Tyres for A4 B8 3.0TDI SE Avant

Ricvifarho

Rattle and squeak detector
Reaction score
My A4 B8 came with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. Great for grip, roadholding, braking, but road noise and comfort are v.poor! With the 3.0TDI engine being so quiet it only makes it worse. Over some surfaces it becomes a resonance which you can feel through the steering wheel. Is this just a Pilot Sport problem and would a change to Eagle F1 Asymmetrics or Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas help, or is it just the B8 chassis?? Any B8 3.0TDI owners with different tyres out there? Comments would be welcome!

Also, anybody tried winter tyres on a similar car yet? Up in Aberdeenshire, winter tyres are pretty essential Dec-Mar, and Vredestein Wintrac Extreme are my normal choice on previous cars.

I found the older eagles (GSD3) to be noticably quiet, not sure if that follows over to the assymetrics though.

As for the weather up here..... You should have baught a quattro ;)

Mine has Pirelli Cints and they are totally useless.Like you, I am a big fan of Vredsteins.Also love the 3.00tdi .Had a Merc C class 320cdi and that sold me on big six diesel engines.The Merc is meant to be best 3.00 diesel in the world but I think the Audi is better.Having said that I have only got 7k on the clockand engine still quite tight.Auto on Merc was smoother tho'

Try Toyo Proxes CF1. I have them on my B8 3.0 TDI and they are silent, also great grip.

Thanks folks- yes it is a quattro- and wet weather performance is terrific. I have 10k on the clock now and engine is loosening up. I will add Toyo to the Goodyear and Vred shortlist.

Other thoughts- Drive Select set to Dynamic is v impressive, but you wonder whether Audi has de-tuned the throttle response on Auto to make Dynamic stand out? How is it on a non-drive-Select 3.0TDI anyone?