Tyres

APaxton

Reaction score
So had my car (SB TFSi 190) today for warranty work - during the complimentary health check they’ve picked up that the tyres are down to the legal minimum tread already (car has only done 9000miles and I don’t particularly drive it hard). Has anyone else had this problem? And What tyres does everyone use - the mechanic mentioned perhaps different brands might cope better).

The wear level seems over and above ridiculous to me, if I have to buy a new set of tyres every 8-9mths I’ll soon be moving to a different car!

Crikey, mine are no where near minimum at 7500 miles and mines an S5....

Wow, that is excessive! what tyres do you have?

Mine are Continental Premium Contact and still have loads of tread after 10k.

Reactions: no_idea
Have they worn unevenly? It does depend upon the driving conditions though and it varies hugely from car to car, owner to owner. One vehicle's tyre wear cannot be compared to another unless it is the exact same model and driven under the exact same conditions.

Just under 8000 miles on mine and tyres still have plenty left. I have a good variation of driving roads/styles too.

Wow that’s some quick wear!!

I’ve got 18,000 on mine and they still have c4mm on them from when it went into Audi for its service last month (Mine are Hankook Evo2s on 19” rims) and I don’t drive like Miss Daisy !!!

PS mines Quattro so I know from my previous cars that the wear is more even and slower.

Just under 8000 miles on mine and tyres still have plenty left. I have a good variation of driving roads/styles too.
Hankooks Ventus Evo S1 EVO2

I have 6mm on the back and just over 4mm on the front. nearly 11,000 miles they are Conti SP 5

Wow that’s some quick wear!!

I’ve got 18,000 on mine and they still have c4mm on them from when it went into Audi for its service last month (Mine are Hankook Evo2s on 19” rims) and I don’t drive like Miss Daisy !!!

PS mines Quattro so I know from my previous cars that the wear is more even and slower.

I think Quattro/AWD is the way forward mine seems to spin the front wheels trying to pull off when the road is anything other than bone dry.

The tyres are Conti SP 5 like Simon’s. there’s 5mm left on both the rear but the fronts were down to 1.6 and 1.74. The wear was perfectly even (or at least no more worn on one side of the tyre to the other). Id never even considered checking them recently as I assumed at 9000miles theyd be not even close to that level of wear! I’m a little concerned there’s a deeper issue with the car causing the tyres to be destroyed so quickly.

I think as long as the wear is even across the tread you’re ok (apart from needing two new tyres!).

On my previous car (non Quattro) I had really bad wear just on the inside. I ended up having the car 4 wheel aligned on a Hunter system and it was amazing how far out it was. Tech guy said pot holes and speed bumps can easily knock the camber out.

PS. Don’t forget that the S5 is Quattro too - it does make a massive difference which is why I had it as a must have when speccing the A5 after having a Quattro A4 a couple of cars back. Yes, more expensive and heavier but oh so worth it IMO.

2 wheel drive cars pulling all that weight and steering do put a lot of demands on the front tyres.

Reactions: CHEZ and NevMan
I'll be needing tyres on the front very soon, the car has done about 16000 miles so far, the rears still have 4 mm ish left on them.
I thought that they would have worn at the same rate being quattro.
Currently have Hankooks Ventus Evo S1 EVO2 on 19's, what do other people have and think of their tyres, i'm thinking about going onto Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym 3.

PS. Don’t forget that the S5 is Quattro too - it does make a massive difference which is why I had it as a must have when speccing the A5 after having a Quattro A4 a couple of cars back. Yes, more expensive and heavier but oh so worth it IMO.

2 wheel drive cars pulling all that weight and steering do put a lot of demands on the front tyres.

I think it is a definite must have next time - I wouldn’t say I’m a particularly aggressive driver; I don’t hang about and am happy to lean on the accelerator down a country road but I don’t tear around everywhere and brake/accelerate harshly for no reason. I love the car and love driving it , I don’t want to have to tiptoe everywhere for fear of burning through a set of tyres every few months!!

I notice most responses are from s5 owners - I wonder if anyone with the same fwd set up as the tfsi 190 has had a similar issue?

Reactions: NevMan
Mine’s a 252 TFSI Quattro (Ultra) SB, at oil change 9000 miles had 5mm rear and 3mm front, which I think is pretty poor for the fronts. Ultra does mean it’s FWD a lot of the time, but almost never get wheel spin so is clearly still using Quattro a fair bit.

On the other hand had a 190 diesel FWD on loan and in same roads it wheel spun all the time! In the dry with minimal acceleration. I don’t think those fronts would last long.

I think it is a definite must have next time - I wouldn’t say I’m a particularly aggressive driver; I don’t hang about and am happy to lean on the accelerator down a country road but I don’t tear around everywhere and brake/accelerate harshly for no reason. I love the car and love driving it , I don’t want to have to tiptoe everywhere for fear of burning through a set of tyres every few months!!

I notice most responses are from s5 owners - I wonder if anyone with the same fwd set up as the tfsi 190 has had a similar issue?

I had A6 190 TDi ultra, and needed to change the fronts after about 14k miles. (Did have winter tyres on for 1.5 winters) so was probably more like 10k on the fronts. Funny enough that was just before changed for 252bhp Q5 Quattro.

Quattro a must in my opinion, but my A6 with winter tyres didn’t skip a beat over the last beast from east winter, but just don’t expect front tyres to last on any fwd car with any decent power

I don't rate the conti SP 5 - lots of road noise.

Odd isn’t it, as have the SUV version on my 2018 Q5 and no road noise, but then the acoustic glass is a real step up from 2016 A6 or gen 1 Q5 I had

So had my car (SB TFSi 190) today for warranty work - during the complimentary health check they’ve picked up that the tyres are down to the legal minimum tread already (car has only done 9000miles and I don’t particularly drive it hard). Has anyone else had this problem? And What tyres does everyone use - the mechanic mentioned perhaps different brands might cope better).

The wear level seems over and above ridiculous to me, if I have to buy a new set of tyres every 8-9mths I’ll soon be moving to a different car!
I have the 190 coupe and noticed the fronts are lower than the back after just 3,500 mile! Far too many front wheel spins when I first got the car didn't help, I came from a quattro, so I was in the habit of booting it and going from junctions, I can't do the same with this as I have to wait for a bigger space before pulling off lol

On the original Hankooks (255/35R19's); just had service at 17000 miles and they were noted at 3 & 4mm front (L&R), 4 & 5mm rear (L&R).

Had it booked in for some new ones next weekend anyway, cos I had checked them myself a few weeks ago.

On the original Hankooks (255/35R19's); just had service at 17000 miles and they were noted at 3 & 4mm front (L&R), 4 & 5mm rear (L&R).

Had it booked in for some new ones next weekend anyway, cos I had checked them myself a few weeks ago.

Tyre wear varies so much, always better with more motorway driving, but heavy right foot never a good thing...at least for tyre wear

Reactions: cuke2u
Very little motorway (less than 30%), but I am notoriously light footed (though I don't drive slowly).

Fair play then mate
;-) Can't afford to cane it everywhere!

Got a good deal on Michelin PS4S's so it's getting all 4 ready for winter next Saturday.

Reactions: S32B
On my 177bhp diesel quattro the tyres lasted almost 20k miles

One of the reasons I went for PS4S's was the reported generous rim protection (F1 Assy 3's have none by all accounts).

Glad to see that this is well founded:
DSC 0023 2018 10 27T12 47 44000

Reactions: Matty_S3&S5 and S32B
I had new tyres fitted 2 weeks ago and went for the Goodyear F1 *** 3, so far i can't say i notice a massive amount of difference over the Hankooks. I took a couple of pictures of the rim protection on both sets and there's no real difference there either.
First is Hankook tyre the Goodyear.

IMG 3981
IMG 4008

I had Michelin’s on my previous car and like you couldn’t tell that much difference except they wore more quickly.

I can’t fault the Hankooks. They’re not a cheap/budget tyre and do well in tests.

Reactions: cuke2u
Just changed my original Continentals for Michelin CrossClimate+. The Contis only lasted 14k. I wanted something to handle the odd bit of snow we get in Grampian, also the fact that morning and evening temps are < 7 deg for a lot of the year, plus wanted decent wet / dry performance. I didn’t want the hassle of change to winter tyres. So far they feel very good but they’re new so haven’t pushed them. I thought noise may be an issue but not noticed much difference.

How are you getting on with the PS4s tyres? I am considering them despite the cost! What is the road noise like?

Touch quieter than the Hankooks it came on. Definitely better in the cold and wet. Better on initial turn in, still after 4k.

The rim protection alone has paid for itself in two unfamiliar multi-storey car parks, so I figure I'm still winning ;-)

My S5 came with Bridgestone Potenza I think they are, not a huge fan of the tyre to be completely honest, braking in the dry isn't fantastic, can't justify scrapping yet but will be happy to see the back of them

My S5 came with Bridgestone Potenza I think they are, not a huge fan of the tyre to be completely honest, braking in the dry isn't fantastic, can't justify scrapping yet but will be happy to see the back of them

My TTS came with Potenzas and I didn't rate them at all on that. Noisy, harsh and total pants in the wet. Got rid of the car before the tyres wore out though, so tyre life ok. Not sure I rate Bridgestone anywhere near the same as Michelin, Hankook, Goodyears or even Falkens (all of which I have had on cars in the last 6 years).

My TTS came with Potenzas and I didn't rate them at all on that. Noisy, harsh and total pants in the wet. Got rid of the car before the tyres wore out though, so tyre life ok. Not sure I rate Bridgestone anywhere near the same as Michelin, Hankook, Goodyears or even Falkens (all of which I have had on cars in the last 6 years).
Glad to see it is not just my opinion, had P zeros on the S3, never changed the tyres on them, although think fronts were down to 3mm after 23k miles, and chopped it in at that point.

Will definitely looks at some PS4s for the S5 when these get lower, maybe at 3mm or so.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk