Tyres

andyam

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just after some advice on experience. Currently have a 2.0Tdi. When I got the car I managed to get 4 new tyres from Audi and picked up some continental contact sport 3. 225/50/17 98y.
Now my fronts need changing after just under 2 years, looking for which is better option from your experience with tyres.
1. Conti Sport 3 - £220
2. Michelin pilot sport 3 - £250
3. Avon Zv5 - £180
4. Good year eagle f1 asymmetric 3 - £220
5. Pirellis P Zeros Nero GT - £220

Thanks in advance!

Heard a lot of people go on about how amazing the goodyears are, but for me I would stick with conti's all round imo

Goodyear eagle F1 for me

For some reason I have found contis to tram line for me especially as treadwear increases. Dry weather conditions are good but wet are not so.

Never had such problems with the goodyears and both dry/wet weather conditions are excellent but at end of day it's down to personal preference

I have Avons on the Front and Contis on the rear normally. I have winters on at the moment Michelins. They are all pretty good.

Andy, Eagle F1s are by all accounts a top tyre. I've just replaced my Contis with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Best tyre I've had on. This is my second set.

I found the Conti's are definitely the worst tyre for tram-lining I've ever had.
Had PS3's all round last time and they are hands down the best tyre I have ever bought.
I went for a set of Goodyear Asy2's this time for two reasons, firstly they were £25 per tyre cheaper and secondly because they score higher in tests.
They are very good, no question - maybe even slightly quieter but the PS3's edge them in just about every condition.
The Goodyears must have a slightly softer sidewall or something too because the car feels a little less planted and they will spin up under acceleration in the wet easier, the Michelins would hardly ever do that.
It's worth noting that the rim protection is probably a bit better on the Goodyears which helps on 19's.
The Avons will, without question, saw-tooth if fitted to the rear (again, talking 19's here) as that's what was on it when I bought it. Got them to replace them after a week.

Everybody loves a good tyre debate!

Reactions: ub7rm
Keep in mind the PS3s are a different tyre to the Super Sport. At one stage I thought they were the same due to Michelins marketing here, but they aren't. I would put the Eagle F1s, P Zeros and the Super Sports together for a comparison. I have said before though that I shy away from the P Zeros. It sounds like you either love em, or hate em. I've read and heard too many mixed reports to take that gamble on an expensive outlay. The other two? well I can only speak from my experience. The Super Sport is a high performance summer tyre. Very suited to my conditions and car.

This is the problem with tyres, everyone has their opinions! I have been searching on here as I need a new set of tyres soon and have come down to 2 - Continential Sport Contact 6 or Vredestein Ultrac Vorti. I have used Continential twice before, once on this car and they did tram line (had my memory jogged by posts in this thread) and I had Vredesteins on the S4 when I bought them and they were brilliant. Think my mind is made up!
Good luck making up yours, I find tyrereviews.co.uk to be good - though read some reviews as I tend to ignore the 1 star and 5 star ones and go for the others as they are often more truthful & balanced. (Get it, 'balanced!!')

I'm on Vredestein Ultrac Vorti on my S4, fantastic tyre. When they are due to change I'll be putting the same back on, or whatever Vredestein are putting out then.

I assume your price is for a pair? If not then you're being had!

Personally, if I were you, I'd get the same put on the front again. If you have a pair of tyres then they work as a pair, which is fine, but if you have a different pair on the back then you have 4 tyres working as 2 pairs and not a set of 4. If you have the same (or very similar tread patterns) on all 4 wheels then the tyres work as a pair on the same axle and also across axles diagonally, so they work as a whole set of 4 together. Better for overall stability and grip.

Once you wear them out again, if you want something different, then change all 4.

I'm having four Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 3's fitted tomorrow - £112 each 245/40/18
So your quote seems quite steep for 17"ers ?

Will be interesting to see if there is any difference between the asymmetric 2's I have fitted at the moment and the 3's.

I'll add another voice to the conti tram line theory, worst tyres I've had on a car for a long time, tram line and out of shape, just awful.

I do around 18k a year so don't like anything too soft, Dunlop SportMax GT for me, think they're about the best for mileage if not for grip, but my car has way more ability than I do so it's not a problem.

i used to love ultrac sessanta's very high performance and pretty cheap. I don't think they make them any more though.
I think I'll be going for the ps3's when mine are due.

nearly 4 years i have been using 19" Continentals & i noticed they never last full 10000 miles or something gets wrong with them.
even right now i have contis with the full thread & its making wearied noise while driving on slow speed.

I will try Goodyear this time & see how they perform.

i used to love ultrac sessanta's very high performance and pretty cheap. I don't think they make them any more though.
I think I'll be going for the ps3's when mine are due.

I was looking at Ultrac Sessanta's (245 40 18) last week or so. Camskill have them at £82 per tyre.

I'm looking at UniRoyal RainSports as well, but not sure which ones to go for

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s323p111671/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_245_40_R18_93Y_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_71dB

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s323p111673/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_245_40_R18_97Y_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_C_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB

Any suggestions? They're for a TDi 150, so no need for anything too performance-orientated

The price is for a pair

I know, but there is only £2 a corner difference - shop around and you should save £30-40.

I was looking at Ultrac Sessanta's (245 40 18) last week or so. Camskill have them at £82 per tyre.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s323p111671/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_245_40_R18_93Y_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_71dB

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s323p111673/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_245_40_R18_97Y_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_C_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB

Any suggestions? They're for a TDi 150, so no need for anything too performance-orientated

I have rainsports on the VRS (FWD TDI) - only done 2500 miles and the fronts are getting low. They just don't last as they are a soft compound for wet weather. Others say the same. Ok tyre though.

2.5k?! That's worrying! Think I'll run with the Vredestein's in that case.

When they first came out they were rated as best in the wet and came only second in the dry to the goodyear assy2's.
Well worth the £82!!

Reactions: A4 SJC
I've ran them before with no issues, on a Jetta TDi and on the Mondeo.

Have a bit of a soft spot for them

I've had Goodyear F1s on several cars, excellent tyre, were even good in the snow on my S3. My current S4 has P7s, which seem OK, but probably not as good as F1s, or the PS3s I had on my 3.0TDI which seem in the same league as F1s. The 3.0TDI had 97 load rating, the S4 only 93, which would make the sidewalls softer. F1s are available in 93 or 97 load rating, I would trade a bit of ride comfort if 97 load rating handled better. I can't see why the S4 has a lower load rating as weight is virtually identical, did they change from B8 to B8.5?

Reactions: jaya4
Just be careful with the Sessanta's, you need to make sure they are not old stock as they finished doing them a few years ago. Tyres perish, even if stored in a warehouse. Standard line is that once your tyres are 5 years old then you should have them checked out by a proper tyre place every year to ensure they are still safe. If they have been sitting in a warehouse for a few years....well.....

I find the Eagle F1 to be a great tyre . The new compound the Assy 3 is out now, improves on everything over the old tyre.
Had a look at tyreleader where i get all my tyres from and the assy 3 225-50-17 is 96 pounds each.
www.tyreleader.co.uk

can't believe how bad the tram lining is with the contis, i won't be having them again!

Reactions: 8BallAddict, ruairi83 and ub7rm
Another 'stay clear' of Conti's from me. Absolutely diabolical tyre. I have a set of Conti winter tyres which are absolutely brilliant, but the SC's tramline and make a racket. The car sort of lurches about when they're on. If I didn't have a different set of tyres I would have thought that it was something wrong with the car - but since all the issues go away when I put the winter tyres on its clearly the SC's. Avoid.

Reactions: 8BallAddict
Just has the Asymmetric 3's fitted - got to say I'm a little disappointed. They have gone for a chunky/rounded look - don't really look like a low profile tyre now.
They have also reduced the size of the rim protector - doubt it would protect the alloys if a kerb jumped out in front of you!
May go back to the asymmetric 2's next time.

Well, this thread was a really interesting read for me! Had never heard about tramlining. I'm currently considering options for replacement 19's for my S4. Had it for 5 weeks now and it came with Conti SC3's on it but now they are getting a bit low and I appear to have a slow puncture on one of my fronts that cant be found and I'm getting bored of pumping it up every other day. Now, on all my Audi's in the past, I've pretty much always run Pirelli's and been more than happy with them. I'm sure they've saved my bacon on a few occasions, which is why I won't ever scrimp on decent boots for my cars! Seeing as I've only really ever run Pirelli's, I don't really have much to offer to this convo other than agreeing with the posts from people saying about Conti's and tramlining! I did have a set of Michelin Pilot Sports on my last A4 for a few months and they seemed to give good levels of grip though. I've just been thinking about getting the tracking and overall drivability of my car investigated because I seem to be always fighting with the steering wheel as the car is wild - as in pulling all over the place! I've actually just looked up 'tramlining' and the description definitely describes exactly what I feel in mine. So, that's the end of Conti's for me. Makes my decision a whole bunch easier now as I'll either be going back to Pirelli's or maybe trying another set of Michelins!

Reactions: xpoweruk and golfather1
In general I like Michelin tyres, we have a Costco card so Michelins should be cheaper there, though if I did go for them I'd look elsewhere first as Costco Michelin deals might not be all they used to as I discovered when I bought Alpin Pilots for the winter wheels. Pirelli Zero Rosso, that is what my car was fitted with at factory and something tells me that I'd really like to replace like with like before putting the 19" summer wheels on! Decisions decisions!!

In general I like Michelin tyres, we have a Costco card so Michelins should be cheaper there, though if I did go for them I'd look elsewhere first as Costco Michelin deals might not be all they used to as I discovered when I bought Alpin Pilots for the winter wheels. Pirelli Zero Rosso, that is what my car was fitted with at factory and something tells me that I'd really like to replace like with like before putting the 19" summer wheels on! Decisions decisions!!
I may be wrong but I think I found the Pirelli's to be slightly more hard wearing whereas I got more grip from the Michelins but not as many miles. The one set of Pilots I had on my 170 TDI, the fronts were gone within 6 months, obviously that was front wheeled driven and not Quattro so I might try another set and see if they last any better this time round. Think I'd prefer more grip in reality anyway! Especially with my impending 'minor' modifications I'm getting done!

With the low mileage I tend to do in my S4, I'm with you there on grip over ultimate miles life.

Well, I've just ordered in a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and will be getting them fitted on Monday so I'll report back as to if it resolves the 'wild' steering I get sometimes!

Reactions: xpoweruk
@8BallAddict sounds like I'm a tad late, but worth noting that Mitchlen don't recommend the PS3s for the S4!
[URL="http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/wheels-in-for-refurb-new-rubber.252536/page-2#post-2640468"]Wheels in for refurb & new rubber[/URL]
That said the tyres were great, vast improvement over the tram lining contis
But I had issue with the road noise.
Cheers for the message - never too late until there on and paid for! :)
I spoke to Michelin direct today and your right, they didn't recommend the PS3's. They recommended the Super Cup, Super Sport and the new PS4's. Super cup is an obvious no - its not a track only car. Super sports are a pure summer tyre and the PS4's....well, not heard anything about them yet and not available most places from what I can see. I know the PS3's are AO tyres so shouldn't be too bad....I hope!

Reactions: Keef
Do the PS3's come with a mileage warranty?

The PSS I've been eyeing up come with a 30k guarantee or money back per mile that you fall short.

Thanks for all the input I went with the eagle f1 assymmetric 3. Fitted yesterday. So far so good, but only time will tell. The guy tells me that no where in Bristol stocked them as they are so new

Cheers for the message - never too late until there on and paid for! :)
I spoke to Michelin direct today and your right, they didn't recommend the PS3's. They recommended the Super Cup, Super Sport and the new PS4's. Super cup is an obvious no - its not a track only car. Super sports are a pure summer tyre and the PS4's....well, not heard anything about them yet and not available most places from what I can see. I know the PS3's are AO tyres so shouldn't be too bad....I hope!

That has always been my worry about using Michelin "normal sports" tyres, as you say "pure summer" tyres, even my local Costco warned about this when I was buying Exlto for wife's old Polo, maybe this is why I will still aim for "same as factory fit" on my S4, which is Pirelli Zero Rosso (AO).

Edit:- Also the Exalto winter performance was what forced me to a summer/winter tyre+wheel change strategy - which gives the best performance all year round.

Well, I had to get rid of the Conti's and have got the Michelin PS3 and well, what a difference!! The people that slated the Conti's on here were, not that I was doubting them, absolutely correct! Now that I've swapped them out I can really tell how bad they are!! @ub7rm is completely correct with his statement that the Conti SC's are a diabolical tyre. The tramlining was terrible and they were noisey as hell! My car feels like a completely new car now. The steering is lighter, no sign of tramlining whatsoever and they are so quiet I can even hear the stock supercharger whine, would I couldn't hear before with the Conti's on! Not driven them in the wet yet so have to reserve judgement on that but so far, massive difference and massive improvement. I can now drive my car without the worry of automatically veering into the nearest field or tree if I momentarily let go of the steering wheel! Yippee! :racer: