work, it's not the bulbs, have checked and am only getting 0.4v to the terminals that power the bulbs.
A friend who is a mechanic has traced the wiring back to the feed panel & he says it could be something to do with the power feed from the CAN Bus set up?
As I understand it (I'm pretty technical in electrical terms) the CAN Bus sends the power down a set of connections to the various terminals at the appropriate time of electronic signal being received to light the lights & do whatever else in the car is activated/in use at the time and is managed by this CAN Bus system.

This being the case (or not if something thinks different) is there anyone out there who knows what the issue might be & how I might resolve it as I would like to avoid expensive diagnostics & having my pants pulled down by the Audi dealer as he & I dont get on and I'd like to use a local garage if possible?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Cheers

Well if it was a can issue then you'd get some error logs on the ecu anyway, I'd find someone local to do a vagcom scan 1st before anything else is done then this might help

The onboard power control module would power the lights from signals sent to it via can possibly & it could be this at fault, but unlikely but not impossible, need to check the circuit on elsawin & see which circuit it shares with as I would assume its using same circuit as something else when lights switched on like illumination circuit etc, then try connecting the bulbs up from another point in the circuit & see if works ok then.

I'll check elsawin later see if I can see what it connects to.

I may be mistaken but if this is the old shape A6 I don't think it has Can bus but traditional wiring.

Thanks for your responses guys.

NHN,
Did you have any joy looking up the item in Elsawin?

Cheers

I'll check it for you on elsawin this evening but i'm sure if it carrys all the electrical schematics

It's not the old shape, it's the new shape, Sept 2004, same as current shape but pre-LED headlight/rearlight facelift.

Hope this clarifies & thanks for your help in advance.

Back in town tonite late, so if get chance will check, but now you've told me its newer version so would of been pointless anyway in 1st instance, lol.

& it will be canbus as its new shape.